When NOT TO inspect a crawl space due to insects

So I’ve been told by the realtor that the crawl space on an upcoming inspection is infested with spiders. I’ve also been told the crawl space seems to be damp.

I want to inspect this as it’s really important, but if I get there and it just seems like I’m getting into a spider nest, do I inspect it or site an inspection restriction?

I’m curious what I can do to prepare for this. Should I spray bug repelant on my clothes prior to entering and inspect anyway?

Any advice on how to make a professional decision here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bill

I’ve done crawls loaded with black widow spiders and just about snorkeled through one crawl. Each one is different and you need to make that decision when you get there. Never take another person’s word without at least checking it out yourself.

Make one of these for crawls that are not accessible, I did. Less than 6 inches tall, goes over wet areas, if it cannot go under a crawlspace obstruction, it goes over it.

Can it probe wood that is suspected of being a problem? Can it take a picture at absolutely any angle needed? If the obstacle is to high to climb over can it poke its head around an obstacle to view might might be beyond? Can it physically move a piece of debris that is a simple obstacle to moving forward through a crawl space? Can it…? Can it…?

One more thing, if it gets stuck or dies does it retrieve itself or do you now have to go under and get it?

Can’t you read? I will type in slow motion so you can follow… I said NOT ACCESSIBLE. I have a leash for it. InterNACHI peanuts.

1 Like

Yes I can read very well and you have not answered any of the questions I posed. Is there a reason you do not want to answer these questions? I would expect others who might be viewing this might like to know as well? “I will type in slow motion so you can follow” the questions asked. In the event you do not understand these simple questions I will expand on them.

While inspecting a crawlspace there may be areas that require probing to determine if an issue actually does exist. Can your little toy perform any appropriate probing that is needed?

When crawling a picture might be needed at an extreme angle to properly capture the condition for the client to view. Can your toy take pictures from every single possible angle left to right, up to down, etc.?

If the obstacle is to high for your toy to climb over can it extend itself and look around corners? Can it reach out and take an image from a direction accessible by a persons arm?

When your toy is being run across a crawl floor that has debris that it can not pass but can be easily moved by hand to continue crawling forward, does it have the ability to move that simple piece of debris so the remainder of the crawlspace can be accessed?

Hopefully the more detailed questions are more explanatory than the very simple questions asked? In the future just ask for more detailed questions if you have comprehension difficulties.

First of all, you have to be safe. Snakes, coons, mountain lions, in a crawl forget it. Take pix if you can then get out.

Spiders are common in a crawl. Get good coveralls with gloves and a tight balaclava, the get to it. :smiley:

In California, Home Inspectors may not comment on WDO, and air is relatively dry, so it’s not much of an issue.

Perhaps not. How do you take pictures of very single possible angle of an area so tight that you can not physically be in it to begin with?

If there is a better way, I think the rest of us would like to know to to take pictures in crawlspaces that are inaccessible.

But, what if the corner is 8 feet from the last accessible point?
Are your arms long enough to reach around corners 8 feet away?
If so, what’s your trick?

I assume not. But if the crawlspace is so tight that you can’t be in it, how do your hands move the debris and continue down a path that you are unable to go down in the first place?

I think it must be amazing that that you have figured out how to continue along a crawl that you weren’t able to get into in the first place. Please explain this method of being somewhere where you are not actually at.

Just too funny, you peanuts.

Yep…Maybe he is used to 4’ high crawls. My crawls are usually 12" or less, and I use a dirt drone when needed.:cool:

Until you see it, it’s hard to say.

Plenty of people are scared of spiders and think a single cobweb in a crawl must mean it’s a major infestation of thousands of giant man eating black widows.

Make sure you have a respirator, gloves, googles, etc.

A painters spray sock works great also.

https://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=134143&stc=1&d=1462331898

So Scott since you want to avoid the questions that have been asked how about starting with your definition of a “NOT ACCESSIBLE” crawlspace with specific dimensions and conditions making it inaccessible? According to your description in your last post you seem to be leading people to believe you crawl all crawlspaces that have 6" or more of headroom.

Answers in blue above. As soon as Scot wants to let us know what he calls “NOT ACCESSIBLE” then possibly both your and my questions are answerable.

If the width of my respirator fits (9-1/2") I go in. Do not crawl mud either, have used it for that also, crossing broken sewer pipes.

Answers are in green, I guess you missed them, you did finally get my name right.

Since you can’t figure out how to break up a quote, I’ll help

Legally, all we can do is report is we saw something and they need a pest inspection. Nick got a letter from the state of California spelling this out for us since the laws here are different than in other states.

But, in fact, you were. That was the conversation. Areas that are inaccessible by a person.

Well, Scott said inaccessible. I would define 8 feet away from the last accessible point as being inaccessible.

Well, thankfully we have these things called dictionaries.

So you’re saying you won’t answer a question because someone else didn’t answer a question.

Kind of hypocritical, don’t you think?

I’m just trying to learn how you take pictures around corners you can’t reach, and continue down crawlspaces you aren’t in, since apparently you have better answers than Scott’s toy has.

Because I was looking at purchasing a device similar to Scotts for the crawlspaces that are too tight. But if you have a better ways, I would love to know.

1 Like

Well I do apologize for your name and it is not a typical spelling of it.

In any case for everyone’s benefit you will crawl all crawlspaces that are at least 9 1/2" tall and are not “muddy”.

So my questions are applicable still and your toy is incapable of performing like a human can. Do you advise your clients of this? That is do you advise your clients of its significant limitations?

Answers in blue above.

about 90% of homes in my area have a crawl space.

about 10% of them are “easily accessible”.

I have always had a fear of spiders, I really can’t stand them-even little ones. I’d rather run into a snake than a spider.

It is for this reason I use an assistant, who is young, flexible, and thin.

http://www.charleston-home-inspector.com/blogs-why-I-charge-more-for-crawlspaces.html%20%20%20%20