Home Inspection in Houston Texas

This is just a question:
I’m in Riverview Florida - my niece is in Houston Texas buying her first home at age 24. And of course it a 1954 brick on slab. OF COURSE !!

[FONT=Verdana]Is it possible (and if yes, who do I call in Houston) to get a truly complete Home Inspection with detailed results and findings?
Or are inspectors in Texas limited as to what they can report?
[/FONT]
I just need to know if she has to hire various contractors to check this house or if
" NACHI - Texas " Inspectors are allowed to perform Full detailed inspections like we do here in Florida.

Zoe
West Central Fl. Chapter

Zoe,

As far as licensed states go, Texas has the toughest SOP in the nation. The minimum standards set the bar pretty high in Texas. A standard home inspection in this state gives a the client a pretty good picture of the condition of the home that they are considering purchasing.

Houston is my neck of the woods. Have her give me a call.

Please look at the attched Report and tell me if this what Texas considers a Full Home Inspection. I know there’s a Texas form - so I didn’t know if it linited the inforamation that " should" be reported.

Thank you so much

That’s the standard form. The report verbiage seems fairly weak to me and no photo’s are present. How much did she pay for it?

It’s the standard form all right but, like John says…the verbiage is fairly weak (actually, that’s a huge understatement). Look to the TREC SOP for what must be reported. You can also see what a more typical Texas report looks like here.

I especially liked this comment:

:roll:

Ya right, what’s the engineer supposed to be evaluating? Insulation?

That’s a nice report. I think I could do 6 or 7 inspections a day if that’s as detailed as I needed to be. . . :roll:

Thank you guys …I was very careful not to bash any inspector…
But He gave no photos, and the report speaks for itself.

So NEXT question:
Did she or did she not recive what the State of Texas calls " A Full Home Inspection"
No opions please, just facts.
Zoe

Oh Lordy! :shock:

O Lordy was not what I was looking for.

Come on John - so far your my hero…
My husband and I are both Certifed Home Inspectors and I am also Mold Certifed.
We’ve been members of NACHI long enough for Nick to reconize us by site…

We are aslo Presidents of the West Central Florida Chapter…
So .not to ring our own bell. but we know there are good guys and not so good guys.

Does Jenny have any chance of getting here fee back?
And NO- the inspector is NOT NACHI.
Zoe

In my OPINION, this report would most likely not hold up under the scrutiny of TREC.

Thank you Thank you Thank you
If you ever come to Tampa Florida - Call me -
We’ll show you the pretty places and REALLY good food that only the native know about.

Zoe

What can’t be determined from the report is if anything is really deficient. How can anyone tell if the inspector really did a good job or even followed the SOP? It would appear from this report that the house has few, if any, issues. That’s not likely though, is it? Just out of curiosity what range of numbers is the inspector’s license? For example, the 2000’s, 8000’s, 10,000’s, ?

No $h!t Jeff we’re working way to hard for our money, I haven’t seen a report as thin as that in about 7-8 years :frowning:

Regards

Gerry

That must be how the $199 inspections are done.

I would get that home reinspected since it obviously was built 70’s or 80’s with the FPE. Bet there’s alot that was missed.

Like Mike said, I’d be curious the inspector number?

[FONT=ArialMT][size=2]
[/size][/FONT]

WOW! That’s the thinnest report that I have ever seen.

Remarkably few findings for a report that starts of by declaring that the home “appears to have excessive deferred maintenance”

I like that the static water pressure is 40-60 psi, and the floor and ceilings have vertical splits in the bricks.

According to the inspector, she now needs to hire the following for additional evaluation

• a structural engineer to evaluate the attic that had no defects
  • An electrician
  • An HVAC contractor
  • A plumber

Guess she could have just started out by hiring all of the individual trades and skipped the home inspector all together. Looks like a drive-by. Was he even at the house an hour before he finished the inspection and report? This report is an embarrassment to the profession.

I always tell prospects who are price shopping that home inspections are not commodities and that there are vast differences between companies. This inspection proves the point.

I certainly wouldn’t want to sit in front of a TREC panel and try to convince them that this was a conforming inspection.

Here are some sample Houston home inspection reports for comparison http://homecert.com/HomeInspectionReports.htm

P.S. 1954 build with cast iron underground plumbing, I would have a hydrostatic test done on the lines.

His licens begins with 2 and is only four didgit.
I tried to surf Houston - City of ,a dn also State of Texas to verify whether his license was vaild or not - but never could find the OFFICIAL " verify a license portale.
I looked under Featured Inspector and he’s not ours and he’s not ASHI’s either.

Someone was gusing about the age of the home - its a 1954.

Thats anoither question I have.
I lived in Dallas until I started my second childhood at 40.
My house was a 1949 brick but my rafters were 2 x 6 - not 2 x 4.
My house had more wood in the attic than most new homes have in the entire buiding.

What do you typically see in the late 1950’s range in Houston attic’s??

OH - Hi Gerry!!

Zoe

With a number in the 2,000’s that means he’s been in business for a long, long time. Probably the early nineties at least I would think. He’s no green weenie for sure. Go here to check his license…be sure to check ‘inspector’ after entering his name or license number.

Typically 2x6 conventional framing with 2x4 purlins under-supported. I don’t recall seeing many, if any, 2x4 truss built SF roofs in 1950s, like the report states.

As Mike says, 2K series license number has probably been in the business about 15+ years (surprising)