Radon mitigation exhaust

Has anybody seen or know if there is a code which states the exhaust for radon mitigation has to exit at roof level. I have an inspection where the exhaust comes out from the basement just above the ground.
The client is thinking about adding on to it outside up the side of the house so it exits at roof level. My concern with this is condensation and possible freeze up. (blockage)

Scott

Installation you describe is Defective.

EPA Mitigation Requirement.

http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/mitstds.html

http://www.epa.gov/RadonPubs/mitstds.html#systeminstal

14.2 Radon Vent Pipe Installation Requirements

All joints and connections in radon mitigation systems using plastic vent pipes shall be permanently sealed with adhesives as specified by the manufacturer of the pipe material used. (See paragraph 14.3.7 for exception when installing fans, and paragraph 14.2.7 for exception when installing vent pipes in sumps.) Joints or connections in other vent pipe materials shall be made air tight.

Attic and external piping runs in areas subject to subfreezing conditions should be protected to avoid the risk of vent pipe freeze-up.

Radon vent pipes shall be fastened to the structure of the building with hangers, strapping, or other supports that will adequately secure the vent material. Existing plumbing pipes, ducts, or mechanical equipment shall not be used to support or secure a radon vent pipe.

Supports for radon vent pipes shall be installed at least every 6 feet on horizontal runs. Vertical runs shall be secured either above or below the points of penetration through floors, ceilings, and roofs, or at least every 8 feet on runs that do not penetrate floors, ceilings, or roofs.

To prevent blockage of air flow into the bottom of radon vent pipes, these pipes shall be supported or secured in a permanent manner that prevents their downward movement to the bottom of suction pits or sump pits, or into the soil beneath an aggregate layer under a slab.

Radon vent pipes shall be installed in a configuration that ensures that any rain water or condensation within the pipes drains downward into the ground beneath the slab or soil-gas retarder membrane.

Radon vent pipes shall not block access to any areas requiring maintenance or inspection. Radon vents shall not be installed in front of or interfere with any light, opening, door, window or equipment access area required by code. If radon vent pipes are installed in sump pits, the system shall be designed with removable or flexible couplings to facilitate removal of the sump pit cover for sump pump maintenance.

To prevent re-entrainment of radon, the point of discharge from vents of fan-powered soil depressurization and block wall depressurization systems shall meet all of the following requirements: (1) be above the eave of the roof, (2) be ten feet or more above ground level, (3) be ten feet or more from any window, door, or other opening into conditioned spaces of the structure that is less than two feet below the exhaust point, and (4) be ten feet or more from any opening into an adjacent building. The total required distance (ten feet) from the point of discharge to openings in the structure may be measured either directly between the two points or be the sum of measurements made around intervening obstacles. Whenever possible, the exhaust point should be positioned above the highest eave of the building and as close to the roof ridge line as possible.

When a radon mitigation system is designed to draw soil gas from a perimeter drain tile loop (internal or external) that discharges water through a drain line to daylight or a soakaway, a one-way flow valve, water trap, or other control device should be installed in or on the discharge line to prevent outside air from entering the system while allowing water to flow out of the system.

Thanks Joe,

Good Info.

Scott

Was this actualy called a radon mitigation System? if by who? cant see how a trained mitigation installer would have done that, Sounds like home owner hank to me, be very careful!!

Totally agree with Jeff;

Have the owner produce the invoice from the mitigator. If they can’t cry ‘Joe Homeowner’ fix.

Attic and external piping runs in areas subject to subfreezing conditions should be protected to avoid the risk of vent pipe freeze-up.

*I never see any sort of freeze-up protection of any kind. These systems are indeed installed by certified Radon mitigators.

Installers in my area run it a story in a half and the put a 45 on it. Does not go above roof line. They are licensed installers and state it okay. I get my license this month so I will know for sure:)

Radon Mitigation is a Licensed Business activity in Pennsylvania. There is (Limited) recourse against improper installations.

Is Radon Mitigation a Licensed Business activity in New Hampshire?

Darren:

The EPA Standard is generally the minmum accepted standard.

I see this quite a bit in newer homes, but it is not intented for Radon mitigation. If the vent piping is metal and there is a subfloor basement, look for a humidistat. The piping and fan are to reduce condensation and humidity under the subfloor. When the humidity rises the fan turns on and keeps the ground under the house drier.

I’ve only seen two systems and both vented right above above the 1st floor framing, this was on a two story home.

[quote=“jhagarty, post:2, topic:1097”]

Installation you describe is Defective.

EPA Mitigation Requirement.

http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/mitstds.html

http://www.epa.gov/RadonPubs/mitstds.html#systeminstal

Hi-
The link
https://www.epa.gov/RadonPubs/mitstds.html#systeminstal
-no longer works.
Thanks and best regards,
Drew

Something like this?