WDI Information

Looking to add WDI Inspections to my services. For the most part I’ve used a third party for various ancillary services but it’s time for me to offer more.

Anyone have recommendations for training to perform this service?

thanks

Is there any requirements with your state?

We do have licensing for Pesticide Application Business but I see nothing for WDI inspections alone. I’m assuming those who perform WDI inspections refer the application of pestidides to another company?

**What is IPM? **
http://www.michigan.gov/images/MDA_ipmsmall_3935_7.gif
[FONT=Arial][size=1]Click on image for PDF version
(Adobe Acrobat required)
[size=2]Purpose: To manage pests with the leastpossible impact on people, property, and[/size] the environment.
Integrated pest management (IPM) is a"pest management system that uses all suitable techniques in a total management system, to prevent pests from reaching unacceptable levels, or to reduce existing pest populations to acceptable levels."
The Natural Resources and EnvironmentalProtection Act, Act 451 of 1994, as amended, and Regulation 637 require that before a pesticide application is made in schools, public buildings, and health care facilities, two things must take place:

1. A pesticide applicator must attend a Michigan Department of Agriculture approved IPM Training Program before making a pesticide application in schools, public buildings, or health care facilities.

2. A verifiable IPM Program must be in place for each building.
    **Who Needs to Comply?**Anyone making a pesticide application in:

3. Schools

Public and private schools kindergarten through twelfth grades, including:

• Any school grades K-12

• Private Schools

• Charter Schools

• Parochial Schools

1. **Health Care Facilities
    **A facility which is not a private home, where people may stay one or more nights and receive medical care, such as a nursing home or hospital.
  2. **Public Buildings
    **A building that is owned or operated by a federal, state, or local government including public universities.IPM Key Facts
    Applicator
    A person who applies pesticides by any method for any purpose at any place.
    Certification
    Certification is required to apply pesticides in a workplace. Certification is not required for pesticide applicators using “general use ready-to-use” pesticides in the course of their employment; however, IPM training is still required. This exemption does not apply to applicators working for a licensed firm.
    Ready-to-use
    Ready-to-use pesticide is any pesticide used directly from its original container, consistent with label directions, and does not require mixing or loading prior to application.
    Pest Control Operator (PCO) or Commercial Applicator
    The PCO shall provide the IPM program and initial service inspection record to the building manager at the time of the initial service.
    Schools/Daycare Centers Only
    The administrator shall provide written notification to parents or guardians of children attending the school of their right to be informed before any pesticide application is made on school property.
    Required Record Keeping Information
  • Site address

• Date of service

• Target pest or pests

• Number of pests found

• Conditions conducive to infestation

• Pest management recommendations

• Structural or habitat modifications

• Name of pesticide or pesticides used

• Quantity of pesticide or pesticides used

• Location where pesticide is applied

• Name of pest control firm used, including their emergency telephone number.
    Steps in Establishing an IPM Program

• Develop an official IPM policy

• Designate pest management roles

• Set pest management objectives

• Inspect site and identify pest or pests

• Set action thresholds

• Apply IPM strategies

• Evaluate results
    IPM Methods

• Mechanical control

• Habitat modification

• Biological control

• Sanitation control

• Physical control

• Chemical control
    **For More Information:****Michigan Department of Agriculture
    **Pesticide & Plant Management Division
    P.O. Box 30017, Lansing, MI 48909
    PH: (517) 373-1087 • FX: (517) 335-4540
    [/size][/FONT]

Call a local termite guy Vince or contact the state ag dept you listed and talk to them.

I perform WDI inspections here in AZ and baisicly have an applicators license. Just did my 6 hour renewal.’

Indiana licenses a WDI inspector as a pesticide applicator even though you are only performing inspections and not applying pesticides. We are licensed through the Indiana Office of the State Chemist. I recommend that you check with your government to see if you are required to be licensed.

A Pesticide applicator’s licence may help you legally but will not help you identify problems in a home. For that you need to do research, learn about the insects, what’s bad and what’s not so bad. Maybe ride-alongs with a pest exterminator, he’ll get referrals from you eventually. :cool:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca