Floating Chimney Syndrome

To me this article is right on the money explaining the difference between Code and Acceptability. But then again, it is all up to the eyes of the beholder, in this case the Owner.

The Floating Chimney Syndrome

This is one of those things that really bugs me. It isn’t actually wrong, but it could certainly look much better.
This foundation is poured concrete and the brick veneer for the chimney has been placed on top of the foundation, at the same level as the first floor, instead of on a brick ledge at ground level. Since brick chimneys are generally a major focal point, this pet peeve is hard to dismiss.
One normally expects an object as large as a masonry chimney to be anchored securely to the house and its footings. However, a surprisingly large number of builders apparently don’t give this a second thought, so many homeowners end up with what you see here. The ultimate effect, particularly in this example, is that of a chimney floating in mid air.

There are reasons for building a chimney like this, they just aren’t very good. The foundation contractor saves time but not necessarily money. While he does not have to do the extra work of preparing a special brick ledge, more concrete is used in the foundation. The mason saves time and money by not having to build a block foundation and installing less brick veneer. The builder saves the cost of the brick and block that would have been needed if the brick had started at the ground. Perhaps most importantly though, it is simply easier for everyone. No one has to take the extra time to figure out where to set the brick ledge and no one has to do any special work. Imagine how much easier, and less expensive, it would have been to install the brick veneer on the front in the same way. Before you build, check to see how your chimney will look when it is finished. If the answer is not to your liking, ask for a price to install the brick for the chimney so that it starts at finish grade. Better yet, tell your builder that this is one of your “pet peeves” and ask him to see if the foundation contractor and the mason could work together to figure out a better way. If this happens to be your house, some well placed shrubbery will hide the unfinished foundation from casual viewers, but plants cost money too. Besides, it would still bug me!

Compliments of BE4U-BUILD.COM

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

That is an aesthetic item that would just never cross my mind. To me, it would look just as bad to have the brown brick all the way up from the ground against the white foundation faux brick.

I sure am glad we don’t have many fireplaces, or any basements here!! :smiley:

Ahh, just wait until the Pole Shift, Blaine; It’s getting pretty warm up here already . . .

Hi. Blaine, and thanks for you comment.

My fault, I have been working with Architects and Engineers for too long,:slight_smile: and now find myself thinking like them and everytime I see something like that I know better.
I do my own foundations and go from there on.

Being or have been a Residential Draftsmen in the early 70’s might have something to do with it. Believe me, if I would have done that foundation, you would not see white brick and know how to do it. ha. ha.

Like the Article says, spend more on the foundation and save on others, it all balances out in the budget numbers.

Marcel :slight_smile: :wink:

I think it started. Daytona was supposed to have a high of 73 today and tomorrow. Now that is just plain cold. Too cold for swimming or fishin or golf!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Tradeja.

Been banging 100, sometimes more, here last couple of weeks.

Too hot for swimming, fishing or golf!!

I guess you guys are not into aesthetics Design. Right? ha. ha.

Sorry about that.

Marcel :wink:

I think it started. Daytona was supposed to have a high of 73 today and tomorrow. Now that is just plain cold. Too cold for swimming or fishin or golf!! :grin: :grin: :grin:7/23/07 6:14 PM

Sounds like President Bush’s “Global Warming Machine” is back up and running
with temps like that.:stuck_out_tongue:
</IMG>

I’ll agree it is at best some of the worst and may also be a height issue but it’s hard to tell from that angle.