Upgrade to Current Standards....

Or maintain existing standards. I inspected a house built in 1935 that had a small concrete column that had shifted in the crawlspace. It as well as the others was not on a pier pad. I recommended that it be corrected to original standards, the owner said that he would bring it up to current standards and I told him that was his option.
Should I have recommended that it be brought up to current standards? If so where does that recommendation end? Crawl and attic venting? Elec. panel access?

Codes are not retroactive. . .

many are grandfathered.

Here is verbiage I put in for items that need correcting, “Recommend repair/replacement by a qualified contractor to the best standards prior to closing.”

Hope this helps.

Don’t get hung up on whether or not it was allowed then, if the house has a problem or issue that can cause a problem or a safety issue just write it up, that is your job.

For example, if the roof was framed in the tpyical manner but is sagging, you need to recommend bracing be added. Be sure to educate your client that these improvements rarely help the cosmetic problems with old houses but they will prevent further movements and damage.

Excellent advice, thank you. Fortunately the support system was good but for the one column but who knows with the next one. On a different subject why are flys called flys but fish aren’t called swims?

InterNACHI SoP state:
An Inspection Report shall describe and identify, in written format, the inspected systems, structures, and components of the dwelling, and shall identify material defects observed. Inspection reports may contain recommendations regarding conditions reported or recommendations for correction, monitoring or further evaluation by professionals, but this is not required.

All you have to do is identify the material defect. You do not have to prescribe the repair method or recommend a repair person.

I think you’ll do quite well here . . .

You can’t do New Work to Old Standards. It must be done by current standards.

You should not be addressing old standards as an issue unless there is a significant deficiency associated with it. Then it must be repaired, to current standards.

In NC we must also give the buyer a better understanding of the property conditions.

In SC we must report the condition of the property.

If you take it upon yourself to decide what is important or not to the buyer you are simply not meeting the standards.

I don’t think NC has ever investigated an inspector that was found to be 100 percent in compliance.