Dryer and bathroom share the same exhaust vent

Things to look out for during your inspection.

It’s also a good idea to open any exhaust vent hood louvers at the exterior. You never know what you may find.

Such as bath exhaust vent pipe blocked by exhaust fan installation manual.

Or even where builder at new home forgot to connect exhaust vent pipe to the vent hood.

1 Like

Just curious but is there a actual code anywhere against this ?

Not a good idea , I could not find code info …

More info here

Range exhaust - Bathroom exhaust connection.

seasoned spectors not knowing or being able to find the basics kill me
what a f-ing joke! so much for tenure or nevermind y’all get it i hope
both irc §15 & imc §5 cover this
dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems and shall convey the moisture to the outdoors

Or use the correct duct material for the concealed duct work.

“tenured spectors” not knowing or being able to find the basics kill me
what a f-ing joke! i don’t know why i expected any more
both irc §15 & imc §5 specifically cover this
dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems and shall convey the moisture to the outdoors

Yes.

No doubt.

Nonmetallic flex duct is allowed for bath exhaust venting, at least in my area.

Bob,
I get where you are coming from, but the lint in the bathroom fan is telling us the dryer exhaust is not making it outside. So you are pumping humid air into the bathroom.

1 Like

There is a code for this, here is the Florida version:
FBC M1502.2 Independent exhaust systems.

Dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems and shall convey the moisture to the outdoors.:wink:

Sorry but I’m not convinced. I find it nearly impossible to believe that the builder routed the dryer to the bathroom. In 14 years, I’ve never seen it or heard of it. The material on the grill appears to be on the outside of the grill. Dust build-up is what normally happens when the exhaust fan is sucking dusty air over a long period of time. Indeed…that’s the purpose of the grill–to keep dust out of the blower fan.

Did you attempt to find the discharge for the dryer on the houseside? If you are wrong, you’re going to look pretty silly to the seller’s contractor they hire to “fix” this.

Hmm, no provisions for fire spreading there?

It has been metal only around here for a long time. As the ruffled feathers :stuck_out_tongue: indicate, every inspector needs to know what their area allows.

Joe,
Yep. In fact, I turned the dryer on too. It clearly was coming out. You’d be surprised at what pass.

Note, in 6 years, this is the second time I’ve found this. Maybe you have been missing it :wink:

The AHJ’s must be a little stricter in your area. No one in my area requires metal ducts for Bath vent exhaust. I don’t know of any vent manufacturers that do either, they recommend metal duct, but it’s not required.