Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

Old 2/5/18, 3:36 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Default Remember your first Inspection?

Do you remember your first Home Inspection? I'm curious, how did it go? Did you miss a lot of things?
What do you find to be much different than you thought, harder, easier, etc?

I've yet to do my first inspection, other than MOCK ones, and am curious how others went.
Need a home inspection in Virginia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Virginia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/5/18, 3:55 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: Remember your first Inspection?

Adam,

Not sure which reporting software you're using, but take a checklist with you to make sure that you inspect everything. Don't let a client or agent distract you to the point that you're not checking everything. They won't do this intentionally, but it does happen.

Early on, my checklist had 2 boxes. One to verify that I inspected all items and the second to verify that I took a picture of each item.

Good luck to you!

Tim

Tim Williams, CPI

10198 Cricklewood Ct.

Portage, MI 49024

269-501-0287

https://www.nachi.org/forum/avatars/twilliams15-49487.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1462201232

Proudly serving Southwest Michigan
Old 2/5/18, 5:02 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

I did so many mock inspections on friends homes that when I got my first paid inspection, I was not the least but nervous.

In fact, looking back, I was a too over confident. There is always something more to learn.
Old 2/5/18, 10:05 PM

My first inspection I found foundation issues and lots of problems with the AC/ furnace. The buyer walked and I felt like such a deal breaker. Looking back I would not have changed a thing.

Ken Jones
Apex Home Inspections LLC
Seminole, Florida
(727)804-8368
Florida License #HI 9101
InterNACHI Certified #14061510
www.apexhi.biz
ken@apexhi.biz
Old 2/10/18, 1:03 AM
Certified Master Inspector

1974 or 1976 ..... Took a Polaroid pic of front & rear of house for my file. Did it as a favor to one of my bosses friends. Home Inspection was NOT my job. My 1st 6 yrs it was a PART time thing to make a few extra dollars while building sf and mf .

Used an extensive 2 page field checklist AND talked into a recorder SO when I got home, the next day and when I typed my 4-6 page report on the IBM Selectric typewiter ......... I had all the details.

Then you proofed it AND hoped like H_LL you did not have a typo in the middle of a page. Then you put it in a 8.5" by 12" envelope and mailed it. Customer usually had the report in 4-6 days after the inspection.

My 1st owned a Texas company called EDS (never heard of them back then). Got lots of national headlines a few years later when he organized a rescue attempt for a couple of his employees that had been taken hostage in Iran.

Truthfully don't remember much about the 1st few years because we did NOT do most of what we do now. My electrical outlet tester was a night light.

Dan Bowers, CMI
Licensed Contractor / Builder
Certified IAQ2 Mold Inspector
Licensed HVAC Service Technician
EDI Certified Stucco / EIFS Inspector
Certified Commercial Building Inspector
iNACHI – US Member of the Year 2010
ITC / FLIR - Level I Infrared Thermographer
FHA - 203k Inspector / Compliance Inspector
ICC Code Inspector (Plmbg, Elec, Mech, Bldg)

Last edited by dbowers; 2/10/18 at 1:15 AM..
Old 2/10/18, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowers View Post
1974 or 1976 ..... Took a Polaroid pic of front & rear of house for my file. Did it as a favor to one of my bosses friends. Home Inspection was NOT my job. My 1st 6 yrs it was a PART time thing to make a few extra dollars while building sf and mf .

Used an extensive 2 page field checklist AND talked into a recorder SO when I got home, the next day and when I typed my 4-6 page report on the IBM Selectric typewiter ......... I had all the details.

Then you proofed it AND hoped like H_LL you did not have a typo in the middle of a page. Then you put it in a 8.5" by 12" envelope and mailed it. Customer usually had the report in 4-6 days after the inspection.

My 1st owned a Texas company called EDS (never heard of them back then). Got lots of national headlines a few years later when he organized a rescue attempt for a couple of his employees that had been taken hostage in Iran.

Truthfully don't remember much about the 1st few years because we did NOT do most of what we do now. My electrical outlet tester was a night light.
Now that is old school.

Ken Jones
Apex Home Inspections LLC
Seminole, Florida
(727)804-8368
Florida License #HI 9101
InterNACHI Certified #14061510
www.apexhi.biz
ken@apexhi.biz
Old 2/10/18, 4:48 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Do you remember your first Home Inspection?
No!
However 35 plus years ago our inspection reports were all text. No images.
If I can remember correctly I had a Royal typewriter.
If you fuc*ed up ..Snach the page out and start again...
It look like this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Remember your first Inspection?-nachi-jpg  

InterNACHI Lifetime Member.
www.1stproinspection.com
roy@1stproinspection.com
Serving Gainesville Florida and surrounding areas.
Florida Certified Contractor #CRC1328001
Florida Certified Home Inspector #HI7019
Deus solus me iudicare potest
#1st Pro Inspection
Old 2/10/18, 6:08 PM

Kenneth .........................

In the mid 1970's till mid/late 1980's we did NOT have cell phones, we did NOT have PC's (let alone smart phones, tablets, etc); SELDOM took a picture BUT if for some weird reason you did ...... It was a Poloroid or 35mm NOT a digital one

No computerized inspection software ..... either a short 4-8 pg checklist OR go home and type on something like Roy said (Royal or IMB Selectric typewriter).

NO Infrared Cameras OR laser levels. It was simplistic. We had no written OR signed inspection agreement till mid 1980's. Just did it and gave out the report.

Tools were simple ...... 12' to 15' ladder; binoculars; electric outlet tester; Streamlite flashlight; inspection mirror for furnace heat exchangers; screwdriver & nutdriver / combo; $30 moisture meter with pins only.

Never thought about insurance till late 1980's ....... Never heard of an inspector getting sued till late 1980's

The old days ..............What else could you need.

Dan Bowers, CMI
Old 2/11/18, 2:51 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Smile Re: Remember your first Inspection?

Quote:

Be careful Dan as Nick will put you in the InterNachi museum!

Ken Brittain, CPI
Home Vue Inspection Services, llc
Inspecting Charlotte, Concord & Surrounding Cities
InterNACHI 11071502 NCHILB 3262
704-455-0482

Old 2/11/18, 2:51 PM

What I remember more is writing my first report as it took forever!

Ken Brittain, CPI
Home Vue Inspection Services, llc
Inspecting Charlotte, Concord & Surrounding Cities
InterNACHI 11071502 NCHILB 3262
704-455-0482

Old 2/12/18, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Ross Perot?
Old 2/12/18, 10:51 PM

Sounds Familiar

Dan Bowers, CMI