Inspection Flashcard #1

http://www.bengromicko.com/images/flashcard.jpg

Inside a clothes closet, an incandescent luminaire mounted on the surface should have at least _____ inches of clearance from the nearest point of storage space.

Take a guess. (try to refrain from looking up the answer)

24 inches

12 inches

It should not even be there and metal pull chains are even worse.
Recommend switch to fluorescent when possible and also a wall switch.

The clearance to boxes and clothing is all relative to what will be put in by the future homeowner and not the present one.

Not the answer you asked for so it is 3 -4 feet approximatively .

Bob…I thought I read 42 inches from lite to clothing, paper goods etc. I could not remember for sure so went with 24.
12 as Robert says is what code chek shows in diagram. Thats sounds way too close to flammables as you say.

I believe I recall the “requirement” is 12 inches.

12 inches which includes hanging clothes, shelves, etc.

12" is the distance inside the clothes closet.

12" and bulb must be enclosed

why not suggest to install a glass dome around the light bulb and call it a day?

12" and bulb must be covered.

I say 12" but I call out all naked bulbs.

The answer is 12" from bare incadescent bulb, but I note any bare bulb in report because you do not know what new owner will be placing in closet. It is a dangerous condition in my opinion.

Answer:
12 inches.
12 inches measured horizontally. It goes to 6 inches for fluorescent and recessed incandescent fixtures. (IRC)

Inspection Flashcard #2

I know the rule is 12. I call most incandescent fixtures without a globe if its a small closet. CYA, fix it if you want too.

Porcelain or plastic lampholders of the key less or pull chain types are not, and never were allowed in a clothes closet, because they are not considered as a fixture. See 410.8 in the NEC.

(B) Luminaire (Fixture) Types Permitted. Listed luminaires (fixtures) of the following types shall be permitted to be installed in a closet:

(1) A surface-mounted or recessed incandescent luminaire (fixture) with a completely enclosed lamp
(2) A surface-mounted or recessed fluorescent luminaire (fixture)

© Luminaire (Fixture) Types Not Permitted. Incandescent luminaires (fixtures) with open or partially enclosed lamps and pendant luminaires (fixtures) or lampholders shall not be permitted.

(D) Location. Luminaires (fixtures) in clothes closets shall be permitted to be installed as follows:

(1) Surface-mounted incandescent luminaires (fixtures) installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 300 mm (12 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space

(2) Surface-mounted fluorescent luminaires (fixtures) installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 150 mm (6 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space

(3) Recessed incandescent luminaires (fixtures) with a completely enclosed lamp installed in the wall or the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 150 mm (6 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space

(4) Recessed fluorescent luminaires (fixtures) installed in the wall or the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 150 mm (6 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space :slight_smile:

it’s 12" from the ceilng and 24" from any combustables.