Professional Inspector Opinions Needed...

My wife is an agent that post on Active Rain and she is seeing a lot of posts where some agents think that they should have an active part in overseeing the home inspection. My wife says it’s not her area of expertise and to allow the inspector to do his job. Whadda’ ya’ think, guys? :roll: Please go to the blog and post some truth there…

Thanks, Tom

http://activerain.com/blogsview/115410/Transaction-Saver-Preparing-Buyers

It depends on if the agent and the inspector share a common client or not. A listing (seller’s) agent has no business overseeing an inspection being done for the buyer, for instance.

Listen to your wife - let the inspectors do their job. . .

The two forums are ask the home inspector and home systems their componants and report descriptions.
He may be with ASHI but inspector Tim Howe is tearing pansies a new one.
http://activerain.com/homeinspection

Opps just realized that was another thread.But check out the other.

I* tell my buyers that ALL properties need regular maintenance and so **we *are not necessarily worried if there is a strike plate missing from a door or a loose light bulb somewhere.
Lania …I am sorry but when I see that line it scares me.You are telling clients what their expectations are,instead of the other way around.
When I inspect a home I do report everything that is wrong with plenty of photos to back me up.
My clients will then make a punch list of all the defects I found and renegotiate based on my findings.
Never ever would I tell my client ,this is not important or that can be overlooked.
I am not there to help the sale of the house,but for my client I am concerned they are made aware of as much about that house as possible.
I will look for everything I can.Unfortunatly some inspectors cozy up to agents in order to get their referals,which is unethical,and should be illegal.Sorry if this is not what you would like to hear but when we start softening problems in the house we are not doing our job.I bet I know which kind of inspector you look to hire when you are the one buying.Is it the same guy you would recommend to your clients?I hope so.

Hi Bob:
What is the address of the house that you inspected without any defects?
As I stated above, “I tell my buyers that they have the right to object to ANY and** ALL **conditions that are dis-satisfactory on their inspection report”. NACHI Standards of Practice ascribe to the thinking that, (and I quote):
NACHI Standards of Practice, Definitions and Scope, (BOLD ADDED)
1.1. A Home inspection is a non-invasive visual examination of a residential dwelling, performed for a fee, which is designed to identify observed material defects within specific components of said dwelling. Components may include any combination of mechanical, structural, electrical, plumbing, or other essential systems or portions of the home, as identified and agreed to by the Client and Inspector, prior to the inspection process.
I. A home inspection is intended to assist in evaluation of the overall condition of the dwelling. The inspection is based on observation of the visible and apparent condition of the structure and its components on the date of the inspection and not the prediction of future conditions.
II. A home inspection will not reveal every concern that exists or ever could exist, but only those material defects observed on the day of the inspection.
1.2. A Material defect is a condition with a residential real property or any portion of it that would have a significant adverse impact on the value of the real property or that involves an unreasonable risk to people on the property. The fact that a structural element, system or subsystem is near, at or beyond the end of the normal useful life of such a structural element, system or subsystem is not by itself a material defect.
1.3. An Inspection report shall describe and identify in written format the inspected systems, structures, and components of the dwelling and shall identify material defects observed. Inspection reports may contain recommendations regarding conditions reported or recommendations for correction, monitoring or further evaluation by professionals, but this is not required.
NOTE THE BOLD TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE STANDARDS YOU ASCRIBE TO. GEE…SOUNDS ALMOST WORD FOR WORD WHAT I SAID ABOUT SAFETY AND VALUE CONCERNS…
I don’t cozy up to inspectors and they don’t cozy up to me. You are one of those “chip on the shoulder guys”. I have never seen a client take out the phone book and look for an inspector.
I obviously have enough confidence in my professionalism and my client’s satisfaction rating over the past 12 years to ask advice directly from a NACHI web site. Ask Nick, he’ll tell you, agents ARE NOT your enemies, they are fellow professionals.
BTW…it’s a big NO NO for you to say that your clients will take your report and RENEGOTIATE based on your findings. Are you in the business of real estate negotiation and are you qualified to assess the value of your findings to a real estate transaction in terms of dollar credits?
I NEVER said I didn’t want my client to know all the defects in a home, just to know which defects will affect their safety and value, but I can 100% GUARANTY that you will not find every defect in any given property and I bet you have a tidy disclosure that says so, am I right?
Be nice Bob! It’s such a fifth grade attitude the “home inspectors against agents thing…”

Nick: The post was regarding preparing Buyers for the reality that some things will arise on their inspection and that they have the right to object to ANYTHING, but they should pay special attention to things that will affect their property value, (or be costly to fix), and safety issues.

Jeffrey: I do listen to my wife on this and agree with her…some of the real estate people didn’t and that’s why we asked inspector’s opinions.

Robert:My wife knows what is in the NACHI standards of practice better than you do…that’s sad, man.

Active Rain is a different forum which should not be edited to spill over here.
Any opinion should go there .
When you ask for opinion you should be prepared for honesty,and I will not get involved in a tag team match.
Sorry bro but no agent is qualified to tell an inspector how to do their job,and as this is her thread you should go there for all comments.End of story.

. . . I have agents whose policy is that they NEVER attend an inspection. Don’t want to be seen as influencing the outcome. I think that just might be wise thinking for them.
Best,
TS