Roof ridge caps

On this newer ridge cap it appears there is a nailer shingle under each ridge cap piece. The problem is that there is an exposed area which would allow for high winds to rip the ridge cap off because it does not sit flush and they are not adheared to the shingle below. They are very easy to raise after a year of installation.

Has anyone seen this before it is a first for me.

Looks like an actual ridge cap shingle. Most never use them because its easier and cheaper to rip 3 tabs down. They usually are wind rated to some extent but the manufacutrer would provide more info.

I agree that you should research the manufacturer’s installation instructions or recommend your client do that

I did research it, but it says to be installed down wind. How the hell can you do that on a hip roof in Florida!

I would suggest each one to be sealed down with roof cement

I have seen it before. Usually when a roofer cuts a dimensional shingle to make a ridge cap. I would also just recommend adding shingle adhesive.

or bubble gum :mrgreen:

Of course my disclaimer would say that all repairs should be performed by a licensed contractor and they should further evaluate and repair as needed. I never put how-to repair something in writing as an inspector. I do make some recommendations verbally though. :wink:

Dan, you hit the nail on the head, or not. You are absolutely correct, many cap shingles do not have that adhesive strip which would seal it to the shingle underneath so a little roofing cement will do the trick. This and price is why many roofers will cut down 3 tab shingles to use them as ridge shingles.

Ridge caps made with 3 tab shingles are made by cutting full-lenght shingles at the tab cutouts.
They need to be trimmed back at the ends of the caps by 1", this allows better contact to the adhesive strips and allows it to settle down at the corners.
The photo shows otherwise.
You can also get enhanced profile hip and ridge caps from the manufacturer. :slight_smile:

Would these qualify??? :shock:
Just a little roof cement!

Those are actually pretty common here in CA. They are just as you said - designed specifically as ridge caps with a fold to cover the fastener. They are designed to be “self-sealing” after they’ve been fastened.

Generally, they will last about 10 to 12 years before needing to be replaced. I don’t know how well they would hold up against Florida storms.

Thanks to all for their input!