Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 3/16/06, 4:23 PM
Randy A. Glenn Randy A. Glenn is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 107
Default New Home Warranty Inspection

Just finished a new home warranty inspection. House built 10 months ago in 2005.

No GFCI's on the kitchen sink island outlets. There were two. Also no GFCI on the outlet serving the Garbage Disposal and the Dishwasher.

No GFCI's in the main bathroom outlet.

GFCI's in the other kitchen counter outlets, Laundry Room outlet and garage outlets. GFCI's in the Master Bathroom.

AFCI's for both bedrooms.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 3/17/06, 4:13 AM
Russel Ray's Avatar
Russel Ray Russel Ray is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 19,209
Default Re: New Home Warranty Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglenn
Just finished a new home warranty inspection. House built 10 months ago in 2005.

No GFCI's on the kitchen sink island outlets. There were two. Also no GFCI on the outlet serving the Garbage Disposal and the Dishwasher.

No GFCI's in the main bathroom outlet.

GFCI's in the other kitchen counter outlets, Laundry Room outlet and garage outlets. GFCI's in the Master Bathroom.

AFCI's for both bedrooms.
Were some of the outlets protected outlets, being downstream of the GFCI outlets, or are you using "GFCI" to mean both the GFCI outlet and the downstream protected outlet?

We don't put disposals and dishwashers on GFCI circuits here in San Diego, and I always call it out whenever I find any appliance using a motor on a GFCI circuit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 3/17/06, 6:02 AM
David P. Valley's Avatar
David P. Valley David P. Valley is offline
Certified Master Inspector ®
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: METHUEN, MA
Posts: 8,807
Default Re: New Home Warranty Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray
We don't put disposals and dishwashers on GFCI circuits here in San Diego, and I always call it out whenever I find any appliance using a motor on a GFCI circuit.
Same here...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 3/17/06, 7:35 AM
Ronald Dawes's Avatar
Ronald Dawes Ronald Dawes is offline
Active Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 418
Please Note: rdawes is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: New Home Warranty Inspection

Motors can sometimes trip GFCIs when they startup. I have seen it several times with freezers in the garage plugged into the GFCI. Owner complains of it frequently tripping.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 3/17/06, 10:12 AM
Randy A. Glenn Randy A. Glenn is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 107
Default Re: New Home Warranty Inspection

The outlet below the sink was the source for the power to the garbage disposal and the dishwasher. Both being plugged into the outlet. There were two outlets on the sink island. Neither had GFCI's.
I thought at first that I might be looking at the posibility that there was a combination breaker in the garage for both GFCI's and AFCI's. Not the case. There were also two outlets on either side of the stove top that didn't have GFCI's.
I guess my question would be, would you protect outlets at a water source with a GFCI on a counter more than six feet away ? I tested the GFCI's on the surrounding cabinets but didn't think to check the outlets on an island beside the sink six feet away. I should have tripped the GFCI's and put my plug tester in the outlet to see what happened. Gotta admit I didn't see GFCI's, got concerned and didn't think to try a combination. The lack of GFCI's in the main bath are definately a "No No"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 3/17/06, 10:21 AM
Russel Ray's Avatar
Russel Ray Russel Ray is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 19,209
Default Re: New Home Warranty Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglenn
The outlet below the sink was the source for the power to the garbage disposal and the dishwasher. Both being plugged into the outlet. There were two outlets on the sink island. Neither had GFCI's.
I thought at first that I might be looking at the posibility that there was a combination breaker in the garage for both GFCI's and AFCI's. Not the case. There were also two outlets on either side of the stove top that didn't have GFCI's.
I guess my question would be, would you protect outlets at a water source with a GFCI on a counter more than six feet away ? I tested the GFCI's on the surrounding cabinets but didn't think to check the outlets on an island beside the sink six feet away. I should have tripped the GFCI's and put my plug tester in the outlet to see what happened. Gotta admit I didn't see GFCI's, got concerned and didn't think to try a combination. The lack of GFCI's in the main bath are definately a "No No"
I think the six-foot rule is old, very old.

Here we require GFCI outlets or protected outlets at all countertop locations in the kitchen and bathrooms with exceptions for dedicated outlets for disposal and dishwasher.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 3/17/06, 10:41 AM
Randy A. Glenn Randy A. Glenn is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 107
Default Re: New Home Warranty Inspection

I did what I should have done originally. I pulled out the new NEC book and read.......I'll be OK after a couple of margaritas tonite.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Florida Licensing Bill - Action Soon jburkeson1 Legislation, Licensing, Ethics & Legal Issues for Inspectors 250 7/1/10 4:50 PM
Misinformed CAHPI member? rwand1 Canadian Home Inspectors 4 8/1/06 9:39 PM
Common Defects List by Age of House trausch Inspection Education & Training 10 6/12/06 4:52 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 6:53 PM.
no new posts