Every inspector should have this IR tool

http://inspectorsunite.com/forum/thermal-imaging/136-insurance-adjusters-and-water-restoration-contractors-using-ir

Yes, only those that do what I do and use the exact same tools are doing a good job.
Everyone else is lessor.

Better link http://inspectorsunite.com/forum/thermal-imaging/136-insurance-adjusters-and-water-restoration-contractors-using-ir

Not sure I understand your point Bob…?

The dialogue around here seems so lopsided against any form of IR that isn’t with a $7k camera and again as much into training and education costs that I think we a missing perhaps another larger point.

Basic IR technology is available at a reasonable cost from the folks who invented it at:
FLIR out of Santa Barbara, CA

If you are a home inspector who is not utilizing the very basic form of the IR technology in an effort to be a better inspector, by all means don’t use it.

It was once said that those who don’t read are no better off, than those who cant read.

I will most likely pursue further education and training but it doesn’t stop me from seeing it in another light as well… Best

Inspector unite having problems getting hits so they come to a real inspector MB to fish for suckers?

lol

I think we are in fact saying the same thing… Thanks Frank

Start something other than controversy and I’ll pay you some attention.

We are also water restoration contractors and are an IICRC certified firm (it is the other aspect of our business). We were using IR before the explosion of courses and certs that are now available. Factory reps generally did the instruction. Here is the thing, it is a great tool, but if you are an experienced water damage tech, the case probably rarely comes off your truck. You simply don’t need it to know how to chase water if you have the right training and experience to know how to assess the damage and apply a plan for drying. You may use it at the end of a job as a precaution…but again, rare. Ours rarely left the office. Now, I own two Flir products and use at least one of them everyday on inspections. But we don’t keep one on the water/mold truck. Give me a good meter and some drying equipment and I will find it and get it dry. No IR necessary.

Still waiting on those images of yours Rick

Chuck,

I think you will probably need these before you ever get the images you mentioned. Of course we also need to keep in mind he said has an issue uploading images from his phone as he stated before. :wink:

http://www.westwatch.net/forms.html

Just who the **** are you?

The guy that does 5 inspections a day. Looking for information on hiring …

Now you have a water and mold truck. Manned by whom , may I ask.

You do thermal imaging on five inspections a day!?

I need to talk to my DEA friends. I think your more than recreational…

We had an Inspector here that would bring all his fancy tools and equipment to the inspection, set them out on a counter, and then never use them. Apparently all he wanted to do was impress the client’s and REA. Maybe that’s the case with the 5 inspections a day? :wink:

Mr. Andersen,

3 of my inspections this year were for FBI Agents (there aren’t many in Vermont): we got that covered.

Yes, we have a thriving restoration business that has been part of what we have done since inception. (that info is on the website)

We have a 16 ft box truck fully loaded with drying and mold restoration equipment. We also do fires, puff backs and used to do suicide/crime scenes (no longer). We also clean carpets and sell popcorn…well, we could.

We have 4 inspection vehicles and a staff of 4-6 depending on the season. I have added a helper. It has gone fabulously well.

I did 5 inspections once this year. Just once. We do 3-4 per day on average, 7 days per week. We will be at the 350 mark shortly.

We do thermals on each property, yes. You do thermal imaging…you know how that goes, so I don’t really need to tell you…and know that me, nor anyone else could seemingly. But thank you for asking. Should I not do this? Should I just get trained, purchase equipment but not apply the training or use the equipment on inspections? Just checking and it is a valid question to ask such a professional like yourself.

You are being professional right now right, Mr. Andersen? Just checking. It is my preference going forward. So, as I appreciate your effort to try and discredit me (for reasons only you seem to know, curiosly), it is wasted effort and time. I am regularly booking almost 3 weeks out. I am sure it is because I don’t know what I am doing and only a minority of people have figured that out, or say, possibly just you.

So, yes, we do these things and more. We have done 1000’s of dry downs, mold claims and fires. Probably more than you have done in your inspection career. But there is always more to learn. And i am happy to be open to that. How are you doing with such openness? Again, just checkin in. I hope you are doing well and having a great year! I am sure you are the best in your neighborhood. Keep up the great work! All the best!

Mr. Scanlan,

Actually, I carry as few tools as possible at any one time. For a few reasons:

1. weighs me down

2. you look like a rookie, carrying everything you own

3. you look like you just have a bunch of great tools but aren’t necessarily a good inspector

4. the more stuff hanging off of you, the easier it is to knock a lamp over or mar walls, etc.

5. a great system allows your tools to stay close. we try to have a great system that is ever progressing.

Thank you for your feedback and thought provoking question. It is truly a valid one. All the best!