Pre-Listing inspection question

I’ve began marketing the Pre-Listing inspection hard in this area. None of us are perfect and I was wondering how any of you handled the issue when the Buyer inspection turned up an obvious issue that “was not recorded” in the Pre Listing inspection just days before? This may be a visible moisture damaged rim joist or safety rail missing not a component that was damaged or quit working since the pre-listing inspection.

Any good disclaimers?

1. Glad to see you got a pre-listing inspection.

2. You should use the www.MoveInCertified.com program.

3. Here ya go…

“Note: Just as no two home inspectors and no two reporting systems are alike, no two inspection reports, even if performed on the same property at the same time, are alike. This pre-listing inspection report was performed for my client, the home seller, with the cooperation and assistance of my client/home seller. It assumes full disclosure on the part of my client/home seller. My client may choose to share my report with others, but it was performed solely for my client. And although ABC Inspections performs all inspections and writes all reports objectively without regard to the client’s personal interests, additional fresh inspections, which of course would reveal and report matters differently, should be considered.”

If you missed it, you missed it. You can’t disclaim that, but you can turn it over to your insurance. . .

Rick,

Why do you need a disclaimer?

I write every report according to my findings and could really care less what somebody else reported, or missed.

Personally I wouldn’t even look at another report done before mine, I would let who ever is involved in the transaction make that judgment based on what I see.

If the people involved want to know anything about your report I’m sure they will certainly be in touch with you.

Rick

Did you do the pre-listing inspection or the buyers inspection?

With the “what if” I’m not quite sure which one you did.

In this scenario, I would have done the Pre-Listing inspection. This has not happened. I was just trying to prepare for that situation so I would know what to do.

I need to know how to answer that question when making the presentation to the groups that I get in front of.

Nobody’s perfect. That’s why I carry E&O insurance. :wink:

Many inspectors will disagree, but I’m not afraid to let people know I’m insured.

Good answer and that is what I’ll have to use.

What’s the estimated cost of repair? It maybe less than the deductable on your insurance policy. If it’s close, you may still choose not to file a claim as it will ding your policy and can have a negative impact on your future insurance premiums. After reading your original post further, you in luck! A pre-listing inspection is not designed to protect the new buyer of the property. It’s also NOT an insurance policy against existing conditions present on the seller’s property. You missed it, but it’s still the seller’s problem. The seller has no negative downside in this case. If you found it, they’d have to fix it, the buyer’s inspector found it, they’ll still have to fix it. You’re service has had no negative impact on them financially in my opinion…

Here in California, dryrot damage to a rim joist would also be of interest to the termite company. Since it would be listed as a section 1 item, again the seller would most likely be responsible for the repair of same.

Good Luck!