90% of homebuyers used the Internet to find their home

According to statistics provided by the National Association of REALTORS® Profile of Home Buyer and Sellers, www.realtor.org/library/library/fg006: [FONT=Symbol]· Homebuyers took 12 weeks to find a home;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· Homebuyers saw 12 homes before finding their new home;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 30% of all homebuyers are 25 to 34 years of age;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· The median age for a first-time homebuyer is 30; [/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· The median age for all homebuyers is 39;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· Median age for repeat buyers is 48;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 47% of all homebuyers are first-timers;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 53% are repeat buyers;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 1 in 5 homes purchased were of new construction;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 90% of homebuyers used the Internet to find their home;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 84% of REALTORS® use social media to some extent;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 87% used a real estate agent to find their home;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 81% of all homebuyers would use the same agent again;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 77% of all homebuyers drove by and found their new house;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 61% did a walk-through online;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 59% used a yard sign to find their home; [/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 46% used an open house to find their home;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 40% used a newspaper ad; [/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 26% used a home book or magazine;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 84% of buyers reported the photos to be the most useful information;[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· The number one action taken after viewing a home online was to drive by or visit the home; and[/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· 62% of first time buyers reported that the primary reason for buying a home was the desire to be a homeowner.[/FONT]
Let’s use some of that data to identify who your clients are, then we’ll be able to adjust how your business can effectively market to your clients.

Download a free pdf article “4 Steps to Market Success in 23 Minutes” from my site www.bengromicko.com.

That’s some good info Ben. Really shows how people buy their home. Some have asked recently about advertising in home books/magazines. As you can see that’s not the route to go. Internet is king.

Agreed.
We take those statistics and use them to create marketing recommendations for inspectors -

That information is found here as a free pdf article “4 Steps to Market Success in 23 Minutes” from my site www.bengromicko.com.

Ben, I read the 4 steps and it was very timley. We are just getting ready to kick it into gear. Thank you.

We love emails like these…from Larry Losciale <csi.inspections@yahoo.com>
*to *
ben@mountain-association.org
date
*Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Ben,
I just got my first inspection off my new website and, yes, the 100 day logo made a differance. They found me and “several others” through google but when I asked him why they choose me he said he liked the 100 day warrentee. Just thought you’d like to know.

I have the flyer pdf. file but would like it in word format please. I wanted to put it on the website with my company info on it.

Thank again,

Larry Losciale

Which is it? It can’t be both. and “46% used an open house to find their home” i don’t believe it. Sounds like someone is full of it.

Home buyers use multiple sources to find a home AND inspector.
Here you go…
Picture 10.png
I wouldn’t be surprised that a homebuyer will find an InterNACHI member using www.inspectorseek.com AND through an agent referral.
It’s not an “either or”.
It’s both. It’s all.
But it’s mostly via the Internet and via their agent.

Picture 10.png

Picture 10.png

Picture 10.png

That would be like saying 90% of my clients find me from my website and 80% from a agent. :shock:

Exactly. Not mutually exclusive.

Yeah, this poll doesn’t seem to apply to home inspectors.

I’d say 90% of my customers come from Real Estate Agents and 10% from online.

I have agents who send me everyone of their clients which clearly shows the majority of home buyers ask their agents for the name of a home inspector.

I believe it’s just as effective to have 10 good agents than to be listed as #1 on Google. Just my opinion.

Where are prospective clients?

They are online touring new homes, researching schools, emailing their real estate agents, shopping for mortgages, and looking for home inspectors. And since you will not have an opportunity to sell your inspection services in person, it is important that your website be capable of doing your selling for you.

Reading the NAR stats you posted, it would seem to be a No Brainer for INACHI to Market to NAR on the Internet to get the INACHI Members some more business???

How many of those homes were inspected? If so how did they find the inspector would be a better statistic.

Yes.

and
http://www.nachi.org/inspection-leads.htm

But once a prospective homebuyer gets to your site, does your site have what it takes to convert them into calling you?

A lot.
There were studies done in 2001 and 2003 (stats are below). A lot has changed since then, but the perceived value of a home inspection has not.

• The majority of home buyers (77%) had a home inspection prior to purchasing their home.
  • REALTORS® reported that 84% of home buyers requested a home inspection as part of their contract.
  • Almost all REALTORS® (99%) recommend a home buyer to have a home inspection.
  • Most REALTORS® (84%) have not had sellers contracts terminated as a result of an inspection.

I believe today, these stats are about the same.
Most REALTORS recommend a home buyer to have a home inspection. Most home buyers use the Internet to find their home and their home inspector.

The question is: Is your site designed for converting visitors into callers? This might help. Free pdf article on marketing.

This question has been asked many times. Still no answer?

Answer:
Do not expect NAR to make it policy for their members (agents) to refer work to InterNACHI inspectors. Not going to happen. If it were only that easy.

Therefore, it’s upon the inspector’s shoulders. Marketing your business is a burden each inspector bears.

InterNACHI provides plenty ammo, but the inspector has “got to take the shot.”

Marketing is often seen as a chore. Many inspectors barely go beyond a sign on the truck and a business card. It’s is much more than just putting up a standard website. And your association can’t do it for you.

I recently wrote an article that might be helpful. It’s been downloaded over 300 times in the past week. It’s free. “4 Steps to Marketing Success in 23 Minutes”](http://www.bengromicko.com/4-steps-to-marketing-success-in-23-minutes.aspx) Should only take about 23 minutes to read.InterNACHI marketing for it’s members via the Internet:

And your Association will not even try… :wink: