Scheduled to inspect a home we did a pre-listin inspection on

I have no doubt this question has been asked before but having a hard time finding it.

I just saw we are booked to inspect a home later this week for a home we did the pre-listing inspection on. Ideas on how to proceed? Obviously I need to disclose that.

How long ago was your pre-listing inspection? Did you talk about using the pre-listing inspection with the seller as a selling tool?

One way:

You are not at liberty to disclose the seller’s inspection findings without written consent except safety items, etc. So, call the seller and let him know that you are booked to inspect his home for a buyer and ask if you can show the buyer the carefully done repairs to keep his home in tip top shape after you reported the issues to him that you found…get an email from him okaying the disclosure.

If you get the okay, and something is covered over/hidden, you could recommend that your new buyer client ask the seller through his realtor how it was repaired and to see receipts from the professionals that did the repair, in writing, of course.

YMMV

The same situation happened to me several times. I just went ahead and did a normal inspection. Things can change.

I only disclosed the fact if someone asked me. (Maintaining confidentiality.)

Cheers

Yes… just do it, Say nothing , Worked for us .No problems.
Just another inspection

It’s prudent to ask the question.

In many cases, the prospective buyer will have read the pre-inspection report. Disclosing the fact that you did the pre-listing inspection affords the prospective client with the opportunity to ask you the question … “What if you find an important defect that you missed the first time? Will revealing it to me in my inspection report put you in bad standing with the seller who paid you for the errant pre-inspection if I walk from the deal?” … and to consider how likely you may be to actually find/report something you missed.

Concealing the fact that you did the pre-listing inspection from the prospective buyer can create suspicions of fraud, particularly in the event of any missed defects that are discovered after closing. Fraud, as you know, is not covered by E&O and carries unlimited punitive damages. Accordingly, complete and total transparency in the highly litigious area of real estate transactions is always the best policy.

Sound advice!

Thank you. Good advice.