We survived the Lilac Fire

I was doing a home inspection about 30 minutes from my home when a friend called me to let me know about the fire in Bonsall, near my home. The tenant /buyer was present and turned on the news for me. It was rapidly getting out of control and, because of the high winds, moving very quickly in the direction of my home.
I finished the inspection and rushed home. My wife called me to let me know that we received the mandatory evacuation order and that she had packed all the essentials. When I got home we loaded up the 3 cats and 3 dogs, along with important papers, and headed to a pet friendly hotel in Carlsbad.
After two nights in the hotel, and because it looked like they had a good handle on the fire, we decided to defy the evacuation order and go back home. We had to drive on a private dirt road to get around the road blocks to reach our house. When we got there the power was still out. So it was like camping out. All of the food in the freezer and fridge had spoiled, but our home and property were spared.
The evacuation order was lifted last night, and the roads have been reopened. We feel very fortunate. Some of our friends and neighbors lost their homes. We will do what we can to help them. Thank you God for looking over us.
And in the middle of all this, I got the report out on time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1genqS2lDl4)

I’m happy for you. I know that had to be nerve-wracking.

I can’t imagine what you and your neighbors have gone through. We all have much to be thankful.

keep the faith, I hope things get better from this point

The most stressful part was the hotel room with dogs and cats that don’t co-habitate well. :grin:

Glad you’re safe -

Good news Frank glad it all worked out for you, Your dogs and cats do not get along? at least they can be in the same room. Cats cannot be within 500 yards my dog

Great news!

Great news!

I thought about you when I heard about the SD fire.

Glad to hear you and your family are okay and that your house is still standing.

Hopefully the weather will change soon and this tragedy will come to an end.

I’m glad your home is still standing Frank. I hope you never have to experience anything like this again.

They can’t be in the same room. We had to get a suite to keep them separated. The cats are ok,it’s the dogs. Well, one dog really. He wants to eat the cats, and then the other two will just join in if it gets started. The cats really enjoyed it. They usually sleep in the garage, so sleeping in the same room as us was a treat for them. I woke up with a cat on my chest.

Frank,
It’s good to hear that you and your extended family came through OK.

He was stealing your breath. You’re lucky you woke up at all.

Wow, I guess that was close. I’ve been so lucky this weekend. :slight_smile:

Always sleep with the dogs, they’re more trustworthy.

'm really glad you and your family are OK Frank

Frank glad that you and your family are safe and you didn’t loss your property. sending prayers for all of those who were not so fortunate.

Glad for you and the Family Frank. Unfortunate for many others though.
I don’t know how you were able to do that home inspection under the stress that your Home might be in danger along with the Family. I would have hauled a ss out of there quick. ;):slight_smile:

I was watching it closely. I only had about 30 minutes left for the inspection. It started about 10 miles from the house, but moved pretty rapidly. My wife was also updating me. We have a plan for such events, and she was packed and ready before I even got home.