Garage/house fire door

When a homeowner puts a Pet door in a garage to house fire door, would this not render nthe door nineffective? What best way to report this?

Fire resistant door breached with a pet door. Noted at the house to garage door. Recommend to remove and replace with a 1 hour rated fire resistant door. You could recommend that the hole be covered with 3/4" plywood or 26 guage sheet metal. However I do not since it is something that could be removed and be unsightly. IMHO

yea i agree, it completly changes the rating and effectivness of the door

Same problem with most pull down ladders in the garage celling

rlb

Actually, depends where you are at. I had the same situation with window garage doors. I spoke to county code enforcers and they told me that they allow it. It was not a safety issue. I had the same hard ache, but I can’t put it as a discrepancy. Most new constructions are built with glass window doors here. Check first with your local code enforcement agency!

Check your facts; garage to house door needs to be 1 3/8 inch solid wood, 1 3/8 inch steel or 20-minute fire-rated. Glass is permitted as long as it meets the fire rating; IE, large pieces of glass (unless fire rated) is unacceptable.

Beef

Actually, I did check with the code enforcement office. The said they don’t even check to see if so. I don’t doubt that it should be fire rated. The fact I’m saying is that they don’t check and don’t care here in my county. I called twice and spoke to 2 of the code inspectors.

Ed,

Wasn’t talking about your facts; talking about a 1 hour fire door.

Beef

A cat door has been installed in the door between the attached garage and the house.

This negates the fire resistant rating of the door and breaches the fire resistant rating between the house and garage.

This is a safety hazard and needs to be repaired.

I am not the best with words, but that should work.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Don’t garage/house walk doors on attached garages have to have an auto-closer on them to keep any combustible fumes out also?

No requirement in the IRC.

Beef

Highly recommended by NFPA and the IBC, check with local jurisdiction if required in your area.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

**Your state has adopted the ICC codes. **

**Therefore this is not only considered a “safety hazard” but is also considered a code violation. **

Since this door poses a “Safety Hazard” it should be removed and replaced with a solid door.

2006 International Residential Code for One and Two-Family Dwellings
Part III - Building Planning and Construction
Chapter 3, Building Planning
Section R309 Garages and Carports
SECTION R309
GARAGES AND CARPORTS

R309.1 Opening protection.
Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or*honeycomb core steel doors *not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.

2006 International Building Code
Chapter 4, Special Detailed Requirements Based on the Use and Occupancy
Section 406 Motor Vehicle Related Occupancies
406.1 Private Garages and Carports.

406.1.4 Separation
1. The private garage shall be separated from the dwelling unit and its attic area by means of a minimum ½-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side.

Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than a 5/8-inch Type X gypsum board or equivalent.

Door openings between a private garage and the dwelling unit shall be equipped with either solid wood doors or*** solid or honeycomb core steel doors ***not less than 13/8 inches (34.9 mm) thick, or doors in compliance with Section 715.4.3.
Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Doors shall be self-closing and self-latching.

ICC makes every effort to provide current, accurate code adoption information, but in some cases jurisdictions do not notify ICC of adoptions, amendments or changes to their codes. To ensure you have accurate information, please contact the jurisdiction directly.

**Click here to print Adoption List"**Washington Statewide

2006 International Building Code
2006 International Fire Code
International Fuel Gas Code
2006 International Mechanical Code
2006 International Residential Code
Washington Jurisdictions

Arlington
2003 International Building Code
2003 International Energy Conservation Code
2003 International Existing Building Code
2003 International Fire Code
2003 International Fuel Gas Code
2003 International Mechanical Code
2003 ICC Performance Code
2003 International Property Maintenance Code
2003 International Residential Code
Battle Ground
Bellingham
Cheney
Edgewood
Federal Way
Issaquah
Kennewick
Lacey
International Building Code
International Existing Building Code
International Fire Code
International Fuel Gas Code
International Mechanical Code
International Residential Code
Lynnwood
Montlake Terrace
2003 International Performance Code Code
Orting
2003 International Plumbing Code
2003 International Private Sewage Disposal Code
Selah
Yakima County
International Urban-Wildland Interface Code

A 20 Minute door is a minimum standard. I prefer to recommend the 1 Hr rated door when a fire door needs to be replaced. In fact 75% of the fire doors here in my area are a 1 hr. door and when you see a 20 minute door it kind of suprises you.

If that’s he case, I hope your reports reads something like----

‘Although only a 20 minute rated door is required, I personally recommend a 1 hour rated door. This extra fire rating will protect your family far greater the minimum required.’

When you recommend replacement of the roof shingles, do you also recommend the seller install Timberline 35 year shingles?

Beef

It is common for a fire door to have a fire protection rating lower than the wall fire resistance rating in which it is installed.

This is justified in part by the fact that, under normal conditions of use, the potential fire exposure in the vicinity of a door opening is decreased, since there will usually be a clear space on both sides of the opening for traffic purposes. Since wall assemblies are put together at the site, their uniformity is not as certain as a fire door assembly that is factory assembled.

One-third-hour or 20 minute doors are used in one-hour-walls. These doors are used for corridor applications and in other applications where smoke and draft control is a primary concern.

Changing a door rating unnecessarily to a one hour rating will also reduce the size of the glazing area as permitted by the manufacturer of the door.

Although a typical wall in a residential separation between the house and garage is called a 1 hour wall, it is in fact only rated for 45 min. as an assembly. Therefore a 20 minute door is more than adequate.

You can see this assembly here: http://literature.usg.com/pdf/SA924.pdf

Just my two cents.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

</IMG></IMG>