What's the record?

Inspection today had four layers of roof covering!

IMG_3001.jpg

we are tied

Too many to count was mine. :shock:

Are you sure that’s four layers? That bottom layer looks like a starter course. The third “layer” looks like it might be a starter course as well. If either of those are the case, then you have either 3 or 2 layers. (Still not good, but better than 4.)

I cant count this one, because it was back in the construction days…
3 layers of asphalt, and 2 layers of ceder shakes. I personally stripped this one, boy was it a PAIN in my tookus…

I agree with Mark. It looks like 2 layers with a starter course at the bottom of each layer.

And that’s why it more accurate to check from the rake end above the starter course instead of the eave.

hth

I wish I had some photos, but back in my roofing days, we found one theat had SEVEN layers on it. 2 layers of shakes, 2 layers of roll roofing and 3 layers of 3 tabs. Amazing the house didn’t collapse.

Mine is six; a home built in the early 1900’s; 2x4 oak rafters where so bowed that the home was unsafe. First layer was wood, followed by 5 layers of comp.

I thought that at first too but when I looked closer at the grain, they all had slightly different colors and wear.

That’s only two layers kev.

That means it had 4 layers done wrong.

Maybe it’s in the guiness book of records??

I keep stacking until the roof sags, then sell!

Looks like 2 to me… could be 3 with only one starter course… dunno
I’ve seen experienced roofers and AHJ’s make boo boos on site with counting layers… even harder to tell in pictures.

Have seen Shake, then 30lb & rolled roofing :slight_smile: and 2 more layers on top of that. When I saw that one I thought “did the felf and rolled roof go one to level out the shakes (I assume), or was that one ugly job for awhile”. Asked, but was like that at time of purchase I guess.

Ridge was a bit saggy too. Was over an early type of built on site truss system with 2 x 6 top chords and plywood gussets.

All got stripped and I saw the house not all that long ago. Lumber didn’t straighten itself out btw. I’ve heard countless times “It’ll straighten out once the weight is off”

I count from the side , I do not count the starter row

One layer of slate, one layer of selvage edge, one layer of T Lock, and two layers of 3 tab asphalt.

a few perhaps

Go figure…we know how them Texans think everything bigger is better. LOL

I think I have the record. I can’t count the layers.

It’s the Japanese house and garden in Philly’s Fairmount park http://www.shofuso.com. The roof covering is made of layers of thin bark installed by Japanese craftsmen at a cost over $1.5M. It’s probably about 1.5 to 2 ft thick at the swell just back from the rake edge near the peak. The roof, actually the entire house and garden, is a work of art. Its the only combined Japanese house and garden of its type in the US

I did a house the buyer was purchasing from his friend. Together they were installing a fifth layer of asphalt shingles. I tried to talk them into stripping the old off, asking them if they considered the weight factor, but they were determined to go ahead. They were almost half done when I left.

The ONLY time you should ever consider a fifth, is when it is Jim Beam!