Software Buyer, Beware (caveat emptor)

Gentlemen:
I posted this under Report Writing Software (or something like that), but wanted to give it greater exposure.

Many of you now me as a former VP of NACHI, the President of Porter Valley Software (PVS), and the author of the narratives in InspectVue Residential and InspectVue Commercial. Many of you also know, Nick included, that I never try to sell my software; I demonstrate it when asked and then advice inspectors to check out other software. In fact, I nearly always nod toward Home Gauge. Nick, and Russell of Home Gauge know this).The free enterprise system works wonderfully well, without any help from me. As an existentialist, I’m faced with the responsibility of making me who I am and for making the world a better place. That being said, I have to step into the fray.
You will notice that NACHI has a “new user,” a person identified as Martin Peterson who, by his last post, is revealed as Martin Hewitt, a “new vendor” hawking his software: Inspectmaster. Well, let me tell you something about Mr. Hewitt. He is a former user of InspectVue who has shameless ripped-off huge blocks of my narratives, which now appear in InspectMaster. I have spent several days documenting this beyond any shadow of a doubt, and am consulting with an attorney with a view to prosecuting him. In the meantime, I intend to foward the proof to Nick. In the meantime, please call me direct at PVS (800) 388-4541, and I’ll tell you more about Mr. Hewitt and his software. Like Mark Twain, I can lie but I won’t.

Keith, that is very disappointing to hear. You have been, and remain, an excellent InterNACHI member who has always been giving of his time, wisdom, and expertise. All to the benefit of InterNACHI members.

It is a sad truth that there are those who lack creativity and will rip off the work product of others for a fast buck. In the end, those people will not succeed (or at least I hope not).

I wish you continued success, and would like to recommend to EVERYone that has not yet read Inspect and Protect or **Manual for a Happy Home **to get themselves a copy - they are well written and full of VERY helpful, useful, and easy to read information!

That’s very kind of you to say. For what my opinion is worth, your many posts have certainly earned my respect.

Hi Keith
Since you dont advertise InspectVue on the NACHI MB You are welcome to advertise it on the CMI MB. None of the other software vender’s have opted to list there programs there so the field is wide open.

Thank you for your kind offer.

This is a copywrite issue, not criminal. Did help creat the other software?

I’ve just learned from Carl Fowler of 3d Inspection Software, another competitor of mine and another vendor I respect, that Martin Hewitt infringed on 3D’s coprighted material in July of this year (a fancy way of saying "stole from Carl and 3d), and was sent a “cease and desist” letter. If anyone has Hewitt’s software send it back to him and consider the software of decent honest vendors, like Dominic J. Maricic, Jeff Knight, Carl Fowler of 3D, and Russell Buchannan of Home Gauge. Speaking for Porter valley Software, I’ll make damn near any deal to keep a crook out of the market place.

Gary,
I don’t think Keith is talking about criminal action, he’s talking about civil action.

Dominic

Gary,
I think Keith is talking about civil action, not criminal.

Dominic

Some people just need to be whacked; but I guess that’s criminal.

How come this doesn’t surprise me ? Sorry to hear about your run-ins with this wonderful Martin person Keith and thanks for standing your ground against these type of people.

Jeff:
As Johnathan Swift said a few hundred years ago: “I never wonder to see men wicked, but I often wonder to see them not ashamed.”

Keith,

I like the tactic of shining the bright light on industry cockroaches like this.

Any thoughts on prtecting work product against such unscrupulous practices? I have my own version of report (much of which is derived from RR) that I have spent an enormous amount of time adapting and will be having my inspectors use.

It never occurred to me until now that one of them might attempt to take the narratives…any suggestions?

JM

JM:
I really don’t know how to advise you. One can copyright material in many ways, but I’d feel much better if you asked an attorney about this. Also, having spoken with RR and been impressed by his knowledge you might want to ask him. Good luck.

I will be asking an attorney, but sometimes their advice is more theoretical than practical… seems you have just lived it, so I was wondering if there were any life-wisdom tips you had gleaned. I am also impressed by RR and his knowledge and experience. I will be previewing the report system for him in the near future.

Thanks for raising the issue, as I had not even thought about it before!!