gas meter

please read post under legal(gas meter) for previous info; Today i found out that the meter was enclosed in the work/storage/basement/crawspace in the addition in 93-94. They have been 4 previous owners including a still active real estate agent in the area. The city inspector could not seem to located the building permit for addition which enclosed the meter. The gas company had no real explanation of way the meter has not been changed since 93-94. One statement was the meter reader was not trained to evlauate the meter(?) The tax assessor didn’t even have the addition on their books? The meter was in good condition; not near a ignition sourse and was in a semi-closed space. Appeared to be safe condition. Is their more that a home inspector should have done? Why would the gas company now decide to move meter. their was only a transfer of name because the seller moved out and the buyer was moving in. Seems that the home inspector may being used as a scrapegoat(?)

Meter location is up to the utility.

A home inspection has nothing to do with that issue other than notating location for access to the shutoff.

I did not report location(?) Is this grounds for neglect?

Not exactly a monetary damage .

May be required in SOP where you are ,but I would not sweat about it.
Worry about the money items first.

I make it a practice to note materials and location of shutoffs as best I can though.

Thanks, Bob

Actually the location of the meter is important. Natural gas meters are designed to release gas if the pressure exceeds a pre-set level. It this occurs gas will be released by the regulator and you don’t want this to happen inside a home.

It is important to note the location of the meter in your report so that your client knows the location of it and it also makes you aware of the meter and if it is too close to a combustion source or if it is in an enclosed area.

If you failed to note the location of the meter and it is in an a location that is problematic you could be held accountable. If you are in a regulated state, what does your state SOP say about reporting on meters?

Exactly…

Hear you Scott ,but lets not panic the guy.:slight_smile:
You are correct on that however.

I Never wish that worst case scenario on anyone.

10 years ago we had several buildings burn down when the main pressure regulator in the street went bad .

I just hope that when smelling heavy gas the owners do not actually need the PDF report to find the darn gas meter. (ha Ha)
For the most part a normal person only needs to make sure the meter is accessible for the meter reader.

Meters can be located inside but should have a way that vents the excess gas. This is usually done around here with a run of black pipe.

Jeff

Thanks, I’ll check on state regulations. This meter has been in this location for 15+ years with 4 transfer of owernship. Why after 15+ years and being read 180+ months of reading the meter, have they decided now that it was a safety issue?

Did I read somewhere (other threads) that the meter was next to the water heater? Was the WH relocated to that position, making it too close, thus the need to move the meter?

I would not worry about the meter location as much as why there is no building permit.

Makes you wonder doesn’t it??

No Jeffrey, the water heater was no where close. Gas meter was eclosed in 93-94; the city inspector didn’t seem to want to dig up the files; the gas company, gave a round about answer as to why they haven’t don anything about it; But the 5th owner moved in last month, the gas company decided it was dangerous and made the owner move it before turning the gas on. And made reference the the home inspector should have to them about the problem. I believe the gas company is cya.

Was the gas on during the inspection??? If so how does the gas company justify this??

And then trying to say the HI should have mentioned it?
Sounds fishy to me.

It’s always the HI’s fault.:roll:

The gas was on; there was no smell and the meter was in good condition. Found out the meter on been enclosed for at least sixteen years and changed ownership at least 4 times before they (gas company) decided it need to be moved.

If the service was on at the time of the inspection, you should not be held liable for moving it now, the gas company had no problem keeping service to it at that point. If the gas company had a problem with the location, they should have had it locked out, or have had it moved previously.

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. The client seemed to think they i was responsible and was trying to get me to pay for it being moved. I Don’t Think so.

One way I try to limit my liability on situations like this is a standard comment I have in my report if I see evidence of alterations or remodeling: