Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

Old 12/4/18, 6:57 PM
Community Guest

Please Note: eb3 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Is water line connecting the meter to the house subject to a standard Home Inspection

As you may know, the water company is not responsible for the line b/w the meter and the house, only for the water line to the meter. A home owner is responsible for the water line between the meter and the house.

If for example there is a house 300 feet from the water meter.

A leak somewhere along those 300 feet can easily be diagnosed by shutting off the water main in the house, then simply seeing if the water meter still "spins", question: What do you, as professionals, think about a Home Inspector's claim that a huge cost of replacing this line could not have been prevented because Home Inspectors are responsible for inspecting the house, not what is "outside of the house", more specifically - that the water line between the house and the water meter is not what Home Inspector is paid to inspect.
Thank you for posting.
Need a home inspection in Illinois? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Illinois certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/4/18, 11:59 PM
Emmanuel J. Scanlan, TREC# 7593 Emmanuel J. Scanlan, TREC# 7593 is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: Is water line connecting the meter to the house subject to a standard Home Inspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3 View Post
As you may know, the water company is not responsible for the line b/w the meter and the house, only for the water line to the meter. A home owner is responsible for the water line between the meter and the house.

If for example there is a house 300 feet from the water meter.

A leak somewhere along those 300 feet can easily be diagnosed by shutting off the water main in the house, then simply seeing if the water meter still "spins", question: What do you, as professionals, think about a Home Inspector's claim that a huge cost of replacing this line could not have been prevented because Home Inspectors are responsible for inspecting the house, not what is "outside of the house", more specifically - that the water line between the house and the water meter is not what Home Inspector is paid to inspect.
Thank you for posting.

Where are you located? If your State has Inspector licensing that might make a difference in the answer.

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

http://www.psinspection.com

TREC License# 7593
ICC Residential Combination Inspector
#5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)
Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!
Old 12/5/18, 12:14 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: Is water line connecting the meter to the house subject to a standard Home Inspec

Home inspectors are not required to shut off the water main in the house, and in fact, doing so could cause more harm than good.

Not every home has a water main. While most houses do, one area I serve on occasion, every house in that area has no main water shut off, only the shut off at the meter.

Home Inspectors are not required to view the water meter. I try, when possible, but it's not always visible. Sometimes it's covered with dirt. Sometimes the entire meter is hidden under landscaping. Sometimes the enclosure the meter is in is filled up with water from rain or irrigation run off.

But lastly, unless it's a significant leak, the meter may not spin much. A pinhole drip leak will barely move the meter, not enough to be visible to the naked eye, without noting where it is, and coming back later to see if it's moved.

And simply noting where it is at the start, and at the end does no good, because any inspector if any value to going to run lots of water during the inspection.
Old 12/5/18, 12:41 AM

Every inspector that I know disclaims underground plumbing and will not operate water main or other service valves, as doing so represents an unreasonable liability for the home inspector should a valve or pipe fail. Monitoring the meter over a brief period of time also is not a reliable method of testing for a leak in the main.

Were you given an inspection agreement to review prior to the inspection? Did you read and sign the agreement? Did the agreement exclude underground piping systems? Every business person should have the right to limit their liability. If that limitation was communicated to you, then any other opinions are moot.

Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)
Level III Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer (#8402)
HomeCert Houston Home Inspections & Thermal Inspections Find us on Facebook
The Woodlands Home Inspections
Magnolia TX Home Inspections & Thermography

Houston, TX

SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.
Old 12/5/18, 1:55 AM
Community Guest

Please Note: eb3 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Where are you located? If your State has Inspector licensing that might make a difference in the answer.
State of Missouri.
Estimated 15,000 gallons of water leaking per month.

Other posters seem to suggest that enough disclaimers are likely inserted into agreements that customers must sign prior to home inspection, that any additional information is irrelevant.

For non-experienced first time home buyer paying a reputable costly inspector, it appears that the only way the can find out if there is a leak between the house and the meter is the hard way, since there is no way that a new home buyer would just simply "know" to do this.

Do you maybe think that inspectors should include this in their jobs, if only to simply tell the buyer to shut off the main themselves and check if the water meter is spinning, thereby making any discussion about inspector's liability moot since they wouldn't do it. It just seems to me like this should be a part of the home inspection one way or another. Simply telling your customer about this could save them thousands of dollars.

Surprisingly, the Home Inspector said that he would "go after the previous owner," since the water company informed the previous owner of the leak, and the previous owner did not disclose this. Home Inspector said that it is irrelevant that the house contract included an "as is" addendum - that not disclosing this is fraud.

I am also surprised that this is in *no way* part of current inspection process for any of the professionals posting here. What chances does a first time home owner have to protect themselves against this? It seems zero. None.
Old 12/5/18, 8:51 PM

Quote:
State of Missouri.

Apparently there are no licensing requirements in Missouri and unfortunately no mandatory minimum inspection requirements.

If this was occurring prior to the purchase then there is no way this could not have been known by the homeowner. Were you able to retrieve the previous water bills to determine when the leakage started? Here again though unfortunately Missouri has virtually no mandated disclosure rules and nothing to cover this type issue. Missouri property conveyance laws can be found here.

Chapter 442 Titles and Conveyance of Real Estate

If you were provided a disclosure form of any type you should read it over again and go to the form source for a description of how it is to be filled out. If the form was not properly annotated for this situation then your State may have fraud and deception laws that might cover this.

Other posters seem to suggest that enough disclaimers are likely inserted into agreements that customers must sign prior to home inspection, that any additional information is irrelevant.

It is important for Inspectors in any State to use a contract with any limitations made clear to set the client's expectations. It is also very important for the consumer to thoroughly read any contract and fully understand it before they sign. But again we do have many Inspectors who place many different and well worded caveats and disclaimers that may not be completely clear.

For non-experienced first time home buyer paying a reputable costly inspector, it appears that the only way the can find out if there is a leak between the house and the meter is the hard way, since there is no way that a new home buyer would just simply "know" to do this.

Unfortunately there are many Inspectors that only perform the minimum amount required by whatever standard they are following. Here in Texas our Standards Of Practice (SOP) is the minimum required and there is so much more that can be done. Other Inspectors do perform way beyond any minimum requirements for all clients and do provide additional support to the first time home buyers. This is one case where going beyond the minimum might have helped catch the issue.

If you don't mind me asking how many Sq. Ft. is the house and what was your fee for inspecting the house without any additional services fee?

Do you maybe think that inspectors should include this in their jobs, if only to simply tell the buyer to shut off the main themselves and check if the water meter is spinning, thereby making any discussion about inspector's liability moot since they wouldn't do it. It just seems to me like this should be a part of the home inspection one way or another. Simply telling your customer about this could save them thousands of dollars.

In Texas our SOP only requires that we report on the location of the water meter and that is all. However the very first part of my inspection protocol is to locate the meter, inspect it, check for leak dial movement, then actually turn a hose bibb (exterior faucet) on at a very little dribble and check the leak dial again to ensure it is functioning. These meter leak dials are very sensitive and at 15K Gallons a month that is a substantial leak occurring which should cause the leak dial to rotate. Some times the meter box is flooded or some municipalities place special locking covers on them and these are reported as inaccessible for viewing.

I do this not only for the client's benefit checking for possible leaks but also for my own protection. If nobody is in the house and that leak dial is moving it is noted and the first thing done after walking through the door is to search for a possible cause. If it can not be found or is obviously a flooding condition then again for my protection the seller's Agent or builder (new construction) is immediately notified.

As for manipulating any main valve that is a risk that must be assessed on any home. Many main valves located on the exterior of existing homes are in very bad shape and it is a significant liability risk to attempt manipulating them. Instead they are reported on in their poor condition with the recommendation the seller display to the buyer its operation. If it fails let the seller assume the risk and expense.

Surprisingly, the Home Inspector said that he would "go after the previous owner," since the water company informed the previous owner of the leak, and the previous owner did not disclose this. Home Inspector said that it is irrelevant that the house contract included an "as is" addendum - that not disclosing this is fraud.

Yes that is very surprising that the Home Inspector made that statement! If you have that in writing I would most certainly hold the Home Inspector to that claim. I am not an Attorney but unless there was a requirement to disclose this (see my comments above) then there may be no basis for "Fraudulent Activity" by the seller. That would be something for your Attorney to review and determine though.

I am also surprised that this is in *no way* part of current inspection process for any of the professionals posting here. What chances does a first time home owner have to protect themselves against this? It seems zero. None.

There is "a way" for this to be part of any Home Inspector's inspection protocol. Again unfortunately many subscribe to the "Do the minimum" mantra and forget how going beyond the minimum not only helps the client but can also help protect the Inspector!

I have provided comments and questions above in blue. If you would like to discuss this further I am more than happy to. My contact information is in my profile, just click on my name above.

TREC License# 7593
Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!

Last edited by escanlan; 12/5/18 at 11:35 PM..
Old 12/5/18, 9:59 PM

Quote:
State of Missouri.

Ah, but see, you omitted these important facts earlier. Leaving us to guess as to the situation.

A leak could mean anything. A small drip underground would be very difficult to spot, as I stated, even if you stared at the meter for an hour.

But 15,000 gallons a month is NOT a small leak and not the same situation.
One would think such a large volume of water would leave some sort of identifiable evidence that something isn't right. Mud spot, sinkhole.

I have found such leaks before, but the water bubbling up from the lawn and down the street was a pretty good giveaway.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Missouri law, but I would suspect, ultimately, yes, the seller is the person who wronged you.

Here in California, if a seller failed to disclose a known defect like that, and you had proof of such, they would indeed be liable, and it would be a pretty easy case for you to go after the seller and win.

I seriously don't know how an inspector could go after the seller for you unless they're also a lawyer.
Old 12/5/18, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayer View Post
I seriously don't know how an inspector could go after the seller for you unless they're also a lawyer.

Maybe he is a Sicario, Mechanic, Hit Man, or whatever version chosen to describe him?

TREC License# 7593
Old 12/7/18, 4:10 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
Home inspectors are not required to shut off the water main in the house, and in fact, doing so could cause more harm than good.

Not every home has a water main. While most houses do, one area I serve on occasion, every house in that area has no main water shut off, only the shut off at the meter.

Home Inspectors are not required to view the water meter. I try, when possible, but it's not always visible. Sometimes it's covered with dirt. Sometimes the entire meter is hidden under landscaping. Sometimes the enclosure the meter is in is filled up with water from rain or irrigation run off.

But lastly, unless it's a significant leak, the meter may not spin much. A pinhole drip leak will barely move the meter, not enough to be visible to the naked eye, without noting where it is, and coming back later to see if it's moved.

And simply noting where it is at the start, and at the end does no good, because any inspector if any value to going to run lots of water during the inspection.
Good advice.
Old 12/7/18, 8:12 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
This is more "pick and choose" BS to make the point they're after. Very likely the inspector made the comment during discussions... "You know, if it was me, I would probably.... blah, blah, blah...".

Remember, we don't even know this actually happened. It could just be a bunch of hokum to get us riled up.

IMO, this whole thread stinks, and reeks of nefarious activities and sales pitches of gimmick vendors!!

Jeffrey R. Jonas
Owatonna, Minnesota

"I am not a teacher, but an awakener."
- Robert Frost, American poet (1874-1963).

"We Respect Our Clients Right to Privacy"

Last edited by jjonas; 12/7/18 at 8:15 AM..
Old 12/7/18, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
IMO, this whole thread stinks, and reeks of nefarious activities and sales pitches of gimmick vendors!!
Agreed, water line insurance propaganda....

Dominic D'Agostino
Home Pride Inspection Services, Inc.
Longwood, FL 32750
407-260-1533
Old 12/7/18, 11:43 PM

It may be BS to some but in Okla we are required by our SOP to ID the shut off for the utilities. It does not mean we operate them but I take a pic of every water meter shut off valve and any additional shut offs. The water meters we use are very sensitive to water flow and any movement is noticeable and I always watch for movement. I do the same at the gas meter.

http://www.oklahomathermalinfraredimaging.com/
http://www.freedomexpressinspections.com/
Master HVAC Mechanic Retired
Level III Thermographer # 8486 Infraspection Institute
CMI Certified Master Inspector
Residential/Commercial Inspections
Moisture Intrusion Expert Witness
55 years in the Trades
Okla State License # 130
580-268-3340
Old 12/8/18, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbottger View Post
It may be BS to some but in Okla we are required by our SOP to ID the shut off for the utilities. It does not mean we operate them but I take a pic of every water meter shut off valve and any additional shut offs. The water meters we use are very sensitive to water flow and any movement is noticeable and I always watch for movement. I do the same at the gas meter.
How do you account for the water heater pilot light or even the water heater burner under this inspection protocol? Inquiring minds want to know how you sniff out a gas leak by meter movement when a constant flow of gas is the normal state.

Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)
Level III Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer (#8402)
HomeCert Houston Home Inspections & Thermal Inspections Find us on Facebook
The Woodlands Home Inspections
Magnolia TX Home Inspections & Thermography

Houston, TX

SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.
Need a home inspection in Illinois? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Illinois certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/8/18, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans View Post
How do you account for the water heater pilot light or even the water heater burner under this inspection protocol? Inquiring minds want to know how you sniff out a gas leak by meter movement when a constant flow of gas is the normal state.

The pilot light on a water heater is not enough flow to make the gas meter dial move any in a two minute period. The two minute protocol is what the local gas company uses to establish if there is a substantial leak. Common sense denotes that one must ensure the burners on any appliance is not operating

http://www.oklahomathermalinfraredimaging.com/
http://www.freedomexpressinspections.com/
Master HVAC Mechanic Retired
Level III Thermographer # 8486 Infraspection Institute
CMI Certified Master Inspector
Residential/Commercial Inspections
Moisture Intrusion Expert Witness
55 years in the Trades
Okla State License # 130
580-268-3340
Old 12/8/18, 10:56 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Send a message via Yahoo to jfunderburk

Quote:

Do you maybe think that inspectors should include this in their jobs...
A home inspection is not "technically exhaustive". There are lots that could be wrong with a house that can't be discovered during the typical 3 hour generalist inspection.

My reports end with this statement: "If you would like a technically exhaustive inspection, we can arrange to have a general contractor, a structural engineer, an electrical engineer, a geo-technical engineer, and others to assist us with the inspection. The inspection would take days. The cost of this inspection would be approximately $10,000."

“The things that will destroy America are peace at any price,
prosperity at any cost, safety first instead of duty first,
the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
Theodore Roosevelt

Joe Funderburk, CBO, CMI
Alpha & Omega Home Inspections, LLC
Inspecting Upstate SC & Charlotte Metro, NC
Angie's List Super Award Winner 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010.
Ph: 704-351-1776
www.aohomeinspection.com