Home Inspectors will Save our Economy and Environment

Because the Feds are going to stop funding energy audits, they have developed a clipboard (no blower door) energy audit tool.

The Feds are looking for a national group to inspect 130 million homes with it.

Share your thoughts.

I like this idea a lot! As an energy auditor I can definitely see the benefit of such a program. Does the InterNachi energy auditor program take into account other certifications we may already have like BPI Building Analyst or HERS Energy Rater?

No money in it for us, since utility companies do them for free. Even some contractors are offering these services for free, so they can get the money from the up-grades. Utility companies have the usage records for the residence that we do not have access to.

Nope.
Ancillary inspections are profitable.
Any homeowner can get a radon test for $15, yet Radon is a hugely profitable ancillary service for inspectors.

You do not need a BPI or RESNET certification to do clipboard (no blower door) energy audits.

Your InterNACHI membership is what’s necessary to perform a clipboard energy audit.
http://www.nachi.org/recovery-through-retrofit.htm#EIR.

Radon is not particularly profitable. Even Nick has written on this many times.

I provide Radon testing as a service but it ends up being about the same as a couple of low paid draw inspections when you figure in all costs.

Most radon guys here, that are doing business, charge $75 to $95 for radon. Some are even returning the fee as a credit if they do the mitigation. It is hard to compete with that. It costs me travel time, paperwork, equipment, etc. I know that Ben is trying to help us, but perhaps he needs to get back into the business so he can understand how our business has changed just in the last few months.

If you are not cheap or free, you are not doing any business these days, at least here in KC.

Just check the InterNACHI inspection articles that are free, and click on the first one listed. This is all most home owners need to know anyway.

Radon is not the point. And funding free audits is being cut.

Energy use is a national concern.

InterNACHI Inspectors are experts at educating homeowners.

The Feds are looking for a national group of experts who can carry the Energy message.

BTW: The nation’s residential buildings account for approximately 22 percent of the nation’s total energy consumption, 20 percent of total consumer energy expenditures, and are responsible for 17 percent of greenhouse gas emissions.

Utility companies will cut energy efficiency programs when supply comes online. One of the main benefits to these programs is that it helps then manage loads while waiting to build more supply. When the supply kicks in and is available for sale then efficiency programs are no longer a priority.

I have done clipboard walk-through audits for years and there are many customers who would pay for these services. Granted its not easy to find them, but if it were we all would be doing it.

http://www.kcplsave.com/residential/programs_and_services/home_audit.html

Link to free audits through Kansas City Power and Light

Ben,

Did you not say this:

I’m sure some ancillary services are very profitable(like mold testing) :frowning:

I know the EPA is all twitter about saving us from “green house gases” but all I can say is WOW!

The biggest green house gas is water vapor. :roll:

Exactly.
Free clipboard audits do not motivate homeowners. Free audits do not have any traction. But home inspections do. And the Feds realize this.

The entire energy inspection industry is changing.

Our local energy provider does them for this:

http://www.thenec.org/home_energy/index.php?strWebAction=article_detail&intArticleID=209

Isn’t Xcel in your area also Ben?

$100 max. for 1-1/2 hours plus travel time?

No thanks

Just like home inspectors, the more auditors there are, the cheaper they get. By the time you invest in the equipment, IR camera, education, etc. it would take months to be profitable for an individual self-employed home inspector. I can see Lowes offering $150 energy audits, and a free $150 gift card for you to spend at their store.

There was good money in home inspections years ago. There was good money in IR just a few years ago. Now that everyone is doing it, price is cheap, or free.

Yes, the whole industry is changing, but not for the better. Conflicts of interest is the new rule.

I am convinced that as Home Inpectors we must evolve and change with the times. This energy activity in the market can take our inspections and fees to a new level.

Show us the path Ben. Those of us who are willing to advance will take it in and go for it, the others will complain and not even try. Anything that can possibly add to the bottom line is a win.

I support what Ben is doing but check your local market.

If you think you can complete with low or free services provided by power companies and government entities and still make money.

Go for it.

If you change your trend of thought from Residential to Commercial, you will also notice huge profits to be made in the commercial real estate industry.

Saving energy at a 500,000 sf industrial Building is a whole different cup of Tea compared to a 2000 sf Residential Shaq.

In my opinion, I wouldn’t waste a moment of time for any residential energy saving inspection program, now when your talking Commercial, your talking MONEY which can/is made, plain and simple.

Understand the difference between residential & commercial, learn the commercial side of the market, and make “Real Money”.

In Colorado, over 50% of all homes have high levels of radon gas. All of the inspectors in our two main Chapters offer radon gas testing services.

It’s not about radon… It’s about a home inspectors ability to do profitable ancillary inspections while their doing the home inspection.

An ancillary inspection that adds profit without time is good.

A Radon inspecton requires a second trip to the property and that is time. :roll:

Very low margins for Radon testing.