Awesome Nachi Tool

Hey guys, it’s not often that you get a “printed NACHI” item that you can say this about…but this one is great!

I just got a shipment from NACHI HQ and in it were some NACHI Microwave Testers…this is a cool thing!

Nick, this is one thing that our guys in the field will really get some use out of…to say nothing about how it impresses those watching.

Nick, can you send me some more so that I can give them out at our next event?

OH, plan on stocking these!

I had one and it was cool. Then I left it in a microwave at an inspection when I left. Oh well, back to using water in a plastic cup.

Ron…I too left one at a clients…but based on the availability I made sure i went back and got it!

Tell you what, if Nick doesnt send you another one, I will send you one of ours!

By the way, I made my own prior to using this one…here is the recipe:

1. Take one transparent 35M film container (usually can get them free at any film developing center)

2. Take any LED light from an old toy or even the cheap circuit testers (christmas lights work also, they just dont seem to be as bright or give the strobe effect)

3. Be sure to cut of the prongs as close to the bulb as possible

4. Place bulb in 35M container

5. Place 35M container with bulb in microwave and prepare to be amazed!

For fun, place multiple color LED bulbs in and watch them strobe!

If you cant make them or want one from me, I will be glad to send one to you for lets say 5.00 plust shipping :slight_smile:

CAUTION: Be sure to not run for more than 10 to 15 seconds…bulbs can POP.

I got a couple and handed them out at the Chapter meeting.

Then I went home and reverse engineered one. The parts cost about $5.

Better than my old tested (a hampster) and less messy

Help

What are we testing for??

Temp rise on 8 oz of water in 1 min is a good test – problem – it takes one min.

Did NACHI – (Nick) get taken to the cleaners

rlb

The problem with some people is that when they aren’t drunk, they’re sober.

Hey Richard,

Nick (NACHI) commissioned some cool small “microwave testers” which were etched with NACHI on them as giveaways.

These testers are used for 20Secs or less and the idea is that IF they light up then the micro is working. And if they go out in areas then there are cold spots.

Similar to the MICROCHEK Microwave Oven Leak Detector, but much smaller

http://www.professionalequipment.com/product_images/q710_product.jpg

I dont use water with a cup for 3 reasons:

1. I am using the clients dishes (some homes I do are 2+ Million and the sellers are VERY finiky :twisted:
  2. I dont carry ceramic microwave dishes in my tool belt :wink:
    *]In one case I dropped a client dish and broke it :(. And of course the client had to replace the whole set because that set was not sold anylonger at Nieman Marcus:shock:…so that tester cost me over $300.00 (was cheaper than having my G/L deductible)

I fount that they tend to burn up in about 10-15 sec. I had one that I tested at my house and I thought it was cool. Later that day I drove 45min. to my mothers and showed it to her and in 10 sec. it started on fire.

I find them to be a one use item. The NACHI Tribal I think is much safer.

I once did a search for microwave testers and found NACHI was giving away pouches filled with secret microwave load testing stuff. :wink: Can these be used with testers, to prevent burnout, and are they readily available.

Rather than a cup of water, or buying a client a new dish set [yikes].

tom

What do you mean by “with”?

Depends on the definition of “it”…

:wink:

Meaning, in conjunction. As in using an internal tester, you can toss the bean bag in back, while testing with the tester. I was shown to put the tester in the center, test, move to a corner, test, move to another corner, etc, etc. Later I was told that using any tester without something to absorb the waves could potentially damage/shorten the life of a microwave. Which led to me thinking I had to have a cup of water too.

Now for testing for leakage, it seems that with the warning I was given [no empty microwave], that something has to be in there to check the seals.

Oh, btw, I’m asking, not telling, so correct me where I’m wrong or need better information.

later,

tom

I have used this MOP to test MW for years. I just found a copy of it on the Internet so for anyone that wants to tell their client how well the MW is working - here is how – I use a plastic container with a one liter mark on it

Fill a Microwave-safe container with 1 carefully measured liter of water, preferably at room temperature, about 70F, and measure its temperature (Fahrenheit) as accurately as possible. Write that temp. down, and place the container in the MW. Set the timer for 2:03, and hit start. (If yours is a ‘mechanical timer’ type, with just a dial, use a stopwatch - this must be accurately timed.)

Carefully measure the ‘end’ temperature and multiply the difference by 19.4. The result is the approximate energy gain in watts. (I know you’re wondering about those 3 seconds - it takes about that long for the magnetron tube’s filament to heat and start to ‘fire’, and we want exactly 2 minutes of heating)

Harvey:

For my 2pm inspections, I bring a cooler. I break out a frozen Healthy Choice meal. I am eating good in about 4 1/2 minutes.

All kidding aside, I need to get a hold of the NACHI bag.

Guys, what does all this mean? Do we really want to determine ‘how well’ a microwave works? Doesn’t this increase liability? Using water, or perhaps a bit of butter in a tiny plastic contain I pack with me, I can say that the microwave does heat the item - I can’t imagine saying or doing tests that would lead the customer to believe that I implied that it was (or is) working perfectly. A sophisticated test (or tester) may lead us down a risky patch? :shock: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

Yes I can see that checking a MW with a cup of water and a the temp rise in a certain amount of time might be too much

What ever one is comfortable with

rlb

A pat of butter or a high tech state of the art, really impressive tester? HMMM… that’s a tough one. Let’s see… we use the circuit tester to see if outlets work… instead why don’t we just wet our fingers? Circuit tester could report falsely and our liability goes up!! Wait, split differential on an A/C is only at 8. Maybe it’s a bad thermometer. Maybe we should just say it feels cold so our liability doesn’t go up?
So… A pat of butter or a high tech state of the art, really impressive tester?
Every time I use it, my client’s my Realtor, the seller, are impressed that I am testing equipment with high tech state of the art equipment, and not just warming something up. If you can get one of these testers, you’ll love it!
</IMG></IMG>

:stuck_out_tongue: I use the MW tester I got from NACHI in Aug. and have not had a problem. I like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hummmm, you working with Jack Danial’s right now Richard? :shock:
</IMG>

If anyone would like one of the NACHI testers let me know as I have 7 left.

Nick & Deanna, they went quick at the show I had to hide some for myself… Thank you again.:smiley:

[quote=sbyrnes]
A pat of butter or a high tech state of the art, really impressive tester? HMMM… that’s a tough one. Let’s see… we use the circuit tester to see if outlets work… instead why don’t we just wet our fingers?

I tried putting the cup of water next to the outlet - didn’t tell me anything. Then, I put my finger into the water - still didn’t tell me anything. Then, put my wetted fingers across the big black things inside a big gray box and lordy - my straight hair got all kinky. Then, I attempted to stick my head in the microwave but it wouldn’t turn on - but did work with the water.

If I want to know if an outlet works, I could plug in a cheap and simple lamp - it is a functional check, not a performance check. (I like to check for a functional ground so i use the three-prong ‘high-tech’ tester because I don’t know of another and cheaper way.) :slight_smile:
</IMG>