New To Home Inspection in Michigan

Hello,
I am new to the home inspection industry (currently taking a training course). I was just wondering if maybe somebody could give me some advice on the necessary tools needed to perform a complete inspection? The course describes the basic tools infrared thermometers, combustible gas detectors, circuit detectors, etc., But browsing around different online stores for “Home Inspection tools”, Im seeing a whole lot of tools and gauges I have never even heard of before, let alone know how and why their used. Maybe if somebody could just tell me what tools they commonly use it would be appreciated.

Also if there are any inspectors from Michigan:

I’ve researched the state’s licensing requirements, and as I understand it, there aren’t really any requirements other than registering with local county clerk. Is this correct???

What types and how much insurance would be recommended for liabilities as a home inspector in Michigan???

Any help would be greatly appreciated…Thank You.

Kyle Collins

The tools I used the most are a good flashlight, outlet tester, mirror on a telescopic extension, kneepads/elbow pads, 1/2 face resiprator.

Actually, I use two flashlights. The big one is the Streamlight Ultra Stinger for lighting up the attic and crawlspaces. The 2nd is a small Streamlight LED flashlight for general use.

For a ladder, it’s hard to beat a Little Giant. I’ve added a good set of levelers (not the LG ones, they’re worthless) to them to make them more functional.

A 12:1 IR thermometer, a non-contact voltage sensor, and set of cheap binoculars pretty much rounds out the most used tools.

For high tech tools, I have a TIFF combustible gas detector. I lost my Surveymaster moisture meter a while back.

Hi Kyle,

I can concur with Dwight’s list. It’s interesting to see he has a mirror on a telescope listed. I use one as well. I spent a lot of $$ on tools when I started five years ago and many of them go unused. I see Dwight lost his Surveymaster. I own and use one for my inspections. In addition, going from a full sized Silverado pickup to a crew cab classic forced me to abandon my step ladder. I’ve had a telescoping ladder for years and have never useed it. I started using the telescoping ladder (in place of the step) and it works even better than my step (accessing scutle holes, sill plates in high ceiling basements, etc.). I use my Little Giant on the exterior (too heavy to lug around the interior). I’ve been in the business for five years and I have approximately $40,000.00 into my business to date. Good luck on your business!

If you are going to a high quality home inspection school, they will go over all of the tools you should use, how and when to use them, and why.

Your most important tools will be your eyes, guided by your education and experience.

Here come the red boxes!:smiley:

Good point Blaine!

Kyle, which school are you attending? Also, I noticed you are not a NACHI member. NACHI is loaded with good information for the new inspector, not to mention the information/feedback you get from this board (most of the time).

It seems like I read that NACHI was capping membership at 10,000 but it seems like we’ve already surpassed that number. Anyway, you should join now before membership is capped, if that is still the plan.

Finally, there is a free NACHI Great Lakes Chapter meeting on Friday the 13th in Davidson at the athletic club (starts at 7:00). I’ll be in the pub drinking Killians starting at 6:00. Stop by if you’d like a reality check on getting into this business.

#-o red boxes?

Has anyone seen or heard from Kyle?

Last post (original post) was over two weks ago!?!?!?!?

The red boxes probably scared him off

I saw him a little while ago at the tool store.:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: