Thermal-imaging

Is there anyone in the West Palm Beach area that does thermal imaging? I have a client who has some issues and I looking for someone who can help me. He has a leak in what appears to be the second story window (exterior stucco), but I want to be sure thats where its at. I am looking to get a camera soon but I want to make sure it is worth the PRICE.

I’m a bit far from you but have a camera, it’s well worth the price! The two attached pictures show water that was not visable with the naked eye. The first image is of water leaking under a carpet from a bathroom the otherside of the wall. The second image is of water leaking under a carpet on my test rige that I use to demonstrate the camera abilities to realtors. I put about 3 TBLS behind the wall and the camera found it.

study leak.jpg

test wall.jpg

I have been looking into this technology as well. How many clients request this service? I am in NH and understand the demographics are different but as a referance, in your area, does it get requested and what type of fee do you charge?
Thank You
Above And Below Home Inspections
Dennis Fitton

I do not get specific requests but then I have only been marketing it for about six weeks. My decision to buy it was based around my engineering background and the use I have made of such devices in the Aerospace industry added to it that I’m a self confessed gadget junky and you have it in a nutshell. However, in the short time I have had it I have found hot junctions behind dry walls, water in ceilings and the clients seem impressed.:slight_smile:

ITs not that the client request it, but the fact that you can advance your inspection skills and add another dimension to add to your inspection if they are willing to pay. It would great on roof inspections as well. Thanks for the input. The price would be the issue as far as what to charge for the service.:wink:
Billings Home Inspections
West Palm Beach FL

The above is what I have also found.

Raise your prices and market the heck out of it. Go beyond regular home inspection.

Market to:

Flood remedtion comanies.
Plumbers
Hydronic (under slab) heating contractors.
People who install electrically or water heater bathroom floor.
New construction contractors (to check for water retention in the lumber, pre-drywall).
Roofers. Do attic inspections.
EIFS contractors.

Let’s expand the envelope!

Mark. Permission to use your photos in a NACHI education course I am writing?

Good luck with the marketing angle, Will. As you know, I remainin very interested for any evidence that any inspector using this technology is able to market it in such a way that they can recover the cost of the tool in a reasonably short period of time (3-6 months would be my max).

It seems that every inspector who uses it has a similar response to William’s where they find that clients are not requesting it and they are meeting with limited or little success in selling it as an upgrade, add on or stand alone feature.

I will be interested to see if you meet with any early success - keep us posted!

Joe;

Computers, the internet, refrigerators and automobiles (to name a few) started off slow.

I would rather be on the cutting edge than the trailing edge.

Not a judgment or a cut (I have the highest respect for your opinions, as you know).

Different areas, different markets.

True enough, Will.

You know I think it is a cool toy, but with all the good marketing guys we know of, why can’t anyone make this thing pay for itself?

It just seems odd. And that has me hesitant on this issue… That said, I would have loved to have had one today!!

There are likely some making good money, just not bragging about it and inviting competition.

I know, Joe.

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Look at it fom my point of view, just by way of explaination.

I got a $10,000 ‘gift from G-d’, in the form of an unexpected (and perfectly legal!) tax refund (my wife is a (former) CPA (and a good one).

I was lusting after one of these.

I have a backround with them (1977-1982, University of Chicago staff, Health Physicist working on (among other things) thermography for detection of breast cancer (nice work, if you can get it!!! :mrgreen:).

I learned the theory early and have kept up-to-date over the years.

The first thing I did, when I got the blasted thing, was to ‘image’ my 17 year old daughter’s knees (old injury) and show them to her Orthopedist (you could clearly see the right knee damage. Only 1.8 degrees F of difference.). He changed her therapy and know she has a good shot at getting into Annapolis. In my world, it just paid for itself (plus, it is fully deductable as a depreciating asset.).

New things take time. We have to EDUCATE.

Response?

Not yet, but trying.

(As far as you know!). :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Eduaction and marketing is the key to ultimate success.

I think there is SO much work to do in those areas, however, that the cost benefit analysis (at least from my perspective) is not likely to change much in the next year (or possibly much more).

In your case - I have a daughter too (5 years old). If it helped her reach her goals or make her dreams a reality in any way, no price is too much.

Perhaps, but you have to have some marketing to make the money - people have to be able to find you, and that is noticably absent in nearly all the areas I can find.

There is no awareness of this technology among the buying public, so there is still likely a significant amount of work and effort needed to make it viable financially (let alone successful).

Seems expensive. I would like to have one but I would only use it as an optional service. For now I’ll refer a company that specializes in thermal imaging and who does not do home inspections.

That’s the key