Inspection Fees

Can anyone give me an idea on how much to charge for a typical home inspection? I think maybe I’m not charging enough.

Learn what the average fee is for your market area. This is a critical first step.

Then add 15% to that fee schedule, and offer a benefit that none of your competitors offer.

If you feel you are not charging enough you are right.

bingo!!!

I’ve been looking at several sites and the average seems to be between $250 and $325. Should I go by sq. footage or by how many bedrooms a home/condo, etc. has?

Do NOT go by bedrooms…or you will lower your fee everytime you find a room, formerly used as a bedroom, with no source of heat, inusfficient egress or that opens into the garage, etc.

Sq ft is the most common.

Scott there are many that publish prices and it goes by your local and what service you provide.
In general publishing prices is a mistake , lucky for you they still do.

Now if only Doctors ,Lawyers and the Auto ,mechanics would do the same.

Exactly, Do Not publish your price. The client will already have their answer and one less reason to call you.

Also, most estimate their fee by sq.ft., and age can be a factor. Another way is try to determine the location before you give them a price. A 2500 sq.ft. home located in one specific area may sell for 3 or 4 times the price it would in another.

Scott, publish your prices. If you’re interested why I believe it’s a good practice, PM me or start a thread in the members only section.

**IMHO **I think prices shouldnt be published. Not only does it give reason for a potential client to call you but it gives you the opportunity to sell yourself over the phone. I like introducing myself, explaining the inspection process, telling them that price is’nt everything, things like that.

:expressionless:) :expressionless:) :expressionless:) :expressionless:) :|__) What a Hoot !!!

Mic

OK…

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/should-prices-published-38569/

I see no advantage in posting prices. All you will get from that is the “price shoppers”, and you lock yourself into a price that may not reflect the time and effort needed for each individual situation (house).

To me, the best bet is to garner as much information as you can as to the age, size, locatoion, etc. of the house and then charge a price that is comfortable to you and fair and equtable.

It also gives you the opportunmity to “sell” yourself to the client. Most customers will go with an inspector the feel comfortable with, price being secondary. It also gives YOU the opportunity to “interview” the customer, and make a judgemrnt call on if you even want to work with them.

For the ones who are looking for the lowest price, they probably are not a client you will want to deal with. They can become the most demanding of customers, wnating more for less $$$.

Each situation is unique, nor posting prices keeps your options open.

If you post a $300 (or other) inspection price just how are you going to explain a higher price if their inspection is not the “norm” that your published price is based on?

Use “starting at” prices.

I got a call from a realtor today asking how much for an inspection. I told her it would be $349. She said she told her client it would be $200-$250. I guess realtors set the price in some cases.:shock::shock: I’m not that hungry.:p:p

www.nachi.org/convert.htm

There you are being helpful again, Nick.

You will still be in a position of having to “justify” a higher price if the inspection warrents a higher price. Any customer would want the “starting at” price! I would imagine the “starting at price” would be low enough to generate calls, but not a price one would really do the inspection for. Thus, it becomes a “sucker” add, kinda like those auto ads on a vehicle you would never buy, but the price “sounds right” Think this is called a bait and switch add!!

Best option is “call for a quote”. Most consumers do not like being suckered into a low price offer, then being told it does not apply to them! You will lose more customers than you will gain by this method.

Pricing honesty up front is the best policy.

SELL YOUR SERVICE, NOT YOUR LOW PRICE

The justification is written right on my website. It clearly states what the prices listed are for. My experience with this method tells a different story. To each his own.

You are right, if it works for you so much the better. Just a difference of opinion on marketing style. I prefer to market/sell myself and my experience first, and have found (at least for me) pricing becomes secondary.

Therefore, each HI has to come up with a marketing plan that works for him.

That will take some experimenting, then go with what works best in your marketing area.

There really is no definate answer to this. Use what works for you, but keep an open mind if that is not working and experiment (if need be) with other options.

Bottom line DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!! But always look at what is working for your competition, and adapt as needed. Marketing is an ongoing plan, change with the times, economy, and competition. Keep ahead of the of the competition, don’t become to comfortable and miss new marketing opportunities/ideas.