Serviceable

How do you explain the term “serviceable” to a customer who asks?

How does your report define it?

Not sure why you would ever want to use that word in an inspection report but here are some difinitions:

fulfilling its function adequately; usable.
“an aging but still serviceable water supply system”

in working order, working, functioning, functional, operational, operative

functional and durable rather than attractive.

Michael

I have following definition in all my reports.

Serviceable Condition - Systems or components inspected in the report that appear to be in serviceable condition are defined as capable of being used, or serving the purpose for which they were intended. Serviceable systems or components may however, show some wear or deterioration consistent with their age.

I do not ever use that term. Attorneys will eat you alive in court. It either works, or it doesn’t. It is either new, or older. That term, to me, says that someone has access to the unit, and can come out and work on it.

That is WORSE than the word serviceable!

I see little reason to use the words “serviceable”

But then we all have opinions. :wink:

It means what you define it as meaning in your report/agreement, I would think.

I wouldn’t use that word, it’s open to be interpreted numerous ways to be used against you.

That’s a good and accurate description. I use the phrase “Appeared Serviceable” a lot in my reports, instead of the generic “Inspected”. Serviceable Condition is a very common term used in manufacturing/refurbishing, parts and component inspections, and even aircraft inspections. I really don’t think a court would “Eat you alive”.:roll:

Thanks. I explained it as fulfilling its intended purpose without regard for cosmetic wear/flaws.

The reason I was asking was to see if there were other common interpretations in use for home inspectors.

Functional or Defective that’s it black and white

I agree.