Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

Old 10/18/18, 6:40 PM
New User

Default Passing the National Home Inspector Exam

Hello. I'm new to the forum. Yesterday I passed the National and Texas Home Inspector Exams. Prior to the test I too searched high and low on the internet for tips, tricks, read horror stories and all. I would like to say that the actual Internachi classes were invaluable. I would not have understood half of the concepts without those classes. I have no strong construction background or any trade. I am a Sr. Technical Project Manager who deals with computers, cloud networks and servers all day. I do have a passion for houses as I do real estate investing on the side. For those that are worried about the exam all I can say is study, study, study. I did 7 classes on Internachi, I did my coursework at AHIT which consisted of 17 proctored exams, 10 inspections, 330 hours. I also did additional ride alongs with an inspector in my region who was willing to allow me to shadow. I read the NHIE Manual front to back and did about 3000 practice questions over the course of 6 months. Its not an easy test. I tried 4 years ago and Failed. I just want to encourage anyone out there who is scared to just study like no other and really try to understand the why versus memorizing test questions. You will not pass strictly on memory. There are no shortcuts. Just glad its over.
Need a home inspection in Colorado? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Colorado certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 10/18/18, 9:37 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: Passing the National Home Inspector Exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfranklin2 View Post
Hello. I'm new to the forum. Yesterday I passed the National and Texas Home Inspector Exams. Prior to the test I too searched high and low on the internet for tips, tricks, read horror stories and all. I would like to say that the actual Internachi classes were invaluable. I would not have understood half of the concepts without those classes. I have no strong construction background or any trade. I am a Sr. Technical Project Manager who deals with computers, cloud networks and servers all day. I do have a passion for houses as I do real estate investing on the side. For those that are worried about the exam all I can say is study, study, study. I did 7 classes on Internachi, I did my coursework at AHIT which consisted of 17 proctored exams, 10 inspections, 330 hours. I also did additional ride alongs with an inspector in my region who was willing to allow me to shadow. I read the NHIE Manual front to back and did about 3000 practice questions over the course of 6 months. Its not an easy test. I tried 4 years ago and Failed. I just want to encourage anyone out there who is scared to just study like no other and really try to understand the why versus memorizing test questions. You will not pass strictly on memory. There are no shortcuts. Just glad its over.
Welcome, Kevin, and congratulations!

Awards Committee Officer
SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE:
http://co.nachi.org/inachiawards/

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of the issuance of any award the committee offers and any rules interpretation updates.

Larry Kage, CMI Lifetime Member
State Licensed Builder since 1973
InterNACHI Lifetime Member
~retired~

The above post represents my personal opinion.
Old 10/19/18, 6:54 PM
New User

Thanks Larry. Now I can begin the journey .
Old 10/22/18, 3:40 PM
Active Poster

Congrats.
Old 10/22/18, 11:42 PM
Student Inspector

Grats! its nice to have someone with a technical background such as myself taking the leap from white collar to blue collar! we're gonna make it
Old 10/24/18, 10:01 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

Congratulations Kevin. In the middle of taking InterNachi's on line courses. I have completed 5 courses. I have also considered combining AHIT's course with Nachi. Could you explain why you switched over and how did you like AHIT's course and what you may not have liked about it. Thank you.

Cheers,

Andrew Sullivan