Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors Discuss whatever you wish in this forum.

Old 5/29/18, 7:06 PM
Active Poster

Default New article: Pre-Drywall Inspections.

Pre-Drywall Inspections - InterNACHI
Need a home inspection in Minnesota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Minnesota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/29/18, 10:37 PM
Emmanuel J. Scanlan, TREC# 7593 Emmanuel J. Scanlan, TREC# 7593 is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: New article: Pre-Drywall Inspections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post

Good article but not sure where this came from??

Quote:
A pre-drywall inspection can be performed after the insulation is installed, which is convenient because it allows the home inspector to determine whether it was done properly. However, the insulation may conceal some components in much of the same way that drywall does.

I would not perform a pre-drywall inspection with insulation installed! There is a reason that professional insulation installers wear respirators and protective suits when they install the insulation. Airborne fibers and contaminants can still be present even after the insulation is in. Once the drywall is up those are typically contained and not a problem.

Another reason is noted in the article that very important details WILL BE obscured! For the same reason I won't do the inspection with insulation in I certainly would NEVER move insulation to see any of those important details.

If visibly seeing the insulation is important (Vs. using thermal imaging later) then an additional insulation inspection can be performed using proper safety gear and the time in the house is much less than a full pre-drywall inspection.

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

http://www.psinspection.com

TREC License# 7593
ICC Residential Combination Inspector
#5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)
Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!
Old 5/30/18, 10:27 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Default Re: New article: Pre-Drywall Inspections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Good article but not sure where this came from??

I would not perform a pre-drywall inspection with insulation installed! There is a reason that professional insulation installers wear respirators and protective suits when they install the insulation. Airborne fibers and contaminants can still be present even after the insulation is in. Once the drywall is up those are typically contained and not a problem.

Another reason is noted in the article that very important details WILL BE obscured! For the same reason I won't do the inspection with insulation in I certainly would NEVER move insulation to see any of those important details.

If visibly seeing the insulation is important (Vs. using thermal imaging later) then an additional insulation inspection can be performed using proper safety gear and the time in the house is much less than a full pre-drywall inspection.
I agree, but not because of air quality. You can't see much with the insulation installed. Air sealing should be intact for the inspection though. A pre-drywall inspection is done at the same stage as the framing inspection by AHJ, which is before the main insulation is installed. Insulation is a separate inspection by AHJ in my area. I think an ICC cert, or a thorough knowledge of the building code is certainly recommended for phase inspections.

Brad K Toye
ITC/FLIR Level I Building Investigation Thermographer
FL Certified Building Contractor CBC034303
FL Certified Home Inspector HI 391
FL Certified Mold Assessor MRSA 589

727-403-5029
Lecsi2@gmail.com
www.LeadingEdgeInspectionServices.com