If Your Thinking About Becoming A Home Inspector....

If you are thinking about becoming a home inspector because your current business is in the tank, don’t think that the home inspection business is any better right now. Like everything else, including real estate, it is not going to make you a living any time soon.

If you have a job, keep it. Fill your pockets and be thankful. Home inspection is as tough as any other struggling sector of business right now.

If you have deep pockets and nothing better to do, by all means, join the ranks of struggling inspectors in your area.

Sorry for the downer. Just frustrated today I guess.

1 Like

Sounds like you need a drink Dave, maybe a few.

Linas - Maybe you’re right. I am trying to hard. I think I’ll have a beer or six…

I feel your pain. Ill have a few drinks with you.

David ,it runs in cycles.

keep your goals focused on the future rather than the now.

Here ya go.

J.B unless you are intimate with a Broker we all went through getting ready to hang it up at some point.

I remember every time I started thinking that way a job would pop up and keep me going.

The economy is so bad that people are reading…and actually believing…the ads where they can become “home inspectors” and work “part time hours for full time wages” and that bunk.

There is a truth that they need to know. More than 90% of them will be in a different job within 3 years. There is another big fallout between the three and five year mark.

This was true BEFORE the bubble popped, according to info published by Nick a couple of years ago.

Inspectors who will be in this business in 2013 will be using these times to advance their skills and knowledge…building their canals in the desert so that, when the rain comes, they will be ready.

Remember a few years ago when R. Ray was the Pied Piper for newby marketing…teaching them how to do $49 “walk throughs” until someone was willing to pay them $1200 for a full inspection? “Choices, choices, choices…” he called it. When the majority of them all fell out, he had no one else to fall for his “paper back book” marketing tips and left to sell them to newby used house salesmen at Active Rain, where the turnover is just as great.

Turnover has always been a part of this business.

Don’t get me wrong guys. I have no intension of leaving the business. Just wanted to vent a little frustration. Each of you are right in your comments. Thanks. Tomorrow may be better. If not, what can not be remedied must be endured…

By the way, all these home inspection schools are leading people down a path that is simply not true. Unbelievable how desperate some people are. Crazy. The worst economy I have ever seen in my lifetime.

See, Bob?

Among the newest members to NACHI…along with a few who will be home inspectors…are many, many victims who were duped into being here.

The ease of getting a state license can be misleading and mistaken for the ease of becoming a home inspector.

Having a drink right know.

I never would have gotten in if in desperation I’d not gone to the local community College to try and find training in a new field not yet determined.
At the same time I was taking a RE Course to become an Agent (why do I always think Matrix on that word)?

Anyway I told my Broker Instructor I had read about HI being the new hot field that the State recommends and here is what he said…
Bob people like me get rich buying and selling RE and all your work is going to come from guys like me.
What do you think is going to happen when you kill my deal with your Inspection.

You are either going to do what I say or you are going to go hungry.

I told him I was going to learn how to use a computer and market straight to my future clients.
He just laughed at me.

Just got back from my morning job Downtown where I was hired by a Broker because I do find issues.
I also have multiple website and referrals from past clients that liked my thoroughness.

Just had UPS drop off what is now my 4th computer in 5 years.

I did not start rocking till a little over 2 years ago when I made the decision to quit my other job and sink or swim.
It is like any other business in that you must be committed and be patient.

Wonder if I would still be working as an Agent today.?

The key is to not rely on any one source for most of your referrals. I like to have a good mix of referrals. Out of ten inspections over the past week (I know that’s not much compared to some of you guys) three were Realtor referrals, four were from my website/search engines, one was a past client and two were referrals from past clients.

In the end I don’t want to count on any one source for all of my business but it obviously takes time to have a solid network. I try to be consistent and persistent with marketing.

10 inspections in a week is doing well.

David,
I wish I could wave a magic wand and make things better for all of us, but truth is it is tough out there these days. I just started my inspection business 2 months ago, and have only had a few inspections so far. I have been in the residential construction business for over 30 years, and started to do this several years ago while still living in Texas, but was still paying child support and trying to stay ahead of the ex so I had to keep doing what I was doing. My wife and I moved to Colorado less than a year ago. I moved here opening a division of a construction company out of San Antonio, and then they decided that they didn’t want to be here. I finally told my wife that it was time for me to do what I love and be happy. She agrees, and knows that it will be hard, but I have dedicated myself to this so failure is not an option. I spent way to many years doing things that I didn’t want to do just to keep others happy. I market myself continuously in every way I can think of. I have performed inspections for many years, just not for myself. Now I am in it for the long haul so I will keep on keeping on. If it is truly something you want to do, and you have experience in this area, then keep working at it. It will get better.

James, Your inner meanness is showing. Active Rain is used by alot of the inspectors on this board. Its done more for me in marketing than anything else.
And James, I’m still new, in my second year and have work hard with you to rid our industry here in missouri of the state license proposal. Also there is nothing easy about becoming a GOOD and INFORMED Inspector. Have a Beer. Please!

Agents are going into houses, running faucets, checking switches, turning on heat and A/C, opening doors and windows, all for prospective clients, so they can save $400 or so. Homes are being sold as is anyway, so why get an inspection? Some lenders are bring in their own “home evaluators” from out of state, and appraisers are telling lenders about home defects. Contractors of all types are doing “checks” for free. Roofers are checking roofs, foundation repairmen are doing free foundation inspections.

All in the name of licensing.

Steve…I publish a blog at Active Rain, too. It is heavily Googled and helps me a lot with internet presence. I was referring to just one inspector, Russel Ray.

There are people who honestly believe that the number of closes they attended as a realtor have prepared them to be home inspectors, and have posted this on the message board. I know that you would agree that such folks are not prepared to be home inspectors.

And as far as “meanness”…IMO, the meanest thing we can do is hide the facts from our own members.

Hiding these facts and lying to people with hokey and “positive” thoughts does them more harm than good.

IMO, at the earliest point in which a person recognizes that this is not the career for them…this is when they need to leave. Why waste another year or two at being unsuccessful and enduring a low income? Why waste more money on tools and training? why throw away more money on advertising? Vendors won’t tell you this…because they count on your dollars…but your fellow inspector should be a source for real information, not hyperbole and “feel good” talk.

I know with your skills and, more than that — your courage and lack of fear in putting your name on what you believe and what you stand for ---- you will be a respected inspector known for his integrity as well as his skill.

You are coming along pretty good on your site, Steve. Keep up the good work, and you can raise your prices on mold testing. I have been getting $125 per sample when I am called down in your area without any arguements so far.
I was just in Camdenton last week. It was a repo that a mold remediation company charged the bank $19,000 to remove the mold. They just tore out some drywall out and sprayed a lot of bleach. Sad but true.