Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > General Inspection Topics > General Inspection Discussion

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5/2/13, 2:02 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Default Re: Inspector Failure = Lives Ruined

Quote:
With most buyers having to put down 10-20% earnest money if they just walk they lose that money.
Not if they had their stuff together...

Buy a crap house with a crap contract and find yourself in the "crap".

"working together to get-IR-done" Chris Walsh
Bracebridge, Ontario:

David A. Andersen & Associates
Clarksville - Nashville Home Inspector Lic#40
http://www.midtninspections.com
ITC Level III Thermographer Cert#1958
Building Science Thermographer Cert#33784
http://www.thermalimagingscan.com
HVAC Certification EPA Cert#2046620
BPI# 5015804
Link to my Website at: http://www.midtninspections.com/link-submission
Need a home inspection in Pennsylvania? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Pennsylvania certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/2/13, 3:37 PM
InterNACHI Member

I had a phone call from a lady last week, she didn't say where she was, who was involved with a lawsuit with her HOA for allowing KB to come into their neighborhood. She kept saying that the houses were being built without any nails. After a few minutes of conversation I figured out she was concerned about there being no nails in the roof trusses, she had NO knowledge of engineered roof trusses.
When we finally got to the crux of the issue her and her friends were mad because they had all payed well over 1 million dollars for their homes and now KB was coming in and putting up these "little" "shoddy" 3000 plus sq/ft homes that were ONLY selling for just over 300K. Yeah I laughed as well....
Is this a part of the same group??

George Russell
George Russell Professional Inspections
Lampasas,Texas
TREC # 10215
512-296-9538
http://georgerussellprofessionalinspections.com/
http://www.facebook.com/austinhomeinspections
Old 5/2/13, 4:29 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandersen View Post
Not if they had their stuff together...

Buy a crap house with a crap contract and find yourself in the "crap".
"If, If, If". If grandma had nuts she would be grandpa. How many young couples get taken to the cleaners when they buy their first home. "If" they had their "crap together" they probably would not even need a Home inspector. It is easy to find fault with the buyers but the truth is, there are many unscrupulous builders, not just in FL, but around the entire country and they take advantage of unlearned, inexperienced buyers. It does not help when the inspectors who are supposed to represent the county and protect the consumer are either incompetent, dishonest or both.

If they really had their crap together they would hire their own lawyer to go over any contract or have them draw up their own and put the builder in a position of if they chose to walk they pay nothing and the builder eats the loss but most people never think to do that. I have worked for few clients who did just that. They told the builder and their Real Estate professional they could stick their standard contract up where the sun don't shine and if they wanted to build a custom home for them they would sign "their contract" with all the penalties, etc.

Last edited by dedwards; 5/2/13 at 4:36 PM..
Old 5/2/13, 4:50 PM
New User

Please Note: Andrew A. Smith is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell View Post
I had a phone call from a lady last week, she didn't say where she was, who was involved with a lawsuit with her HOA for allowing KB to come into their neighborhood. She kept saying that the houses were being built without any nails. After a few minutes of conversation I figured out she was concerned about there being no nails in the roof trusses, she had NO knowledge of engineered roof trusses.
When we finally got to the crux of the issue her and her friends were mad because they had all payed well over 1 million dollars for their homes and now KB was coming in and putting up these "little" "shoddy" 3000 plus sq/ft homes that were ONLY selling for just over 300K. Yeah I laughed as well....
LOL, no... ours is a real situation but they did do the typical build the nice houses first and sell cheaper homes later to devalue the community. Our homes really are missing nails in some instances. Should go check out my website and watch the videos, you won't be making pokes at us anymore.
Old 5/2/13, 4:54 PM
New User

Please Note: Andrew A. Smith is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedwards View Post
"If, If, If". If grandma had nuts she would be grandpa. How many young couples get taken to the cleaners when they buy their first home. "If" they had their "crap together" they probably would not even need a Home inspector. It is easy to find fault with the buyers but the truth is, there are many unscrupulous builders, not just in FL, but around the entire country and they take advantage of unlearned, inexperienced buyers. It does not help when the inspectors who are supposed to represent the county and protect the consumer are either incompetent, dishonest or both.

If they really had their crap together they would hire their own lawyer to go over any contract or have them draw up their own and put the builder in a position of if they chose to walk they pay nothing and the builder eats the loss but most people never think to do that. I have worked for few clients who did just that. They told the builder and their Real Estate professional they could stick their standard contract up where the sun don't shine and if they wanted to build a custom home for them they would sign "their contract" with all the penalties, etc.
The issue is KB Home silences the vocal ones by buying them out and hitting then with a NDA. In our instance they sold us homes knowing of defects without disclosing them.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LVukqi1sYOE
Old 5/2/13, 5:52 PM
InterNACHI Member

Oh I do not doubt your story at all. I have seen for myself and have first hand knowledge of a large builder here who did and does the exact same thing. It is like they never learn to NOT cut corners and when it bites them in their arse they buy out those who are not afraid to speak up. The "good ole boy" network is alive and thrive in FL, always has and most likely always will. Money talks and BS walks.

Old 5/2/13, 9:20 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

It also looks like the mega-builders, such as KB, are shutting-out the little guy and taking control of the home building boom in Florida.

National subdivision developers and builders such as Pulte Homes, Ryland Homes, Ashton Woods Homes, KB Homes, Taylor Morrison and M/I Homes have all found funds to cherry pick the superior pieces of residential land in the local market, while the few small home builders in the region who survived the downturn can only watch as the prime spots are taken.

Small builders: We're shut out
Old 5/2/13, 9:34 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell View Post
More Problems for KB Home in other states, Texas buybacks
Old 5/3/13, 12:26 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

A lot of these houses are frame with no moisture barrier, some have moisture barrier incorrctly installed. Many have EIFS etc. The walls are full of mold and rotting. Some houses are unlivable, due to mold etc. This subdivision unfortunately will continue to self destruct through no fault of the owners. It will be too costly to tear down and rebulid. Insurance in most cases is not paying becaust they don't cover builders defects. It's a huge mess.

Ensuring Your Peace of Mind
Serving all of Central Florida's Home and Insurance Inspection Needs.
http://tophomeinspection.com

Aubrey Kahn
Florida License # 135
Chairman of InterNACHI Nickels
Board Member of Florida Home & Insurance Inspectors Chapter
Local Expert on "The Home Improvement Show" on WFLA Orlando, 104.5fm Saturdays 9-11am
Old 5/3/13, 3:47 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Where are the ethics here???

I worked for a large builder for many years, working from a ditch monkey up to pre-delivery inspector at the end. The site manager had a 3 strikes you're out rule---per house. Simply put, if you make 3 errors on one house, you're done. I saw many sub-contractors come and go. But, the quality was impeccable. If I ever get the chance to build my own home, I'm going to call them. The houses were beautiful. It's seems as though Florida builders need a swift kick in the a s s. What a damn shame.

I'm sorry for what you are all going through. I truly hope you can all emerge victorious and move on with your lives.

Best of luck,
Old 5/3/13, 4:32 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stremblay View Post

I worked for a large builder for many years, working from a ditch monkey up to pre-delivery inspector at the end. The site manager had a 3 strikes you're out rule---per house. Simply put, if you make 3 errors on one house, you're done. I saw many sub-contractors come and go. But, the quality was impeccable. If I ever get the chance to build my own home, I'm going to call them. The houses were beautiful. It's seems as though Florida builders need a swift kick in the a s s. What a damn shame.

I'm sorry for what you are all going through. I truly hope you can all emerge victorious and move on with your lives.

Best of luck,
Unfortunately, Florida builders will shortly control the inspection profession, talk about destiny.

Yes, I'd personally choose a CMI every time over every other inspector. ~ Nick Gromicko, InterNACHI Founder

Certified Master Inspector - 2010
Florida Licensed Home Inspector - HI176
Florida Licensed Mold Assessor - MRSA208

Square-One Inspection "Assurance begins here"

Old 5/3/13, 8:48 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stremblay View Post

Best of luck,
The 3 strikes system would be great. So our homes have leaks and they (the hoa) gave away our 10 year warranty from KB Home if KB Home is willing to pick-up the bill for DueAll Constructions work whom provides a 2 year warranty. They are trying to reuse some of the Windows which has us really worried that the places will leak and fail again. DueAll Construction from what I understand lacks the experience for a multi-million dollar job the size of Willowbrook. (Matter of opinion)

Are there any tests that I could recommend to test to see if the Windows and sliding doors are water tight?

I am going to add a link to this website on http://thekbhome.com

Willowbrook has attacted much attention within the media and it would be nice to get the word out about what you guys do and how the building industry shafts you guys and homeowners and what to watch out for.

We could keep your identity anonymous if you would like or you can use it to get the word out about nachi.

Please let me know if anyone wants to be a part of it. I have learned so much here and want this information to get out to the homeowners. When we bought our home KB Home was rated #1 and you couldn't find the dirt on them. It would have been there but you would have really had to do a lot of digging to find it.

Times have changed with my website as I have spent the last year of my life digging for the truth and making it easily available for the word to see. Google KB Home and you will see my website right under theirs on the first page of google.

The information here is what first time homebuyers need to see and that is what KB Home targets.
Old 5/3/13, 9:01 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Florida inspection licensing is a total joke. Worse than that, it will eventually kill someone.

No offense to the honest GCs in Florida, but there is simply NO WAY that any of you should wear two hats, and there is NO WAY any of you should be permitted to work on anything you inspect.

Your state's Attorney General can perform an investigation and bring charges against these municipal inspectors. Follow the money.

Florida can pass a law prohibiting builders from not allowing independent inspectors on the property. It's already illegal in many states (i think 35 at last count).

Joseph Farsetta, CMI
Co-Founder, International Association of Certified Home Inspectors

Driven by Principles, Separated by Character
I Pledge... HONESTY. INTEGRITY. CONFIDENTIALITY.
www.trustyourinspector.org

The opinions and statements expressed herein are mine and mine alone. They should not be construed as legal advice, marketing advice, or specific to any area of expertise. Readers should weigh all factors equally and understand the verbiage and the context in which it was presented.
Need a home inspection in Pennsylvania? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Pennsylvania certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/3/13, 9:05 AM
New User

Pam Bondi, what a joke. We have reached out to her more times that you can imagine and she ignores us. I had another politician tell me that its like due to her boss. Rick Scott? This stuff is so crazy that it makes you feel like a conspiracy theorist.
Old 5/3/13, 11:06 AM
InterNACHI Member

Please Note: rspermo is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I was hired by a prospective home buyer to do phase inspections on a KB home. KB would not let me! The buyer backed out!