Radon Testing/Environmental Testing

Good Afternoon, I have been learning from InterNACHI for a few months. I have a background as a medical lab technologist/scientist and am trying to leverage my science background to start a service business. I am in the process of getting my NRPP licensure for radon measurement. My goal is to start a radon testing business and eventually step out to other testing such as asbestos and formaldehyde, possibly other ancillary tests. There are a few third party radon testing businesses in my state but none within 100 miles of my location. (Massachusetts)

I would like to inquire with you as to how I can market myself? Specifically to home inspectors and if my services would be deemed useful.

I also would like your perspective if a pickup service for home inspectors who use charcoal canisters would be useful as I would be certified for pickup. I know the margin would be low but it’s a way to get my name out.

Thanks for your time.

Hello,
We seem to have similar background, I am an MLT (ASCP), B.S. in Molecular Biology, and former owner of a radon testing company in Maine. I joined the message board to see if there is any market for my QAP which is the big hurdle to getting a licensure. I followed the EPA regs and it could be amended to your needs such as your test kit company, other vendors, and general SOP’s. I’m sure it can be used in most states that require the following of the EPA guidance.

Another point of marketability would be for multifamily testing plans, which can be more complicated. I have a separate QAP for that, as that is mainly why I got into the business.

What state do you live in? I would strongly recommend not quitting your Home Inspection job, LOL, as the cost conscious consumer will not likely seek out a radon test, although it may be required in your state…

My idea was to get the word out with local realtors, and I’m thinking, “there is nobody doing radon testing (in say, a 200 mile radius!) in my area, I’m going to make a killing!”

I closed four years ago, due to lack of cash flow and business. I am of the thought that while someone won’t usually seek out a radon test on it’s own, those people who are putting the funds into a professional home inspection will have a radon test upsold to them pretty easily, given the EPA attention to it in recent years.

I am actually looking to sell my QAPs and even business consult a little to help someone get setup in the business. Please contact me if you are interested in this or pass along to anyone you may know that is interested!

Let me know how you make out!