Roof ridge sag

Hello all. On todays pre-listing inspection, I noticed the roof ridges are sagging a good deal . When talking to the owner about it, she stated it was an intentional part of the build…as to look a certain way. Unfortunately, the attic was not accessible, so I couldn’t confirm structural issues with the roof framing members.
I plan to report for further evaluation/correction from licensed roofing etc etc…or are some roofs really built to look like this…?:shock:

:roll:What a complete load of baloney!:roll:

Yes, there are buildings designed to have sloping, curved roofs on this planet.
Old Japanese temples for instance.

But this house has issues not design.

And you wouldn’t suggest a roofer to evaluate this.
Licensed contractor or SE.

1 Like

Sooooo many plumbing vents protruding through the roof…

Chris,

It does appear to me to be intentional. The up turned ends look identical and the roof in between looks straight. Just state in your report *“The upturned ends were part of the original design, as stated by the owner.” *

Thanks for the help everyone!

I disagree.
This “design element” is so subtle it doesn’t make sense, not worth the effort.
If there were other homes in the neighborhood like this I’d change my tune, but I’ll bet there aren’t.
Can you post an overall shot of the front of the house?

I never seen anything like it, but I tend to agree with Randy.
It looks to symmetrical to not have been intentional.

Starting to think the design was intentional. Notice the facia getting taller at the peak of the roof. Also, the 'sagging" or “upturned ends” of the ridges is the trend on all of the roof planes. This home is not a track style home, but a 1965 house with many add ons and custom features.

Thanks for the front shot, yes the fascia does seems to indicate intention so I’ll go with the overall opinion. But sure is a funny little detail.

The fascia shot should have been in the first post. Interesting detail.

I agree, the question was self explanatory with that picture.

Got it! Thanks for the help, All!

Were you able to see the ridge from the attic? sometimes there is a build up on top of the ridge board to create this effect. Not sure how well it can be seen in the attached picture.

My two cents are; typically sag is a gradual. It doesn’t form two perfectly straight lines.