Who are we inspecting for, the realtor or the buyer?

You can make more money NOT by being a hard inspector but by sharing the knowledge you have with your clients.”

This is a quote found about 1/2 way down on this web page!!!

http://www.nachi.org/bestinspection.htm

I think what he’s saying is that your explaining the problem in a neutral manner instead of: “WOW Look At This! Never Saw That Before!” Just my opinion.

I agree with Bobby, I’ve met Jim and he cares deeply about his clients. It’s very easy to freak out a first time home buyer or an inexperienced buyer. There is no need to do that by over emphasizing little things. Mention them of course. You could be doing them a disservice by encouraging them to walk away from a house they really like because of a potential small repair by not explaining in plain language the level of the defect. There are hundreds of defects you may mention without suggesting “further review” by an appropriate trade. I always try to explain to folks that home ownership means giving up a few weekends every year scraping and painting and replacing facucets or what ever. Aclient should walk away from an inspection with a better understanding of the whole house.

I didn’t interpret this statement negatively. It’s easy to go through any house and rip it to shreds, if that is the inspector’s intention. It may feel good for the ego, but it may not be best for the client or your business. I believe that the client is best served when you do a thorough inspection AND take the time to put things in the proper context so that you don’t freak them out over minor issues.

I tell my clients that I invariably generate a long list of issues on every house I inspect, new or otherwise. However, the number of items is not relevant (so don’t freak out at the size of the report). It’s the nature and severity of the individual items that matter. Then we go on to put everything in the right context.

That’s the filter I use when reading Jim’s statement.

BTW: I met Jim in Boulder last week. Very good guy.

All to often home inspectors blow normal preventive maint. issues, all homes require over time way out of proportion. A report can be written in a very thorough, yet non alarming manner. Some of the sample reports I have seen are way to alarming and do the customer no good. If there are voids around the window…Seal them, an open wire splice in the attic…Have an electrician place them in a junction box.

Every home has a problem and every problem has a solution. He just means conveying the inspection findings properly is my take.

Brain,
To answer your question, the Buyer . . . now that I’ve given the answer, did you read the his previous sentence?

*In the video James states, “My goal is to give my clients not just a great home inspection, but a valuable education.” He also states, “You can make more money NOT by being a hard inspector, but by sharing the knowledge you have with your clients.” *

I’m in agreement to those who posted before me, instead of freaking our your client you educate them as you do the inspection, I remember a client as we went through a home she was worried about all the little things, nothing major (like A/C that didn’t work), I asked her to stop and think about all the items . . . and asked do you have similar items in your present resident? . . . she thought for a few minutes as said yes, education as you do your inspection is just as important as the report . . . many items that need attention I refer to as deferred maintenance by the homeowner . . . my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

I agree with posts #2, 3, 4, 5, adn 6.

Yea, what they said

By the way , as this is one of the only Forums I can post in…

MERRY X-Mass to all of you… Be happy :):smiley:

RR you kill me…Hope Jade is Happy…

The video lost all credibility to me when I saw that claim.

I’ve met Jim Krumm. He seems like a decent guy.

I don’t think it is fair to him to pull his quote out of context and infer he is writing “soft” reports.

If you have concerns you should contact him and ask him.

I would suggest that he re-word that statement. I easily took it out of context.

Is he trying to say that you will make more money being an objective, educational inspector; as opposed to being subjective?

Drop him an email or even call him.

Note: He grew up near me and still has family in this area.

Too many big words in that one Nick. :wink:

Tell me about it! If I think up an actual tag line, I’ll drop him an email.