Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

Old 1/5/06, 7:41 PM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via AIM to gbeaumont Send a message via MSN to gbeaumont Send a message via Yahoo to gbeaumont
Default Re: Streets & Trips with GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly1
I am considering the ms streets and trips, have been looking at it for a while. I was wondering how rural it went?
Ben I use MS streets in the car and it worked well over Christmas on a trip to very rural SW Georgia

Regards

Gerry

"To realize our true destiny, we must be guided not by a myth from our past, but by a vision of our future."
(Mark B Adams)

Commercial property Inspection Tampa, Orlando, Sarasota, Jacksonville, Ft Launderdale, Miami, Florida.
NACHI cell 484-429-5466
NACHI02121106

Old 1/5/06, 7:49 PM
Community Guest

Please Note: bkelly1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeaumont
Ben I use MS streets in the car and it worked well over Christmas on a trip to very rural SW Georgia

Regards

Gerry
Does everything come with it for that price, if so, I will be making an investment tommorrow.
Old 1/5/06, 8:26 PM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via AIM to gbeaumont Send a message via MSN to gbeaumont Send a message via Yahoo to gbeaumont

hi to all,

ben I bought the software at Sam's club for $40;00 2 months ago, I allready had the GPS reciever courtesy of Joe Burkeson a few months ago. I understand you can buy both the sofware and the reciever as a kit for around $120 bucks, all you need is your laptop to run it on, I use an old Fujitsu as it is a nice size for the car.

Regards

Gerry

"To realize our true destiny, we must be guided not by a myth from our past, but by a vision of our future."
(Mark B Adams)

Commercial property Inspection Tampa, Orlando, Sarasota, Jacksonville, Ft Launderdale, Miami, Florida.
NACHI cell 484-429-5466
NACHI02121106

Old 1/5/06, 8:36 PM
InterNACHI Member

I have a brand new GPS receiver with a USB connector for laptops. I bought this to use with my laptop in the truck before I ran up on the Palm GPS on Ebay. It receives power via the USB cable and works with MS Streets and Maps. I connected it up just long enough to make sure it worked. If anyone is interested I would let it go for what I paid for it. It has a magnetic base and completely sealed. Flip me an email if you are interested. I got a real good deal on it.
Old 1/5/06, 8:46 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: dspencer is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I have my laptop audio out pluged into my trucks stero and use the voice directions with MS Streets... real nice
Old 1/5/06, 9:09 PM
Retired Member

Smile Re: Streets & Trips with GPS

There's been an almost continuous thread re: GPS on the old board for about 6-9 months. Here's a post I made a couple months ago:
Quote:
I decided I couldn't live without a GPS/Mapping system as few weeks ago. I already had a Magellan GPS so I elected to purchase Microsoft Streets & Trips s/w. I loaded the s/w on my laptop and was easily able to connect and use the GPS. A few days later I had my 1st chance to use the system as I had an inspection about 50 miles away in an unknown area of a well known town on the interstate. I played with the GPS/laptop on the way down to the town and then starting seriously relying on it as I got farther into the town. I followed the Streets & Trips directions and, lo & behold, before long I found myself hopelessly off-track and at the back end of a cemetery. Hey, I just followed the directions. The display was pretty awesome as it was on my laptop and plenty big enough to see easily. Anyway, after backtracking out of the cemetery and stopping to ask for directions I finally found the home I was to inspect. So, the point being, take the directions given with some level of suspicion until you are very confident in whichever system you choose.
Old 1/5/06, 11:48 PM
InterNACHI Member

Location: Neptune Square at Mandalay Beach, Oxnard Shores, California
Send a message via MSN to mzwerin

If you're still unsure if you want to buy MS Streets or not, consider this idea. Try looking around online for a copy of the 2005 version w/ out the GPS device... then find the MS-compatable GPS device separately.
Between rebates & sale prices, it can cost much less if you're patient.

I have 2005 on my tabletPC & on the laptop & I love it! Had it running often on a round-trip up to Montreal in December & it was a real blast. Have done this drive many, many times before but Streets found a few very creative alternative routes that turned out to be really good.

Michael Zwerin
MTC Home Inspections
Palm Beach County, Florida

michael@mtcHomeInspections.com
http://mtcHomeInspections.com

South Florida Home Inspectors Association
http://southFloridaHomeInspectors.com
Old 1/6/06, 3:03 AM
Active Poster

Please Note: rmoore is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

My biggest disappointment so far with the DeLorme Street Atlas (2006) software is the age of the maps. Streets and subdivisions for new homes I did almost three years ago are still missing (although they show up very nicely on Yahoo/Navteq maps). I found a forum for SA and it appears to be a common gripe!

Before I spring for the MS streets and trips software only ($39.95 les $10 rebate) can anyone tell me how up to date their maps are?
Old 1/6/06, 4:37 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

i have that as well but could not get it to function properl
dwright
Old 1/6/06, 4:44 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

i have GPS with Delorme not thrilled with it but still trying to learn.
Old 1/8/06, 11:31 AM
InterNACHI Member

I use Streets and Trips with GPS every time I travel to Florida. No I-95 or I81 for me. I think we have been on every back road between here and Fla. and S+T has never let us down. "Look honey! According to the GPS we will be crossing a river rrriiiggght .......NOW!"
Old 1/8/06, 11:58 AM
InterNACHI Member

Please Note: phinsperger is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Concensus seems to be that Street & Trips or Garmin are good and Delorme is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore
I really only wanted the software so I could "push-pin" a map for each home I've inspected.
Richard that's a great idea. I might even try to export the locations from my reporting software and import them in to Streets & trips to do just that.
Old 1/8/06, 12:03 PM
InterNACHI Member

Hi to all:

The receiver for both programs is identical, however, to use the delorme receiver with ms trips you will need to go through some configuration steps that may take up to one hour to complete on the microsoft web site. It may be necessary to call India to have them walk you through the steps.

MS trips offers FREE updates on the software to reflect construction zone changes or map updates.

So it comes down to software, the receiver is the same.

Jay Schwartz

Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
Your Florida Home Inspection Company TM
Corporate Office: 954-673-3479
Naples Office: 239-298-4396
1-877-79-Windstorm

www.CoastToCoastHomeServices.com
www.SaveOnWindStorm.com

South Florida Home Inspectors Association

Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP
Old 1/8/06, 12:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore
My biggest disappointment so far with the DeLorme Street Atlas (2006) software is the age of the maps. Streets and subdivisions for new homes I did almost three years ago are still missing (although they show up very nicely on Yahoo/Navteq maps). I found a forum for SA and it appears to be a common gripe!

Before I spring for the MS streets and trips software only ($39.95 les $10 rebate) can anyone tell me how up to date their maps are?
Hi Richard I have found it to be very accurate and the 2006 edition is way ahead of the 2004 which I used before.

Regards

Gerry

(Mark B Adams)

NACHI cell 484-429-5466
NACHI02121106

Old 1/11/06, 7:37 AM
New User

Please Note: jbromwell is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I use my nextel Blackberry 7520 with telenav. I can enter an address through the computer or call it in on my phone. Itr is nice to be able to be able to change or add addresses while I am on the road and lets me do more than one thing with the phone. Plus I am a gadget freak.

Tags
audio, gps, streets, tells, trips