A little on the Muti-family side of things

The company I work for is in the process of building a subdivision of 64
2 story townhomes consisting of 6 buildings with 6 units (4 - 2 story units
and 2 basement units), 4 buildings with 4 - 2 story units and 4 buildings with 3 - 2 story units. All the 2 story units are approx. 2,100 sq. ft. and the basement units are just over 1,300 sq. ft.

The 2 story townhomes in the 4 and 6 unit buildings are almost identical and are the first going up. The following pics are footings for a 4 unit building.

right side of the building looking from the front

from the right front looking across the front of the entire building. The two big squares will be the garages for right 2 units.

the rear frost wall looking from the left unit. All these units will have walk-out basements.

A stepped footing.

The garages for the 2 left units. Re-bar on the back wall of the garage for added strength, one side of the wall will be completely backfilled and compacted. All the walls in the basement will be 10’ high.

Hi Alan, nice project, I like the fact the tree’s for the most part have been left in place around the building.

It does look a little cut up but hard to tell. Looks like a few jogs in the front which will add to the framing/siding but over all not bad.

well it is good to see the Russell brothers hard at work AL is your crew having venision & onions & peppers, thanks for both good threads

Nice Allan, and I also like your title. ha. ha.

Why is there no re-bar on some part of the footings.? Curious.

Nice Job. Keep them coming. Hope everyone enjoys it.

Those simplex forms bring back old memories. ha. ha. or are they simons?

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

This next set of pics are of a 6 unit building with the first floor deck and walls up. This type of building there are 4 two story units at the upper street level, then around the back at the lower street level there are the two basement units.

Front view of the building.

Right side of the building.

Inside one of the garages with its fire separation wall. It’s required to be a 2 hour fire separation.

Fire separation wall inside one of the units.

One of many LVL’s. All the floor joists are 11 7/8" TJI’s.

These pics are of the same building as the last post but of the rear of the building with a view of the two basement units.

View of the rear of the building, left side.

Rear view of the 2 garages for the basement units.The fire separation wall divides the two basement units at the garages and goes up through the building dividing the inner units.

View of the basement from the master bedroom though the living room, through the 2nd bedroom and into the garage.

That’s it for updates on the progress. I’ll post more as construction gets futher along.

alan

Thanks Pete. There’s a tree line behind the building then an open field beyond.

Yeah there are some jogs. Take a look at the next series of pics, the first floor walls are up, should give a better view.

alan

Thanks Dennis. Unfortunately no venison here. Hell not even burgers 'n dogs.
Hmmmm! That may not be a bad idea - bring the little table top gas grill. I’m sure the subs would LOVE that. Though I have been know to order a bunch of pizza’s if the guys are really bust’n hump to make up time, especially around the holidays or for a closing.

alan

I saw it somewhere else and thought it had a nice sound to it. Hope you don’t mind.

There is some horizontal re-bar in the footings themselves. The architect required the re-bar mesh pattern to be tied into the footings only where the walls will have backfill on one side and nothing on the other and where there is tremendous load bearing down on the wall. There are some walls that require horizontal pieces and will be put in place when the walls are formed. The first building had about 7 1/2 tons of re-bar but after some complaining we got the architect to review the plans and they were able to take out about 3 tons. That helps the budget a bit :D.

I’m not sure what type of forms they are. I’ve been using these guys for years and they just love their wooden forms and they’re a couple of young guys, too.

alan

Now that is a fact worth repeating.

Couple of young guys.

I have personnally installed all the foundations for this Company for all the buildings I built in the past 37 years.
I will tell you what, this concrete sh#t is getting old and so am I.

The last time I used that type form panel was in 1985 where we switched to Western Alluminaply and recently renewed a $million worth to new Western Alluminum panels with hardware on the panels and gasketed. Drop a vibrator in the form and not a drop of leakage comes out.

That may work against you sometimes due to the head pressure. Sure make a nice foundation though.

I just wish I could hire more young bodies that know what they are doing and salvage my aching back. Well, I guess I have been spending more time in the office now and supervising, ha. ha.
I hung up my hammer holster last week. It is in the closet and will only use it for personnal use. :wink:

Nice project. Wish you luck and looks great.

Marcel :slight_smile:

Not a lot of progress on the buildings this past week due to fowl weather (weather only ducks would enjoy).

On the 6 unit building the framer finished the 2nd floor joist framing and decking and with good weather forcasted for next week should get moving on the walls and rafters. Found some pics of the this building’s foundation prior to framing.

alan

We’re still pouring the 2nd building’s foundation, a couple more pours should do it. Then we’ll be ready for water proofing, perimeter drains and backfill.

While that foundation is being poured, we’ve been digging a third building. We should be ready to start pouring the footings by mid-week (another 6 unit building). It’ll take about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks to complete the foundation work.

alan

Looking good Alan.

Looks like you guys got the rain too.

Complete washout here on Friday, 2-3" of rain.

Glad I got my slabs poured the week before and Tuesday, the only good day of the week.

Looks like you will be busy for the winter.

Marcel :slight_smile:

Looks good Al, keep the pictures coming.

Oh, man…those wooden forms (we used to call them “whalers”) bring back some less than pleasant memories and you’re right about the young guys. :smiley:

Enjoying the pics, thanks.

Thanks guys
The plan is to get one more foundation in the ground before the real cold weather sets in, then I think we’ll be all set for the winter. However, if sales picks up (sales people say there’s a lot of activity on the weekends, which is encouraging), we’ll pour more foundations. Winter construction sucks!!! Everything slows down except costs, those jump terribly, but ya do whatcha gotta do.

These guys aren’t that young 30+ something but I’ve talked to them about the aluminum forms and they want no part of them. They do a lot of work in the winter and aluminum gets too cold, the cost of switching, they’re set in their ways. What can you say. So long as everything comes out plumb and square, who cares what they use!:wink:

They poured another section of the second foundation today, almost done. The foundation hole is almost complete, surveyor coming out tomorrow to pin the hole. The framer on the first building has the second floor almost done and are setting some of the gables. With the better weather this week, things moving along.

alan

Project update

The hole for the 3rd building is dug, compacted and pinned, ready to dig the frost walls and start pouring footings.

alan

Project update

The foundation hole for the 3rd building has been dug, compacted and pinned. The only thing now is to dig the frost walls, then pour the footings.

alan

Alan, when you say pinned, what exactly do you mean?

Surveyed points for the footings?

Who does locate your foundation layouts?

Today is Sunday, are you working already? ha. ha. :wink:
I only start about 2:00 in the morning just before I wake up. :wink:

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Al, in picture #1 I can see the frame of the first building in the background, have they started on the rafters yet?

Looking forward to our meeting on Tuesday regarding the siding and trim.