Is there anything wrong with this flex install?

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24671&stc=1&d=1224202891

Was told this install was not correct by gas company workers . have no specific things that were wrong just that it was wrong. is it the down turn after the trap before the flex pipe?

P1010687.JPG

Ron,

I loved all your movies.

Flex line can not go thru a steel cabinet. Its hard to see in the photo

I don’t see the problem. But use the correct terminology: “appliance connector”.

Sorry about terminology. appliance connector does not go through cabinet it connects right outside cabinet. Going to get rid of bend and hope it makes them happy.Has anyone came accross utility works that are just old fashioned and just dont like flexable piping instead of ridged?

Make sure the appliance connector is 36" or less also. I agree that getting rid of the 90 degree down bend by rotating it would probably be wise. Also, be sure the gas piping is supported properly. Personally, I’d be more concerned about whatever that is that was used on the W/H TPRV discharge piping. Make sure that’s an approved material.

Hi Ron
The flex line has to be connectted to a tee. The elbow there is against code.

6.11.4 Where an appliance is connected to a flexible piping or tubing system connection to the appliance shall be outside the cabinet and into a tee fitting containing a drip pocket and rigid piping that extends to the appliance gas valve.

Hope this helps.

Very nice Gerry

Sorry I hated your movies, as all that back hair just ruined the mood .

Ron , the drip leg needs to protect the gas valve and it is down stream in this picture.

(sorry , I just saw this thread.)

Put that shutoff on the tee!

Sorry Bob but you are wrong on the placement of the valve. This is the correct positioning. In order to clean out the drip leg, it would have to be after the valve so the gas can be turned off to remove the cap.

The drip leg is there to protect the valve Steven.

Buzzzzzzzzzzz…wrong answer.

Wrong Bob. So how do you propose to clean out the drip leg? Turn off the gas to the whole home?

You aren’t protecting the shut off valve, it is either open or shut. You are protecting the burner/orifice of the unit.

What model code is that Gerry? Must be a regional thing. I almost never find tees or drip legs on gas supply lines to any appliances here in california. Older structures ocassionally, last 25 years or so, never…

Drip legs are always required, but darn it Steven got me on the placement issue.

I should have cheated and looked it up first.

First time I ever heard of them not being rquired some where.
You Californians are a bunch of freaks.

Hi Will

It’s based on the Canadian Standards Association code B149. Which is our National natural gas and propane code.

Good searching with the code Gerry, but do you have any idea what the real world reasoning would be for that requirement.?

Yes Robert

The safety valve on the top is so you can service the gas line/furnace in the event of an emergency or maintenance. Since the drip leg is the lowest point of the gas line any condensation would collect there and after shutting off the gas you could easily drain the line,similiar to a dry sprinkler system. The tee of course is just to run a line to the appliance. The elbow is illegal for a flex line because in the avent of something or someone falling against it it is easier to pull out causing a gas leak.

That is my understanding of this set up, at least what was tought to me. If wrong I am willing to take my lumps and learn.

I can"t think of a better reason.

Funny how installing gas lines and inspecting them , I would get the setup backwards on the forum.

I will blame this darn 5 hour report I just finished.

May be I was thing of the term dirt leg , and you would not want dirt in the shutoff valve.

LOL… that’s for sure

Does anyone care about the Teflon tape after the reducing tee and lack of a operating handle on the gas valve?

Oh, and what kind of pipe is that on the TPR of the water heater?