Lookout Nebraska Inspectors....

…those who sell tests and schools are looking to make a buck off of you.

Read about this horrible ASHI member with 2000 inspections. This would not have happened if he had paid money for an entry level exam.:wink:

I read the article and I can see where this could have been an honest mistake. We are hearing only one side of the story. 3 complaints in 2000 inspections isn’t bad. The second home inspector said they were bad in his opinion. What does that means? Was the roof leaking? Why did he THINK they were bad?

Read the first sentence…we rely on inspectors to catch things that are not visible…are we?

Take the buyers word for it?..Why would I take his word for it?

Gee another inspector wants to make his competition look bad…Go figure.

He said he checked a skylight and chimney and there was no skylight. Maybe his report reads Skylight/Chimney and then gives an a inspection account of what was seen.

Gee a contractor states there was “Minor Leaks”…Do we even know they weren’t being taken advantage of? How many crooked contractors do you see? I had a guy once tell me the wrong orifice was used on the grill and told my client I should have known. How was I to know the orifice used without taking it apart. Tradesman LOVE to make Home Inspectors look bad.

BBB gave them and “F”. We support a company called Pro Lab and look up their BBB rating…its a “F”.

I see the intent of the story, but it seems way ONE SIDED to me. Sound like someone is trying to shake the money tree and see what is gonna fall out.

This is the typical exploitation that the proponents for licensing use to “justify” the need for selling their tests, schools through licensing laws. They are of so little value that…after years of trying to convince experienced inspectors that the NHIE would “set them apart” from the newbies (and failing at it)…it is now sold to states as an entry level test for hamburger flippers and stock boys to pass to meet the minimum standard for licensing.

Consumers have to be tricked into the need since none of them will actually come up with it on their own. The only consumer advocacy group to ever take a stand on a licensing law was the national association of Homeowners Against Deficient Dwellings (HADD) who opposed it.

I can understand licensing…I mean the premise behind it. I know it solves nothing. But whats the answer? If free reign of idiots doesn’t work, licensing doesn’t work. Then what do you suggest? I just hate the idea of many things are good then people just find way to circumvent the intent.

So what do you propose we do? I don’t know I am asking.

We stop creating lies and myths.

1.)This is NOT a part time job with full time pay. People who are attracted by this myth, for the short time they are here, create conditions for themselves and their clients that do more harm than good.

2.) There are no schools or tests that will teach or measure the combination of skill and art that makes up the investigative analysis of the integrity of a building and its systems…and then communicating it to a layman in terms that they will understand.

3.) No government can take the place of a market in screening out those who should or should not be in business.

4.) It is a gross conflict of interest for a real estate salesman to be involved in any process that involves the selection of a home inspector. If legislative measures are needed at all, they are needed to end this destructive practice.

Home inspectors who support licensing bills are doing so in an attempt to seek a legitimate-looking means of eliminating competition but wind up…as you folks in Florida did…creating the exact opposite condition.

Licensing solves nothing and has never, in any instance where it has been applied, resolved any issue that it was designed to address. Nothing can ever replace the wisdom of an informed public and their own ability to choose who should and who should not remain in business.

1. Can you REALLY say a part timer is less professional than a full time inspector? I don’t see how.

2. OK there are no schools to teach you how to be a home inspector. Now what? Have them just learn through osmosis? Peer ride along? Then who determines they are ready? Certain amount of hours? Graduation from mentor inspector? People take different amounts of times to learn different things.

3. Even licensed, the market should take care of inept people.

4. I get a TON of referrals from Real Estate agents. What you fail to see is that 95% of my clients I never see, or meet! They live all over the world and buy here for vacation homes. They are not present for the inspection, they do not live here, they have NEVER lived here and know few people. Now what? The INTERNET? Like websites are not filled with lies and deception. If they trust then person to find them a $1,000,000 home they they trust them to find the right inspector.

Nothing can replace wisdom…100% agree…now who has that wisdom? You have about 1-2 days to decide. Ask someone who has NEVER been through this process to “FIND” a home inspector. They will choose the one who’s website is most appealing.

I have no idea about the agents there. But here I would say 90% tell me verbatim to FIND EVERYTHING or to TEAR THE HOUSE apart! The people I am aligned with I would use myself to buy or sell a house and have on several instances.

I am not saying you are wrong, this is just my view.

As far as I am concerned in my area, every inspector who’s company has less than 25 years of operation, does not do Mold, Radon, Termite and Wind Mit Forms and the lead inspector named Russell should not get a license! That sounds like what you are shooting for. If its not what you have or are, then they are not “qualified”.

You will have to answer most of your own questions since they have nothing to do with anything I posted. Sorry.

Licensing in Florida will fail to protect the consumer from down & out contractors willing to do whatever it takes to stay in business. :frowning:

Are you saying that the inspector with Brickkicker was part time.

I do not honeslty see anyone shell out the kind of money that it takes to be part of a franchise operation just to be a part time inspector.

Nope. I never said that, either.

This whole article is an embarassment to inspectors in my area.

1. You have Tony at Brickkickers starting he mistakenly reported 1 layer of shingles rather than 2.
    It should not matter how many layers there are if the condition of the roof is properly reported. Which is apparent in this case was not done

2. Then you have Larry with Certified stating a cost of repair

Consumers need to keep in mind to know who they are hiring

Just as I said, its a one way message. I am not saying the first guy was correct, I just don’t know the facts and the sad thing is ANYONE of us could be on the bad side of this. One slight mistake and then someone comes in a fraudulently says your wrong and all of a sudden your the bad guy.

I have had too many con men, try to make mountains out of mole hills to facilitate a higher charge for their service. You have a double tap in the electrical panel and all of a sudden the entire panel needs replacement.

No such thing as a tradesman anymore, they are all SALESMEN. Once gain, without knowing all the facts, I choose not to slam a person in my profession. I am NOT saying he is right, I just have not heard the entire story!

Guys, you need to understand that agents are trying to give us a bad name, as to eliminate us from any part of the home sale transaction, so they can sell homes. I bet the local RE association alerted the TV station about the home inspection. Someone, or RE agent, was just really pis**ed because they lost a sale or “hurt” their client.

RE associations where successful in Kansas to license home inspectors. We have to sign a form that requires us to abide by the Kansas SOP’s. The SOP’s state that we have to only check one outlet, one window, one wall per room; no appliances, we do not have to remove “fixed panels”, etc. etc. This allows for cheap, low cost, basic, reporting.

This is a scam on a national scale, backed by every RE association, and AS*I is in the middle of it. We need to keep broadcasting the real facts, and InterNACHI and this message board is helping.

It’s designed to be.

I have a feeling this inspector is regularly referred by Realtors (if it is like my area). The sad part is you do not get an “F” rating from the BBB overnight, but some Realtors will keep on referring this guy. Typical media, they do not tell the whole story.
And this says badly for BrickKicker because of the lack of screening and apparent poor training.
And for A$HI, what do you expect when you hand out memberships without any testing. Just click and pay!

It sounds like the inspector was just being lazy. If you focus on the complaints at hand, what are they…

A roof with two layers of shingles.OK was the top layer in poor condition? If not then as long as the manufacturer and ahj allow it, then there should be no complaint. He just obviously did not look. But as long as the roof is in good shape then there should be no complaint.

The second complaint was a mismarked inspection report. No harm done just some wrong information.

The third was a MINOR gas leak???
Minor meaning what? Does the ashi sop require us to test for gas leaks??? I know we dont here in TN.
Hey, but that would be going out of our sop’s now wouldn’t it.

I would think with the facts at hand if no wrong was done, then the home inspector at question would have legal grounds to go after those that ran his business down.

Gary, maybe the problem is with you, and not everyone else. You seem to think the sky is always falling.
I don’t get it. I have very few agents that refer me, but I stay fairly busy.
If you can’t make a living charging $400 for an inspection, then why not come down to a resonable price for people in the area. I would rather charge less and stay busy then charge more and sit on my thumbs.

It is not with me. I am just being realistic.

There are many inspectors here charging $199 or $249 with termite on any size home. They most likely are writing soft, basic reports, have little if any education or insurance. RE’s are suggesting these inspectors and using contractors to “check” home areas for free.

I cannot compete with free, and I will not. Home buyers are getting what they pay for; basic home inspections; and the RE’s love it.

I refuse to stoop to that level. I will continue to provide the best for my home buyers, who are the ones who pay me, and whom I work for.

I checked out this stuff last night.
BBB dropped him for refusing arbitration.

Exactly.

ASHI, a known U.S.-based, diploma mill that unconscionably allows anyone to join as an associate using ASHI’s 30-second, online application that requires nothing but a valid credit card encourages its come-only-with-cash members to go out and perform a certain number of unqualified inspections for poor, unsuspecting consumers as the only way to achieve full membership. ASHI’s highest “certified” membership level isn’t much better and relies on passing one beginner’s exam (NHIE), once. This is the same exam required by some states to license newbies fresh out of school. In the case of ASHI member Tony Stiles, diploma mill ASHI didn’t even require that of him.

Real estate agents and consumers should check the ASHI site to make sure their inspector is not a member or financial supporter of this U.S.-based, diploma mill called ASHI.

www.nachi.org/blind.htm