Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > General Inspection Topics > General Inspection Discussion

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #106  
Old 2/8/13, 12:59 AM
Michael A. Clark, CMI's Avatar
Michael A. Clark, CMI Michael A. Clark, CMI is offline
Certified Master Inspector
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Almost Heaven, WV
Posts: 6,657
Default Re: Realtor-Home Inspector Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldapkus1 View Post
I don't hate gays, why do you say that? I just mention it because you haven't had a woman since your failed marriage. You mentioned recently that you haven't talked to your father in over 10 years. Did he touch you when you were a child? Is there something you want to tell us Rusty? He did call you Rusty, didn't he?
Is that glaze on your face from donut consumption or marketing??? Rusty???
Have a few drinks, loosen up and come back and tell us more.
Most of this stuff is humorous, and a little entertaining.

As for distasteful posts, I've seen many. This one tops them all.

A professional forum of professional people....yeah right




Michael A Clark, Certified Master Inspector«
Inspection Connection
St Albans, West Virginia

"Always tell the truth,
do what you say you will,
and do it Righter than Right...Always"

Facebook

Google Plus

www.charleston-home-inspector.com
www.icwvhomes.com

mclark@icwvhomes.com
Reply With Quote
Need a home inspection in Connecticut? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Connecticut certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
  #107  
Old 2/8/13, 1:05 AM
Bob Elliott's Avatar
Bob Elliott Bob Elliott is online now
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37,400
Default Re: Realtor-Home Inspector Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark2 View Post
Most of this stuff is humorous, and a little entertaining.

As for distasteful posts, I've seen many. This one tops them all.

A professional forum of professional people....yeah right
Check your PM.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 2/8/13, 4:42 AM
Stephan Tremblay, CMI's Avatar
Stephan Tremblay, CMI Stephan Tremblay, CMI is offline
Certified Master Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 865
Default Re: Realtor-Home Inspector Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmathias1 View Post
I really don't feel the same as most of you. Good agents versus bad agents. I feel that deep down most agents want to do their best for their clients. I think that it is more about the situation of the agent then anything else.
For instance:
A new agent starts up in the area, does not know alot of people so his/her referall base is zero. They finally get their first client and find them the perfect home. They hire an inspector and he find a bunch of stuff wrong with the home. They lose the sale and his/her family does not get fed. He finds them another house but doesn't want to use the same inspector because he was to hard on the home. He finds a soft inspector who helps him sell the home. Because of this he/she uses that inspector over and over.
The agent made a critical mistake by useing the soft inspector as he or she may get sued some day.
The same can be said about the soft report writer. He got into the business to make money, support his family and help his clients. He wrote up the first dozen or so inspections hard and found agents would not use him because he was a deal killer. He starts writing his reports differently so as not to "kill the deal" and begins to make a living. He does not think he is a bad inspector he just thinks he is helping by not alarming his client.
He will also have his day in court.
So now to flip the coin:
You have an agent that does a million in sales a year, he is not worried about a deal falling through because he will find them another home and still feed his family. He uses the best inspector, appraiser, Lawyer..... and makes more money then his competition.
The Inspector that is putting his client first and the home sale second is the inspector that will be hired by these type of realtors because they know the liability will be lessoned by them.
I spoke to one of the top producers in the bank the other day. I did an inspection on one of his homes and found that the deck was a DIY. It was only a year old and had many defects. He asked for the building permit which they could not produce. When the building inspector came out he asked for an engineer to evaluate and give recommendations. Without blinking the realtor called in an engineer, paid for it and made everyone happy. These are the realtors I like to deal with. It did not phase him at all that I had opened up a can of worms. He was happy that I found it and more then willing to use me again. He called me later that day and booked two more inspections. A lot of realtors would say that I was to hard on the home but I would tend to beleive that they really need that home sale to support their family.
When I speak with realtors I have this in the back of my head. What is their situation like? Are they new, going through a hard time, or even just having a bad day? If they are new maybe they just need to be educated on what a proffesional inspection is and how it can help them.
This is just my opinion and my hope is that it gets people thinking about their inspection service.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Greg. I agree 100%.
Stay warm my Canuk friend!
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 2/8/13, 9:59 AM
Philippe G. Heller's Avatar
Philippe G. Heller Philippe G. Heller is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 446
Default Realtor-Home Inspector Relationships

Nathan, don't you have a good list of agents? Perhaps you should invite a few to the message board. Maybe this thread in particular.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 2/8/13, 11:22 AM
ldapkus1's Avatar
ldapkus1 ldapkus1 is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Home
Posts: 4,065
Please Note: ldapkus1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Realtor-Home Inspector Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthornberry View Post
There's definitely a part of me that wants to do it, but I can't do that to our industry. I feel bad frankly, as Linas is going on multiple sites, using my product to start threads that lead down this dark path.

I don't hold myself responsible for his actions, but in everything I do I try to move the industry forward and make it look good. My products and services, in these cases, appear to be fueling the fire for the worst elements in the industry (Linas & friends) to lash out at the agents we should be befriending.
It's your marketing strategy that turns people off Nathan. Don't you get it???? I simply posted about We Make It Safer, which is a free product to use to get realtors and buyers involved in the inspection process. You're meeting opposition on the other message board from people who are tired of your tactics pitting users against non users of your products. Here's what a lifelong member had to say:

"The ones that don't try to shove their products down our throughts every chance they can. Oh I forgot to mention, with one other exception, the other venders are professional and sell their products without telling us how stupid we are if we don't use their products."
That's what sad about this Nathan. We never had so much division amongst our NACHI members, and members in our industry, until you started your recent campaign to drive a wedge between us just to sell your product. If you really cared so much about this industry, you'd still be selling homes.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 2/8/13, 11:34 AM
ldapkus1's Avatar
ldapkus1 ldapkus1 is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Home
Posts: 4,065
Please Note: ldapkus1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Realtor-Home Inspector Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheller View Post
Nathan, don't you have a good list of agents? Perhaps you should invite a few to the message board. Maybe this thread in particular.
He has a list of many 1%. Maybe 5 or 6 that are bored might have a look. That's a bright idea Philly.
NAR Membership Statistics

Members to date: 1,024,669 as of Oct. 31, 2011
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 2/11/13, 8:59 AM
Timothy Lareau's Avatar
Timothy Lareau Timothy Lareau is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Posts: 8
Default Saved Spot

I got that call as well for a spot they saved just for me; kind of humorous seeing I just got into the business and a big-time REALASTATE company "picked me" to be on their folder. I had enough sense and ethics to decline.
However, I felt no shame when I dropped my card off to many REALASTATE offices in my town because I know I would be one of many choices that would be given to a client



Tim Lareau
Prism Home Inspections, LLC
Serving the greater Las Cruces, New Mexico area.

Direct: (575) 636-7528
Office: (575) 635-6547
The full spectrum of your home inspection
Email: tlareau@prisminspectors.com
Website: www.prisminspectors.com
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 2/11/15, 11:30 AM
bbateman bbateman is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4
Default Re: Realtor-Home Inspector Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by apicou View Post
Just because an agent refers you doesn't mean you have to do your job any differently. I don't understand what all the hype is about. The vast majority of my inspections comes from agents and I don't sugar coat anything nor do I feel pressure to.
I don't sugar coat things either, but the agents in my area don't want to use me (so I'm told by my boss who is also an inspector).
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 2/13/15, 6:33 PM
Vince Santos's Avatar
Vince Santos Vince Santos is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canton, MI - Serving Souteast Michigan
Posts: 2,174
Default Re: Realtor-Home Inspector Relationships

In the 11 years I've been doing this I've met all kinds. What I've found is the high producing successful agents love a thorough inspection because their primary goal is a happy customer. If you have an inspector that puts the best interest of their client above all else then the agent type I mentioned will find you. This will result in a the kind of relationship you want.

When you have a low producing agent who is desperate for a sale and an inspector who is willing to make things "go easy" then they will also find each other. This will result in the kind of relationship that will likely see you in court.

Having said all that I do believe most agents and inspectors have good intentions.



Vince Santos
StepByStep Home Services LC
(734) 748-9584
Providing Home Inspection Services to Southeast Michigan
facebook
ITA Trained and Certified

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 8:54 AM.
no new posts