Water leaks above windows

We have had a lot of rain in the Chicagoland area, and warm, wet winters for the past two years. As a result, many masonry buildings (Chicago is primarily a masonry town. Remember the Chicago Fire?) have been having waster intrusion problems. Recently, I have noticed that even well constructed buildings have been suffering from a lot of water intrusion issues above windows and doors.

So, I researched and wrote this article.

Please critique and comment. Hope it helps to educate.

http://deckerhomeservices.com/water%…20problems.htm

Thanks

Will,

Very nice article. Some observations.

"[FONT=Trebuchet MS]But, because there will be water in the wall (rule #2), there mist be drainage flashing above these lintels. "

Spelling correction of bold word.

"[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Some builders will also had weep wicks, lengths of a rope like material that extend up the membrane and help to wick the water out by evaporation."

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Spelling correction of bold word.

"[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS]The main portion of the flashing that must go all the way through the walls (not always done right) and have its rear end turned up and secured to the inside of the wall (called back flashing and also not always done)."

Ad an “is” before the parenthesized sentence and remove the parenthesis for clarity of your sentence.

The two paragraphs starting with “[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS]The most common symptom” and “[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS][FONT=Trebuchet MS]The main portion of the” are apparently intended to describe the flashing technique needed but are slightly disjointed in their current form of two paragraphs. Had to read it several times to get the point. I don’t see why they can’t work as one larger paragraph.

Not sure how it appears on other screens but also the paragraphs don’t all have a line separation between them. For example the last paragraph noted above and the next that wind up between pictures. You have indented the first sentence but it is not clear if that was intended or they are two different paragraphs.

Hopefully some in the trades get to see this or home owners shove it in their face!

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Great article, I found a couple of spellings I do I believe Emanuel found, hope you can find them with my directions.
4th paragraph that any WATER
5th parograph ohe=THE
6th paragraph goes TO the only path
7th paragraph. TO caulk
Looking forward to the final cut.
Thanks for the effort