Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

General Inspection Discussion This is a place for general discussion about the home inspection industry. Try to keep the posts topical, but they need not be as specific as the other areas of this board.

Old 12/21/18, 8:45 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Default Re: Is water line connecting the meter to the house subject to a standard Home Inspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayer View Post

But lastly, unless it's a significant leak, the meter may not spin much. A pinhole drip leak will barely move the meter, not enough to be visible to the naked eye, without noting where it is, and coming back later to see if it's moved.
I haven't seen a "spinning" meter in a couple years. All the ones around here are digital. The spinning ones were much easier to use to detect a leak within the line. Not that I do it at a Home Inspection, but have done it on my own property numerous times. In fact, I used to live at top of a hill with meter at the bottom. After a repair mid way in the line, I'd watch the spinner to stop. Sometimes it would stop, then spin backwards a few rotations. I thought that was odd, since it would seem pressure on the street side of the meter would prevent "backflow".

Michael A Clark, Certified Master Inspector«
Inspection Connection
St Albans, West Virginia

"Always tell the truth,
do what you say you will,
and do it Righter than Right...Always"

Facebook

Google Plus

www.charleston-home-inspector.com
www.icwvhomes.com

mclark@icwvhomes.com
Need a home inspection in Illinois? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Illinois certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/21/18, 8:52 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: Is water line connecting the meter to the house subject to a standard Home Inspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark2 View Post
I haven't seen a "spinning" meter in a couple years. All the ones around here are digital.
Same here, and the new ones are all solar, so the display goes blank inside the pit until you shine a flashlight on it..

Dominic D'Agostino
Home Pride Inspection Services, Inc.
Longwood, FL 32750
407-260-1533
Old 12/21/18, 9:24 AM

The meters I see in my area have 2 or 3 different displays. The last, and shortest, display is "00". This one is the leak detector. If there is a number other than zero, "04" for example, water is moving through the meter. It generally takes more than a minute or two to cycle through the displays.
Old 12/21/18, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3 View Post
As you may know, the water company is not responsible for the line b/w the meter and the house, only for the water line to the meter. A home owner is responsible for the water line between the meter and the house.

If for example there is a house 300 feet from the water meter.

A leak somewhere along those 300 feet can easily be diagnosed by shutting off the water main in the house, then simply seeing if the water meter still "spins", question: What do you, as professionals, think about a Home Inspector's claim that a huge cost of replacing this line could not have been prevented because Home Inspectors are responsible for inspecting the house, not what is "outside of the house", more specifically - that the water line between the house and the water meter is not what Home Inspector is paid to inspect.
Thank you for posting.
The inspector would be opening his/her liability to mechanical and material failure,at the main water valve and upstream the water flow. You do not just turn on and off the main water valve.

Robert Young's ​Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
Home Inspections & Building Inspection Services.
Covering on and off islands in greater Montreal and Laval. (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732.
Our Motto: Putting Information Where You Need It Most, "In Your Hands."
https://montreal-home-inspection-services.com