window height from floor?

I was doing a mock inspection today and came across a bedroom window on the second story that was only 12 inches from the floor. The window didn’t seem to be at a safe distance and I cant find anything saying what he industry standard would be. anyone dealt with this before?

R312.2.1 Window Sills

In dwelling units, where the top of the sill of an operable window opening is located less than 24 inches (610 mm) above the finished floor and greater than 72 inches (1829 mm) above the finished grade or other surface below on the exterior of the building, the operable window shall comply with one of the following:

1. Operable windows with openings that will not allow a 4-inch-diameter (102 mm) sphere to pass through the opening where the opening is in its largest opened position.

2. Operable windows that are provided with window fall prevention devices that comply with ASTM F2090.

3. Operable windows that are provided with window opening control devices that comply with Section R312.2.2.

R312.2.2 Window Opening Control Devices

Window opening control devices shall comply with ASTM F 2090. The window opening control device, after operation to release the control device allowing the window to fully open, shall not reduce the net clear opening area of the window unit to less than the area required by Section R310.2.1.

email me if you want a diagram with all criteria adairinspex @ hotmail.com (no spaces)

height of windows above the floor