The Hungry Home Inspector

I had the opportunity to read this book…Thank you Nathan.
This book may have saved me from myself. I must admit that my thoughts about Real Estate Agents have been tainted over a few one sided articles. The cover of the book is brilliant, no mistaking what it is about…making money! The font size is perfect, I could read it with or without my glasses. It was written in a way that I felt we were having a conversation rather than being told what I should do. Full of possibilities to implement when I do start my own business as well as many resources to follow up on. This book is a great read and I would definitely recommend that anyone getting into the business read it.

I’m almost done reading it…

So far the best message I see in the book is to operate your business as a business, and if I might add; not a Walmart!

As for the realtor thing, I was drafted into doing paid home inspections for a real estate agent who was a family friend. Her husband was the vice president of a huge business that may likely power your pickup truck. She knew how to “conduct business” above and beyond even the most savvy real estate agent. she has since retired but I continue to get inspection referrals (almost on a weekly basis) because of her.

I have lost a lot of business in this changing market because of being an “inspection technician” rather than a business manager. I have made things unduplicatable and more difficult for the agents without really realizing it.

This book has an awful lot of “Nathan biography” which is a little over the top, but they say storytelling is the best method of getting a point across.

There are many good points (which are not new and can be found elsewhere) that are put in the perspective of a home inspector. I would say this is a book worth reading because just like doctors, home inspectors are not very good businessman. They have a high technical skill, and generally a bad attitude!

I don’t have a bad attitude!! :-x #-o :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I was a high level manager in a top 75 Fortune company. Knowing how to run a business is only a small part of being successful. Marketing is even smaller.

Well said unfortunately some seem to enjoy the continuing attacks instead of trying to get more work.

Agreed, Thanks Nate!

If you do not know it, it must be; way beyond.

Huh?

This thread is absolutly the funniest one on the message board, thanks Gary. :smiley: