Random Home Inspection Questions

Hello everyone! I’ve been self educating myself with zero background knowledge in home inspections for about two years now in the state of Illinois and I am taking my state licensing exam this coming Tuesday (3-27-2018). Anyways there are some components I have forgot, misunderstood, or just can’t find the answer to so I figured the great interNACHI community can help me with. Please feel free to answer all or any of the questions below as I would be greatly appreciative. Also, more questions may be added as I continue to study for my final exam. Lastly, If any inspector has passed the Illinois Inspection exam, any tips or advice would go a long way.

Thank you and happy inspecting :slight_smile:

1. Who is required to be at a home inspection?

2. Can a real estate agent or lawyer or spouse or anyone else acting on behalf of the buyer sign off on the inspection contract if the buyer cannot attend themselves?

3. what do you say when a home buyer asks you a question that you do not know the answer to regarding a component system you are inspecting?

4. what is the name of the poll that protects a water heater from cars located inside a garage?

5. How far can the outlet be from a garage door opener?

6. what is the Least important part of a inspection contract from the choices provided?

a) the time
b) the address
c) the date
d) who was at attendance

1. What is another term for a chimney cricket?

2. Why would someone use a mirror on a water heater draft hood?

3. Should vapor barriers be before or after wall sheathing?

4. what does the word “sump” in sump pump mean ?

5. What location of a EIFS is water most likely to enter?

6. What is a wryth?

7. How would you inspect a sump pump?

8. What is the minimum amount of components that need to be inspected for it to be a home inspection?

9. Does the 3-2-10 rule apply to chimneys specifically or all roof venting?

10. Where can CSST not be used?

11. Please explain floating neutral

12. Where do you find the max ampacity of a electrical box?

First of all, you really need to do as much research on your own before you ask questions. You’ll learn a lot more.

I’m bored, so here you go. Be sure to not take my word or anyone else’s as gospel. Do your homework.

1. The inspector

2. Your call. It’s your a**

3. “I’ll find out”

4. a bollard

5. No set distance, but should not require an extension cord

6. d, but it’s still important

7. I don’t know of another term

8 - To see if it fogs. If it does that could mean that exhaust is spilling out, indicating downdraft or blockage

1. This question is not clearly phrased. Try again.

2. A pit or reservoir. (You do own a computer and it is connected to the internet, correct?)

3. Where there is moisture and a hole.

4. Chimneys.

5. Some have test lever. Others you can lift the float. Also you can run water into the sump.

6. Depends on your state’s SOP

7. All, unless I am mistaken. You should be able to find that in your study materials.

8. Not up on that

9. Not connected to ground. Google is your friend.

18 - On the label

While William is spot on, the answer to questions 1 and 2 can vary by state.

appreciate it, the sarcasm and all.

Appreciate the help, sarcasm and all.

1. Who is required to be at a home inspection? I’ve carried licenses in 5 states AND inspected in 3 others … NOBODY but you

2. Can a real estate agent or lawyer or spouse or anyone else acting on behalf of the buyer sign off on the inspection contract if the buyer cannot attend themselves? Much of the time a spouse can … Others with a POA or take your chance AND let anybody sign (not advised)

3. what do you say when a home buyer asks you a question that you do not know the answer to regarding a component system you are inspecting? Tell him I don’t know and suggest he Google it, etc

4. what is the name of the poll that protects a water heater from cars located inside a garage? Bollard

5. How far can the outlet be from a garage door opener? Length of its Cord

6. what is the Least important part of a inspection contract from the choices provided?

a) the time
b) the address
c) the date
d) who was at attendance
A or D … But still important

1. What is another term for a chimney cricket? Maybe Diverter

:cool: Why would someone use a mirror on a water heater draft hood? To check for backdrafting … mirror fogs up

1. Should vapor barriers be before or after wall sheathing? Depends

2. what does the word “sump” in sump pump mean ? Refers to the Pit

3. What location of a EIFS is water most likely to enter? Kickout Flashing Area and Windows

4. What is a wryth? Think you mean Wythe / Brick

5. How would you inspect a sump pump? Float. Lever, Suck on tube, Use water

6. What is the minimum amount of components that need to be inspected for it to be a home inspection? In most licensed states 3 or more / Check their SoP

7. Does the 3-2-10 rule apply to chimneys specifically or all roof venting? The way you asked it … Chimneys

8. Where can CSST not be used? One place is it can’t be buried

9. Please explain floating neutral? Not connected to the ground

1:cool: Where do you find the max ampacity of a electrical box? On the label OR when components are mis-matched / Smallest Component Rules

Another name for a cricket would be saddle

YMMV

You’re welcome.

Don’t know what a wryth is, but a wythe is a single vertical row of bricks.

To answer #1 - most of the home inspections i perform are alone in empty homes. The real estate agent or owner usually lets me in and asks about how long i will be.

For furnished homes that are being lived in – some one will typically hang around and check in to see how things are going from time to time. (i mean who wants to let a stranger into their house with all of their belongings and leave them)

Thanks,

Gary Stefaniak
Big G Home Inspections
9814 Cedaredge Dr.
Houston, TX 77064

If you are looking for a home inspection in Houston - Give us a call!