Swimming pool Plaster

Does anyone know where a good source of infomation about the type and or composition of swimming pool plaster and or where this information can be found?

Also, any good interior pool paint product names, or locations that it can be purchased?

OH NO! Here we go again!!!:shock:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=732&page=2&highlight=gunnite

Relax Joe. I think that even Russell will agree that plaster is a different animal.

Um, I have a question about Gunite. ducks :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a 35 year old concrete 8’ deep in ground pool at my house, and I use a paint called Waterborne. It has held up very well over the last year of service. Best of all, it can be applied over epoxy or other pool paints that are very thoroughly cleaned first. And I mean pressure cleaned with TSP and 2400 PSI at about 1 to 2” nozzle distance to the pool surface. You need to totally de-gloss the underlying paint and give the new coating a good etched surface to adhere too. After paint application the pool needs to sit open to the air for about 1 full week to completely dry. Remember that Waterborne is a water based paint, so it needs all of its cure time to cure properly for pool service.

There is a better coating called Sanitred, but it’s kind of expensive, and takes a lot of preparation with sandblasting and open flame dehydration of the concrete before application. But with Sanitred you can waterproof freaking wicker basket! This stuff is amazing! It will withstand all known and possible levels of negative hydrostatic pressure. This is the force of underground water that tries to make your empty pool float up out of the ground like a boat. Sanitred will allow you to repair a severely damaged pool surface, one that is written off by experts as a loss. Figure to spend $4000 to repair a typical family pool with Sanitred. The typical pool is a 16x30 kidney shaped pool with 8’ deep end. But $4000 is good as opposed to completely replacing the pool.

Thank You Cortland,

I have a number of customers who ask questions about the pools and the maintenance, so helping them answer their questions, although not a requirement, is part of inspection process.

Pete

There don’t seem to be any pool builders here who build deep ends anymore, especially in residential properties. Too much liability for idiots bopping their head when diving into the deep end and then suing the builder for not including diving instructions, etc. One pool builder stated that this started in the late 1970s or early 1980s when pool construction in back yards became available to the masses, so everyone was having one built and then suing the builder for not building it deep enough, or not warning what might happen when diving into pools, or not warning about proper use of diving boards, etc. My pool company in Houston also does not build deep ends anymore; maximum depth is 4½ feet. I believe there are some pool builders in Texas who do still build deep ends.