Heat Source in Every Room?

A local AHJ said that One supply duct opening at living room, (opposite wall from gas furnace) is adequate at supplying sufficient heat to All habitable rooms, including three bedrooms; Even with doors closed.

Obviously you know more than him.
Thought the door was sinking in the first shot for a second .

Also no thermostat, The knob at bottom right controls the heat.http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f11/61844d1359165016t-heat-source-every-room-p1010089.jpg

I turned it up a little and within a few minutes 3 smoke alarms went off. :mrgreen:

Yikes…how old is that thing?
Time to update.

Old, probably original, house built in the mid-40’s. Manufacturer is “Winkler”, Lebanon Indiana, serial # 2239. :shock:

When did he say it, 1940? :slight_smile:

Were you writing up lack of heat sources in the rooms?

The AHJ is correct. The requirement for heat does not say that it has be be distributed via duct to each room. The heater has to be capable of heating every room to a minimum of 70 degrees, measured 36" above the base board. Simple as that.

Even if it’s 90 degrees in the room where the heater is located, if the habitable spaces reach 70 degrees, it’s compliant.

Smoke detectors will often sound when a unit is fired-up for the first time of the season. The dust that has accumulated on the burner chambers will smoke.

if the habitable spaces reach 70 degrees, that’s the if; when doors are closed preventing heat to enter. The furnace has been running all winter. It wasn’t fired-up today.

A bedroom is no longer a bedroom if the door must stay open.
You crazy cal guys do not need heat and in some cases no need for privacy. Lol

You are right but wait til the appraiser comes around!!! Funny how they are now calling out things out now!!!

Hi Paul
Please explain why you agree with Jeff besides you both being in a warm weather state.

Chris and I live in Illinois so do you think you can please explain for all of us the exact amount of air space required under a closed door for that 1940 furnace to push heated air into into a closed bedroom space and heat it to a required 70 degree temperature.

First explain how return vents work and why they are used then tell us if it is OK to open a window in in -50 degree weather as we sometimes get that in Illinois ,how about you ?

Back to subject bedrooms are required to have privacy so if the door must be open to heat the room is that OK ?

Thanks and glad you see it my way now .:slight_smile:

P.S we do not surf here either .LOL

Bob’s exaggerating, but only a little. The coldest day ever recorded in Illinois was -38°F and it happened in 2009. So much for global warming in that location.

I really don’t care what the construction standards might say, if a decent sized room(especially a bedroom) has no heat source, I call it out as a defect. It’s too cold in this state to report it otherwise.

Who cares about any requirements, codes, or whatever? Common sense to me and that’s how I’d inform my clients. Like Cameron stated, that’s how I’d report it - No/minminal heat at such and such areas - improve/correct as needed. If they are good with it (living with a central furnace), then so be it. I won’t be living there and don’t care. Maybe they’ll leave the doors open at night so they can hear each other saying, “Goodnight, John Boy, Goodnight Mary Ellen”…

Well, since the OP was inferring that the AHJ was “wrong” by stating that this is a compliant heat source, the thread was not about a “common sense” issue. The AHJ is correct according to construction standards and model codes.

According to building standards, yes it is.

That certainly doesn’t stop us from making recommendations for “upgrades,” but to call this a defect is wrong.

Having the ability to heat a residence is a life/safety concern. Privacy is not.

If you have icicles hanging from your nose because you’re too stubborn to open the door, you get what you deserve. :smiley:

The fact of the matter is, doors are not taken into consideration for the heat-source requirement. If the heat source has the ability to maintain the proper temperatures while doors are open, it is compliant - period.

Who cares what the AHJ says?

Your findings are relevant and your client gets to decide if it is a concern to him.

I’m sure you explained to your client that temps would not be consistent throughout the home.

Done.

For centrally located systems I just put in my report that the room its located in may get uncomfortably warm the rooms farthest away may not get warm enough.

AHJ technically right or wrong, I would call it out as a defect. When a pipe or a baby freezes (Frozen Babies would be an excellent band name) the person calling you about it will question why you only suggested an upgrade instead of using stronger language.

YFBMV
your frozen babies may vary

I would never call this a defect but to each his own.