Sticky shoes

What type of shoes do you find work best for traversing roofs?

The more shoe tread contacting the roof the better. I wear a black like dress shoe made by Shetchers and sold by JC Pennys but my girlfiend and to continously stop by and ask for the shoe before they finally stocked it. You definitely want to stay away from deep threads on souls for you do not track in dirt etc.

I always take my shoes off when I enter the home. Usually, I walk around inside in my socks but carry an extra pair of shoes in for when I go into the attic.

I have found the “Merrill” hiking shoes are great for traction with out holding mud in the treads. They flex very well and are as comfortable as just wearing socks.

I always take my shoes off when I enter the home.

We have’nt had enough rain around here to make a mud pie.:frowning:

Cougar Paws.

I just wear my Timberline work boots. Plenty of traction.

Those hospital shoe soul covers is what I usually use, but only when a house has light carpet. Some of the houses in rural missouri are not very clean to begin with.

Same as Neil, you can found problem in the floor that you can’t with shoes on.

I use what ever split toed boot have laying around with a traction enhancer.

For real steep roof I find myself having to use my hands.

Heck sames times unfolding a ladder, i climb walls. :smiley:

Bruce,
What kind of problems?

CROCS http://www.crocs.com/

I can hear the laughter now but they really work better than any others I’ve tried and I’ve spent some bucks just on roof footwear.

There are a number of Texas inspectors that are wearing them for steep and tiled roofs that swear by them, as do I.

I’ll never give up my RedWings
Bad back, bad knees, bruised heel bones…only boots,shoes,sneakers I can wear and have no discomfort.

I use crepe soled shoes (actually desert boots) The type/style used by the Brits during WWII. I have full sole contact to the roofing shingles. Another plus is it does not pick up dirt that can come loose later in the house. Lightweight & cool and you can get them thru the Cabela’s catalog.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0020237822667a&navCount=1&podId=0020237822667&parentId=cat601942&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat601942&catalogCode=QW&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601942&hasJS=true

Not me!
I do not want to be one more Home Inspector who fell off a roof.
If I feel the least bit nervous ,I get out my Trypod and 25 power scope to see the roof .
I write it up as not able to walk the roof due to ( to steep) ( to wet)
( to fragile) To slippery).
Give my openion to its life and condition and move on with the inspection.
Tennis out side and I also use diffent shoes in the home.

</IMG>

I use what ever split toed boot have laying around with a traction enhancer.

For real steep roof I find myself having to use my hands.

Heck sames times unfolding a ladder, i climb walls. :grin:

The pics I saw looked like they may damage the roof covering resulting in a “perforated shingle”.:stuck_out_tongue:
</IMG>

What’s up with all this tennis shoes?

I would much prefer with shoes that I can rely on daily, because I am on roofs and inclines daily.

Nice to see that some are still wearing the Redwings, Timberline. Very reliable grip action to be on a roof with.

Doug,

The Cabelas are nice, but I would chose the Irish Setter Tamarack GORE-TEX Chukka in lieu of the one you posted, I had a pair before and in no time became slicks.
And no, slicks is not the way to be on a roof with.

At my age, in which I have a choice, I believe I will take Roy Cookes advice.

I have been on enough roofs to know what I am looking at through binoculars. ha. ha.

It is all about vantage points using binoculars. Hey, I don’t even have to worry the wind will knock down my ladder while I am up there. ha. ha.

Good Poll everyone.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smiley:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

I usually wear my Korkers, I use them for Steelhead fishing in the Salmon river in NY. They strap right onto my regular shoes and the carbide tips make it easy to traverse any pitched roof.

That is funney Peter;

Reminds me of my adolescence years when I put bottle caps under my boots so I would stop sliding and slipping. ha. ha.

Marcel :wink:

Hi Marcel, glad you liked it, I almost forgot to say they are great for ice fishing too!!!

I take three pair of footwear with me … RedWing work boots with serious grip. I also use light hiking boots as they have excellent grip and are light weight (Colman Or better). I also take some house slippers for the inside, you can not imagine how much biz. has been turned my way just for the slippers. Oh yea, carry a Vac to clean yp your mess at the crawl.:smiley: