Phone answering

I am signing up to use inspectoradvantage.com to answer my phone and scedule inspections. It seems like a pretty good service and might serve my “public image”.

Any experiance or input to share?

I answer my own phone, all day, everyday. It hasn’t cost me any money, hasn’t lost me any customers, I have never had to re-schedule an appointment because someone screwed it up for me, I am on a first name basis with the real estate community, customers love it, and it builds a ton of good will. Is it easy ? ? ? No. Nothing worth having is. I even forward my calls to myself on vacation! The clients don’t have to know where I am or what I am doing . . all they need to know is that I am there for them when they call.

Good point, I wish I was too busy to answer my phone, if I am on an inspection I usually ask the client if he minds if I answer the phone should it ring, I explain it helps keep the inspection costs down. I can answer a potential client alot better than an answering service can for my location.

One thing I’ve always found, is people like to talk to the boss. It must make them feel more secure or something,… or maybe more important. But I’ve always answered and booked my own inspections, no miscommunications or screw-ups and I get to market myself and my company. Wouldn’t have it any other way! Never use voice mail either, just old fashioned I guess. I hate talking to a machine. If I’m on another call, I’ll let it ring…when that call is finished I re-dial the un-answered call and explain I was on the other line. You just can’t beat the personal touch.:D:

When clients call you and want answers to their questions immediately, your answering service will not tell them what they want to hear. They will simply obtain your clients phone number and politely tell them that you will get back to them shortly.

By the time you get your messages, your prospect has already found and scheduled with another home inspector.

Do yourself a huge favor, be professional and answer your own phone. My phone is with me 24 hours a day, seven days a week and I manage to answer my phone most of the time, no matter where I am.

Sometimes I find myself in the oddest places when booking my clients, but I would not have booked many clients if I had an answering service taking messages for me. Home Inspection prospects want immediate results when they are calling you. Most of them will not wait for your return phone call.

David said it all… only you can respond properly
and in an informed way that your clients need.

If you don’t, your competitors will capture your
business before you get your messages from
the answering service.

I have a great “true story” about answering the phone. Like many others here, I answer my own phone calls (from 7 am until 10 pm). I received a call a couple of weeks ago at about 8:30 pm. I answered the phone, per usual, and there was a momentary silence. A voice then said “Sorry…you’re the 5th Inspector that I called tonight and this is the first time I didn’t get voicemail.” After a very brief conversation, a $325 inspection was booked.

It troubles me that I was 5th on his list, but I’m happy that my “competition” doesn’t answer their phone at 8:30 pm.

David D. makes a very good point. I’ve booked many inspections by answering my phone in the evenings until 9PM.

I’m convinced! I’ll leave things just as they are…

Thanks but wow.:cool:

Money well spent. Use the money that you just saved and put it towards a marketing idea.

Yeah, I’ve booked inspections on roofs, in crawls, in attics, on the beach, at the supermarket, etc.

The prospective client has **no idea **where you are, only that you answered the phone.

I have a secretary. This is what works the best for me. The way I look at it, is to pay someone $15 an hour while I make $150 an hour. My clients pay top dollar for my undevided attention. The growing pain in the beggining were hard, but now they all know and call my secretary. She works from her house, forwards them to her cell and answers them 24-7. I am lucky, but to be perceived as a “professional” one must be a professional. Not knocking the people who answer their own phone at all. But, I found hiring a person at $10 to start is soooooooo worth the money!

www.nachi.org/convert.htm

Hello all,

When I’m driving somewhere and I get a call for an inspection, I pull over and book it. Its inconvenient, but it’s sure worth it AND its a safe driving habit.

The inspector from Michigan, I like your business name, Homewise!

ft

You can “port” your business phone number to your cell phone, so that you never have to remember to forward your phones when you leave the office. Contact your cell provider to do this. Never miss a call that way.
Stu

Exellent advice. Always answer your phone!!

Speaking of marketing ideas, here is my most productive one. Make up some very nice memo pads and give lots to every real estate office in town. It will take a while, but I can tell you it is well worth the cost.:smiley:

As of now my only compitition is House Masters as far as memo pads go, but mine are cooler and more folks like them, so I am winning this race.

remember the 21 rule.:wink:

I always answer the phone unless I’m soeaking to a client. When I’m not in the office I forward the calls to my cell and it’s on 24/7, even when it’s charging

What about the one’s who schedule for you? I always have my phone with me as well, but sometimes think it wouldn’t hurt to have a service. Would be helpful when I have to be in the doctor’s office three times a week and he doesn’t want my cell on of course.

Willing to share . . . love your idea, would love to see your example, I want to get a good looking pad in realtors offices soon.

thanks,
mike