Remember your first Inspection?

Do you remember your first Home Inspection? I’m curious, how did it go? Did you miss a lot of things?
What do you find to be much different than you thought, harder, easier, etc?

I’ve yet to do my first inspection, other than MOCK ones, and am curious how others went.

Adam,

Not sure which reporting software you’re using, but take a checklist with you to make sure that you inspect everything. Don’t let a client or agent distract you to the point that you’re not checking everything. They won’t do this intentionally, but it does happen.

Early on, my checklist had 2 boxes. One to verify that I inspected all items and the second to verify that I took a picture of each item.

Good luck to you!

Tim

I did so many mock inspections on friends homes that when I got my first paid inspection, I was not the least but nervous.

In fact, looking back, I was a too over confident. There is always something more to learn.

My first inspection I’ll probably never forget. It was in the summer. Nice young couple. The hot young lady, who was wearing short shorts, decided to go up the the pull down attic stairs in front of me. And continued to “freely” walk the attic floor. Who was I to stop her.

I don’t remember much else other than they didn’t buy the house. Moved to South America and hired me to inspect two other houses a few years later when they moved back to my area. True story.

My first inspection I found foundation issues and lots of problems with the AC/ furnace. The buyer walked and I felt like such a deal breaker. Looking back I would not have changed a thing.

1974 or 1976 … Took a Polaroid pic of front & rear of house for my file. Did it as a favor to one of my bosses friends. Home Inspection was NOT my job. My 1st 6 yrs it was a PART time thing to make a few extra dollars while building sf and mf .

Used an extensive 2 page field checklist AND talked into a recorder SO when I got home, the next day and when I typed my 4-6 page report on the IBM Selectric typewiter … I had all the details.

Then you proofed it AND hoped like H_LL you did not have a typo in the middle of a page. Then you put it in a 8.5" by 12" envelope and mailed it. Customer usually had the report in 4-6 days after the inspection.

My 1st owned a Texas company called EDS (never heard of them back then). Got lots of national headlines a few years later when he organized a rescue attempt for a couple of his employees that had been taken hostage in Iran.

Truthfully don’t remember much about the 1st few years because we did NOT do most of what we do now. My electrical outlet tester was a night light.

Now that is old school.

No!
However 35 plus years ago our inspection reports were all text. No images.
If I can remember correctly I had a Royal typewriter.
If you fuc*ed up …Snach the page out and start again…
It look like this one.

NACHI.jpg

Kenneth …

In the mid 1970’s till mid/late 1980’s we did NOT have cell phones, we did NOT have PC’s (let alone smart phones, tablets, etc); SELDOM took a picture BUT if for some weird reason you did … It was a Poloroid or 35mm NOT a digital one

No computerized inspection software … either a short 4-8 pg checklist OR go home and type on something like Roy said (Royal or IMB Selectric typewriter).

NO Infrared Cameras OR laser levels. It was simplistic. We had no written OR signed inspection agreement till mid 1980’s. Just did it and gave out the report.

Tools were simple … 12’ to 15’ ladder; binoculars; electric outlet tester; Streamlite flashlight; inspection mirror for furnace heat exchangers; screwdriver & nutdriver / combo; $30 moisture meter with pins only.

Never thought about insurance till late 1980’s … Never heard of an inspector getting sued till late 1980’s

The old days …What else could you need.

Be careful Dan as Nick will put you in the InterNachi museum!

What I remember more is writing my first report as it took forever!

Ross Perot?

Sounds Familiar

Adam,

Yes I remember my first inspection very well.

I was very nervous and definitely missed more than i do today. This is because just like anything you get better with practice. When i gained more confidence doing home inspections, that is when i feel like i really started performing inspections at the level i wanted to be at.

Thanks,

Gary Stefaniak
Big G Home Inspections
9814 Cedaredge Dr.
Houston, TX 77064

If you are looking for a home inspection in Houston - Give us a call!

My first paid inspection was about as easy as they come. First year home warranty, and the owner already had a list of things needing done. They selected me because of my past GC experience, and picked my brain regarding some improvements they were considering.

I own several rent houses, so had done several mock inspections, and also had a few local inspectors let me ride along with them on several inspections.

Did I miss a lot of things? How would I know?

I am convinced that we all miss stuff on a regular basis, either because we get complacent, distracted, or miss some tell-tale sign. It is definitely a must to have a checklist, either on your portable device or on paper. “Keep” is the resident note-taking app on my Android phone, and it allows you to make checklists. Highly recommended.

Adam, something like this may help you not miss too much: https://www.ahit.com/products/reportforms/StndReport_rev070907.pdf :slight_smile:

My first inspection was for just a roof for $50. It was so a guy could ake the guys that installed his roof to court for doing it wrong. I remember him following me around trying to tell me what to put on the report. Then calling me before I could even get home to talk about the report after looking over the roof for over an hour. From that day forward I never charged just $50 for an inspection. I also learned to undercharge for services. Make sure you take lots of pictures. You can never take to many pictures.